Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Saw tonight. Not especially spoilery as most of things are in trailers. A lot of retconning and shoe-horning the emperor/sith homeworld into things - that should have been its own seperate offshoot movie. No idea also why the emperor HAD to be the villain, everyone believed he was dead at ROTJ and it should have been left that way or they should have had a much stronger plotline about same. Funny also how they used the force to do whatever they basically wanted to move "story" forward. I think given the position everyone was put in after TLJ it wasn't a terrible effort but just not worthy of being the final chapter (of nine).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Just out. Really liked it. Will digest more and post more tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Haven't quite unpacked the whole thing but I'm pretty happy with the experience. A lot of fun was had.

There is no doubt that the lack of direction for the whole trilogy has been problematic. It is regrettable. Retconning, U-turns, rehashing, different antagonists... they are very obvious. Must as I enjoyed TLJ, it's clearly the cause of a lot of problems.

But I don't get too wound up about these thing whens I'm enjoying myself, and pretty soon after the opening crawl disavowed TLJ , i found myself sucked into the SW universe again. It's daft fun if you leave your inner critic in the lobby.

Going to see it again this weekend with the kids, and quite happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Drumpot wrote: »
    I thought the opening was superb, some really nice bits in it. Only regret I have is that
    Palpatine wasn’t hinted in other 2 movies, really could of built him up more in them.
    They can add in an Emperor laugh here and a bit of lightning there in the previous two...
    Or something like that. One thing is clear - there needs to be an eventual 'remaster' or 'studio edit' to bring it all together a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dades wrote: »
    Haven't quite unpacked the whole thing but I'm pretty happy with the experience. A lot of fun was had.

There is no doubt that the lack of direction for the whole trilogy has been problematic. It is regrettable. Retconning, U-turns, rehashing, different antagonists... they are very obvious. Must as I enjoyed TLJ, it's clearly the cause of a lot of problems.

But I don't get too wound up about these thing whens I'm enjoying myself, and pretty soon after the opening crawl disavowed TLJ , i found myself sucked into the SW universe again. It's daft fun if you leave your inner critic in the lobby.

Going to see it again this weekend with the kids, and quite happy to do so.

I think this sums up how I feel well. Gonna go see it tomorrow without the kids so I can hopefully take more in.

I came out thinking 7/8 out of 10, some really enjoyable moments.

When I saw some of the cra cra reviews I was just thinking, “TLJ - not our luke” , “TROS - stop retconning everything to try and undo crap that upset us in TLJ”...

Could it of been better! Yes, yes it could, but it’s nowhere near as bad as anybody under a 6 star review is making out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

J Mysterio wrote: »
    They can add in an Emperor laugh here and a bit of lightning there in the previous two...
    Or something like that. One thing is clear - there needs to be an eventual 'remaster' or 'studio edit' to bring it all together a bit more.

That’s true. He wasn’t in ANH and was barely in TESB. Just a shame his stamp wasn’t hinted when they were released as I love that character.

Found
    Palpatine in this one a bit harder to follow and warm to but that’s because he’s been gone for decades!

I fear you just cant accept majority critical opinion or public opinion anymore. Aggregate sites like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes might be helpful a lot of the time, but you can't swear by them. I really enjoyed this and it has been terribly reviewed. Likewise, I thought The Irishman to be a big disappointment and a chore to watch - incredible reviews.

Best to use your own judgement or those you know and trust. Too much mass mania and hysteria around these days. Websites that wanna generate clicks and people who want to be the first to have merked a 'bad film'/ praised a 'good film'. You can build an whole career around attaching yourself to this shıt. Like the prick who cries during Star Wars trailers - could you imagine watching this in the cinema with that fella?

I liked the bit where they shot the lasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That felt like an inter-dimensional cable episode.

Oh the emperor is back and, ah,... Rey is his daughter and she heals a snake, Han is back as a ghost, no Ben is just remembering, yeah he's ben now again, oh, and the knights of ren are in it too and they fight ben for some reason and the emperor grows his fingers back now and then Rey dies and ben heals her and twin suns

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seen it tonight, and id give it no more than a 6/10.

Maybe I need to see it a second time, but I was disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mod warning:

Please use spoiler tags folks. Also please don't quote posts that don't contain spoiler tags complaining that they don't have tags. If you don't know how to use spoiler tags or couldn't be bothered, don't post unless you want to lose access to the forum, possibly forever. We'll add a warning to the title soon enough, probably over the weekend, but the film is just out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

AMKC wrote: »
    I was not mad about the opening myself. What happened to you can't just jump here there and everywhere like that you need co-ordinate stardates whatever they use in Star Wars. Han would not have been impressed. They could have ran into a star or a planet.

Think you mean "run into a supermarket." :)

If you had the same flash back to the audition tapes from the 70's trailer before the film as I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

this was fine, not amazing but not terrible either. Just grand. My 12 year old son really liked it so that will do in my book.
    I don't feel like my childhood has been ruined or anything ;-)

AMKC wrote: »
    I was not mad about the opening myself. What happened to you can't just jump here there and everywhere like that you need co-ordinate stardates whatever they use in Star Wars. Han would not have been impressed. They could have ran into a star or a planet.
    "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs"

I think he would be fine with it, given his own creative license.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well well well, what can be said?

There was certainly a few bit of head in hands moments and groans from the audience so I was not on my own.
    The humour side was spot on, well distributed and nice to hear laughter in a SW movie.
    Seemed like a lot of new stuff going on, I mean BOOM no intro as it was right into it.
    100% copy and paste from a previous SW instalment in some pivotal scenes.

Ultimately we have a lot to thank Adam Driver for, his screen presence was immense, just his demeanour alone far outshone the other actors.
    He was the backbone of this trilogy.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    I'm just amazed no one runs out of fuel in the whole movie:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

This film felt much more of a salvage mission as a result of what was left from TLJ. In that respect, the movie does its job, it was an enjoyable Star Wars film which did its best to clean the mess from TLJ.

I certainly don't think this film is how they envisaged finishing the franchise when TFA came out, but I enjoyed it none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I was a bit shell shocked by the end, I was like I didn't enjoy that and I was gutted I felt that way. Waking today having thought about it I know now why i didn't enjoy it, it was a complete mess of a movie. In a world where fans were upset about medicolorian count, the rise of skywalker just did want the feck it wanted and to hell with what anyone thinks. Chewie for me stole the show in one very small scene...

Better then last jedi but not by much, miles away from episode 7 and galaxies away from the original trilogy.

Thanks god for the mandelorian!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its better than Attack of the Clones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Enjoyable enough, though ridiculous, as a single Star Wars film – but as the final part of a trilogy it falls well short.

Kind of a mess really. Less of a story in three parts, more like two (or more) film-makers arguing with each other. None of what was setup in Force Awakens seemed to matter to The Last Jedi, and this film continues that tradition.

Whatever you might think of Last Jedi, we'd probably have been better off without it and for this third part to be split over episodes 8 and 9. It felt disjointed and rushed as a single film.

And I never did develop any care or affection towards Ray, Finn, Poe, LaLa, Dipsy, or whoever. No weight to those characters at all.

Goodshape wrote: »
    And I never did develop any care or affection towards Ray, Finn, Poe, LaLa, Dipsy, or whoever. No weight to those characters at all.

Yeah they didn't
    develop past their first 5 minutes on screen when they were introduced. I was hoping one of them died to be honest.

I enjoyed it for the most part though. Albeit with low expectations. Visuals and sound were off the chart good. As good as I've seen. Was funny in parts, reasonably well acted and the score was glorious obviously.

The MAXX in Rathmines really is a great cinema.

Everything is better than Attack of the Clones.

I saw a review where they were insisting the second film of each trilogy was the best? :confused: People just talk out of their arse when it comes to Star Wars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'm just amazed no one runs out of fuel in the whole movie:pac:

Most of the rebel fleet ran out of fuel in the The Last Jedi.

They died.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Most of the rebel fleet ran out of fuel in the The Last Jedi.

They died.

<waves hand> You don't need to worry about that.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Everything is better than Attack of the Clones.

I saw a review where they were insisting the second film of each trilogy was the best? :confused: People just talk out of their arse when it comes to Star Wars

Outside of Empire thats madness. But yeah, for some reason Star Wars brings out the worst in people. Everyone wants to relieve their childhood via these new movies and when it doesn't happen they get really annoyed.

"Not like it was in my day" stuff on steroids. Its hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched this last night.

Until I read this thread, I hadn't realized the impact the plot of TLJ would have on this film.
    The decision here to effectively annul all of those choices really makes the second film redundant, and overall I think it has a very negative impact on the trilogy. Revealing Palpatine was behind everything - despite not a hint of this in the first two, and then re-explaining Rey's parents thing made the whole thing look poorly planned out. Smaller things, like Finn's romance with Rose in the last film were completely disregarded this time around.

ROS seemed to want to echo a lot of the original trilogy, with Ren turning on the emperor the same way Vader eventually did. It felt a bit tired and unoriginal. I think JJ can make a really good looking film that the fans love, but doesn't really have the originality of ideas that Rian has. I actually prefered TFA to TLJ, but I felt ROS was the weakest of the three.

Unfortunately we've been left with a mix of artistic visions, and I think that's what made this a disappointment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I enjoyed it. It was never gonna be a masterpiece. But its better than the Last Jedi.

Its a shame JJ didn't direct all movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Goodshape wrote: »
    Enjoyable enough, though ridiculous, as a single Star Wars film – but as the final part of a trilogy it falls well short.

Kind of a mess really. Less of a story in three parts, more like two (or more) film-makers arguing with each other. None of what was setup in Force Awakens seemed to matter to The Last Jedi, and this film continues that tradition.

Whatever you might think of Last Jedi, we'd probably have been better off without it and for this third part to be split over episodes 8 and 9. It felt disjointed and rushed as a single film.

This was what I said walking out last night.... there was so much crammed into episode 9 while episode 8 had an entire hour of pointless plot. Episode 9 is not a terrible movie, but it is not a good movie either.

Advertisement