Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

As a kids movie it works really weell even the Kylo Rey relationship. As an adult that relationship (which I blame Rian Johnson for continuing and growing in the second movie) is pretty icky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

I thought this was rubbish. I was tempted to walk out on more than one occasion but couldn't leave knowing I had spent money on a ticket so held out till the end. So many eye rolling moments. None of the humour landed for me - the only chuckle I got from it was the first scene with Babu and probably Poes attempt at seduction near the end.

I'm not a Star Wars fan TBH - but even so I've seen all of the movies except Solo which I'll rectify in the coming days. I have to say though this was the worst of the lot IMO. Just did nothing for me.

Now the saga is over I can say I told you so to everyone I know for what I have been saying all along since the originals. Star Wars is NOTHING without Harrison Ford's Han Solo. He salvaged every movie he was in including Force Awakens.

The worst part of this movie was the Leia reenactment. No disrespect to Carrie Fisher as it's not any reflection on her, but I thought it was awfully done. It was like one of those youtube videos where they edit a scene of a movie and stick in a character from another movie. Well I mean that is literally what it was. Awful cringeworthy stuff.

A computer augmented actor like they did in Rogue would have worked much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Now the saga is over I can say I told you so to everyone I know for what I have been saying all along since the originals. Star Wars is NOTHING without Harrison Ford's Han Solo. He salvaged every movie he was in including Force Awakens.

Yeah that is very interesting to think about really, most people assume Luke was the lead protagonist for the audience to empathise with, but it really is Han Solo who performs that role. Hes the most half believable character in the first one, when hes first introduced hes a bit of a rogue, bit dodgy, he also is suspicious of all the fantastic jedi magic talk which helps ground it a bit for the audience. Take him out a good bit of that grounding is gone. Probably why the start of ROTJ is so enjoyable because the gang are rescuing him back.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I thought quite clearly the best things were the things that had their seeds in TLJ. Rey and Kylo mainly. Finn and Poe I thought actually were underdeveloped in this and could have done with a bit more character development. I guess that was one of the things that the TLJ backtracking couldn't really sustain. Poe's love interest felt quite tacked on and an obvious result.

Overall I enjoyed it despite it's problems but I wonder what it could have been with a few more risks and a more satisfying end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    While I enjoyed watching it, it was only when I started thinking more about it on the way home (30 minute drive), did a few things start to bug me:
    So Palpatine has the cunning to manipulate the Republic into a galactic civil war, which was done so under the direct noses of the Jedi council, but can't get his son (who no doubt lived a privileged life) on board with the plan? Surely his son would have seen Palpatine in the same light as being the victim of the Jedi betrayal?
    That all of a sudden, Leia and Luke can sense people's lineage where the person in question has no clue who they are themselves! Clearly they didn't watch the first trilogy where Princess Leia, a high profile member of the Imperial Senate, lay undetected for years! It wasn't even an uncanny resemblance but Luke's feelings that betrayed her!
    And forget Korriban / Moraband, we now have a new ancestral home of the Sith - I think the film would have worked better if the fleet of "planet killer" star destroyers where a remnant from the Old Republic that were buried in secret on Korriaban. At least then, they are world building rather than just expanding into the unknown regions
    Rey healing the giant worm using her new MacGuffin force power to enable her to heal Rylo later on!
    Their amazement during the speeder chase that jet troopers exist!
    Reference to the 'Holdo' maneuver being a 1 in million chance!
    Rey sh*tting on her parents memory, who scarified themselves to keep her safe, by adopting the name 'Skywalker'

I think I'll be forgetting about this trilogy in the same way that Home Alone 3 doesn't exist to people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

again what about all the conscripted people on the baddies ships, do they really all deserve to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The worst part of this movie was the Leia reenactment. No disrespect to Carrie Fisher as it's not any reflection on her, but I thought it was awfully done. It was like one of those youtube videos where they edit a scene of a movie and stick in a character from another movie. Well I mean that is literally what it was. Awful cringeworthy stuff.

A computer augmented actor like they did in Rogue would have worked much better.
    I think they were put it a really difficult position as a result of Fishers death but I think going down the digitally rendered version of Leia route would have been a very very bad idea.

a lot more leia in it then I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

No in-depth review here, perhaps when I see it again. For now, I thought it was a decent but flawed effort to wrap it all up.

My pointless contribution to this thread is merely to say Finn has to be the worst and most annoying character of at least this trilogy, surely? I mean, I find Jar-Jar more palatable, tbh. The amount of time he screams 'Reeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy' / 'Pooooooooeeeeee' / 'Woooooooooooo' (especially in TFA, when he barely knows Rey) is cringe-inducing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don’t think the Leia scenes work at all here: it clearly plays out like what it is, random snippets of discarded dialogue stitched together in a bid to make it sound like a coherent conversation. It does not sound like a proper conversation, and there is inevitably zero chemistry or dynamism between the characters conversing because one of the actors isn’t there. The trilogy probably needed a Ben / Leia reunion as a climactic emotional beat, and that is sadly if completely understandably missed. They do what they can to address that given the footage they have, but it falls short IMO.

That said, I don’t blame the filmmakers for this one. I don’t think it works, but the circumstances were impossible and all the options imperfect. An opening crawl death for Leia could have done the job perhaps more effectively, but it is a tad crass. I think Abrams creates almost all of the film’s many problems by his own volition, but the storytelling dilemma created by Carrie Fisher’s tragic death was one with no ideal solution. And having some of the key scenes play out in silent silhouette was a classy and sensible move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

While I enjoyed watching it, it was only when I started thinking more about it on the way home (30 minute drive), did a few things start to bug me:
    So Palpatine has the cunning to manipulate the Republic into a galactic civil war, which was done so under the direct noses of the Jedi council, but can't get his son (who no doubt lived a privileged life) on board with the plan? Surely his son would have seen Palpatine in the same light as being the victim of the Jedi betrayal?
    Think the timeline doesn't quite work for the son to have been brought up by Palpatine. Reys parents are the same generation as Luke and Leia, so after Palpatine became the Emperor. Maybe they were a couple of years older, but not much.

Rey sh*tting on her parents memory, who scarified themselves to keep her safe, by adopting the name 'Skywalker'
    Her parents had already denied the link to Palpatine in order to protect Rey and her to be brought up as a nobody so that Palpatine couln't find her. Must have been some other goings on for the son to realise the link to Palpatine himself, whilst nobody else in the galaxy did, but that is probably for another film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I really think that:
    The wrong kid died! They should have allowed Rey to die with Ben Solo not being able to resurrect her then Force Ghost Luke could show up to tell him he'll help him complete his training. The film could end with Ben training with Finn and broom kid from TLJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Been looking forward to this more than the actual movie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Venom wrote: »
    Been looking forward to this more than the actual movie :pac:

Great review of Marriage Story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

One bit of fan service I did like
    Chewie finally got his medal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Very enjoyable, will catch it again next week, aimed at SW fans like me who saw it in the cinema in 77 and were obsessed with it.

Anyone spot
    C3P0 actor in human form? He was flying one of the spacecraft in the final battle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone spot
    C3P0 actor in human form? He was flying one of the spacecraft in the final battle
    That was probably Denis Lawson you spotted (Wedge Antilies), who happens to also be Ewan McGregors uncle.

robinph wrote: »
    That was probably Denis Lawson you spotted (Wedge Antilies), who happens to also be Ewan McGregors uncle.

Ha, I thought he looked a bit on the heavy side :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Very enjoyable, will catch it again next week, aimed at SW fans like me who saw it in the cinema in 77 and were obsessed with it.

I saw it in 77, have loved it all my life and hated this film. Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

robinph wrote: »

Anthony Daniels = Denis Lawson now?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anthony Daniels = Denis Lawson now?

Nope, old bloke in an x-wing = Denis Lawson, old skinny bloke wearing a golden helmet = Anthony Daniels.

1.5 seconds of screen time = someone unsure about which old bloke they saw on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The film contains so much fan service that it's easy for someone to get their wires crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not really a spoiler but did anyone else notice
    John Williams
    cameo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I don't think it was aimed at those people who are long time fans or in any way "Obsessed". I think it was aimed at those people who have seen the originals a couple of times and know their Darth Vader from their C3PO but that's about it. Sort of like how Abram's Star Trek films were aimed at very casual fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

py2006 wrote: »
    Not really a spoiler but did anyone else notice
    John Williams
    cameo?

Was that him in an x wing at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I really think that:
    The wrong kid died! They should have allowed Rey to die with Ben Solo not being able to resurrect her then Force Ghost Luke could show up to tell him he'll help him complete his training.

We are all woke now though.

The film could end with Ben training with Finn and broom kid from TLJ.

Having watched episodes I-VIII in the last 2 weeks to get into the groove, and seen IX last night, I would have preferred Rian Johnson to have written this alongside JJ Abrams. Like the possible GB Shaw/Isadora Duncan-style progeny, this may have gone the worst of ways, but it could have got the best out of both. I liked Johnson going commando with the storyline in TLJ to shake things up, but Abrams' bending the storyline back into shape makes the film look like a film bent back into shape. The two of then together might have fashioned a less artificial story denouement, with less crammed into it.
    For me, the roller-coaster thrill outweighed the eye-rolling during some of the scenes, giving it a pretty spectacular last episode. But the thoughts of how the storyline was readjusted rankles. The set pieces were all quite enjoyable, but like the sugar rush of candy floss with grit in it, its the grit that lasts longer.

Rian Johnson has confirmed he wasn't given any story :(
    it had never been suggested to him that Rey
    was Palpantines granddaughter
    never ever? so they could both do they whole her parents aren't important thing

who the f is reading this thread who hasn't seen this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Peatys wrote: »
    Was that him in an x wing at the end?

No. I think he was a bartender on Kijimi.

Advertisement