Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Christmas Day Gripe! - Finn’s promotion to General was laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Whatever you can say about TLJ, it had memorable and meaningful dialogue.

:pac:

Like the Hux prank call?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    :pac:

Like the Hux prank call?

No, like “the greatest teacher, failure is”, “let the past die, kill it if you have to” and “we are what they grow beyond”.
    Y’know, memorable lines.
    The script for The Rise of Skywalker sounded like it was written in a fourth class project.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

No, like “the greatest teacher, failure is”, “let the past die, kill it if you have to” and “we are what they grow beyond”.
    Y’know, memorable lines.
    The script for The Rise of Skywalker sounded like it was written in a fourth class project.

So far as I can see, those lines simply disavow Star Wars tradition and heritage, which is what Johnson seemingly purposefully and unabashedly sought to do. I don't have big love for them. I certainly don't see why it's particularly clever to reverse or shıt on convention and decades of world building as he chose to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

J Mysterio wrote: »
    So far as I can see, those lines simply disavow Star Wars tradition and heritage, which is what Johnson seemingly purposefully and unabashedly sought to do. I don't have big love for them. I certainly don't see why it's particularly clever to reverse or shıt on convention and decades of world building as he chose to do.

TLJ doesn't disavow SW tradition or the past. Kylo does but he's the villain. Listen to what Luke says at the end: he repudiates Ben's "kill the past" worldview, telling him that the past will always be with him. However, the perception that TLJ endorses Kylo is a commonly held misunderstanding of it, even by some of its admirers.

But even if TLJ did disrespect SW's past, TROS does far worse. It completely undercuts the end of ROTJ (Palps survived so Anakin's sacrifice meant nothing), retcons or sidesteps TLJ (Rey's parents, Luke's sacrifice, Kylo becoming Supreme leader all might as well not have happened) and even TFA (Leia was a Jedi all along capable of training Rey and reaching out to her son via the Force to make him good again, so they didn't really need Luke).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

This trilogy now falls behind the prequels for me.

(Leia was a Jedi all along capable of training Rey and reaching out to her son via the Force to make him good again, so they didn't really need Luke).

Also, why did she willingly take on a Palpatine yet send her son away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    It was actually entertaining IMO, much better than TLJ and it did not let politics ruin the story. The pacing was fast but easy to follow, However the story is really stupid and the reason for things happening is really childish, I had already written the movie off and looked into the leaks which all turned out to be true so maybe knowing the story ahead of time prepared me for the worst but it was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It was actually entertaining IMO, much better than TLJ and it did not let politics ruin the story. The pacing was fast but easy to follow, However the story is really stupid and the reason for things happening is really childish, I had already written the movie off and looked into the leaks which all turned out to be true so maybe knowing the story ahead of time prepared me for the worst but it was alright.
    Childish is an interesting choice of word as I would describe Star Wars, from episode 1 to 9 as mostly standard fare. I mean if you watch the OT back now it's hardly high intellectual stuff.

But people fell in love with the world all the same. I would argue The Mandalorian is hardly groundbreaking stuff but it succeeds big time by hitting the right notes within the fan base.

I was surprised to enjoy it. I read a few headlines in advance so I was expecting it to be complete garbage. Rey became an interesting character once her backstory was fleshed out a bit (however improbable). Kylo Ren is head and shoulders the most interesting character throughout the prequels so him and Rey had some good moments. The rest of the characters are awful. I'd like to see an edit without them entirely. As a stand alone film given the mess JJ Abrahms inherited, they didn't do a terrible job. Some of it didn't make a huge load of sense under scrutiny but it's star wars. About halfway through, I genuinely started to enjoy and I had no idea which direction it was going to go.

I enjoyed each film in this trilogy, but as a trilogy, its pretty bad. The prequels actually make more coherent sense over the three films but I definitely enjoyed these three more on a whole.

• Advertisement

The horses riding along the star destroyers: fcuking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Childish is an interesting choice of word as I would describe Star Wars...

Childish and childlike are two different things.

Something can be relatively suitable for children to watch, but not be, to quote Lucas from 1977, "...a silly child's film", or childish, as it were.

I haven't seen this yet. and probably won't in the pictures. But if my mate's report on it is anything to go by it sounds like an 8 year old making up a story as they go along, where nothing makes much sense, not to the over all story or even the trilogy it takes place in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I went to sea it this afternoon. Long time star wars fan. I enjoyed this one. Much better than the last one which was dreadful.
    It was a bit too fast paced at times but it was enjoyable.

On negatives, I didn't buy the Hux reveal and the horses on the destroyer was a bit silly. Finn shouting Rey's name all the time is annoying too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Mandalorian is not Star Wars and it’s poor at best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

faceman wrote: »
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The Mandalorian is not Star Wars and it’s poor at best.
    Realistically it's not trying to be Star Wars. It's a space western set in the SW universe with repeated nods to stuff we're familiar with. Enjoyable fare too, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's still leagues above these awful sequel movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

... about to see this in a few. Managed to stay away from spoilers. But heard it divides people. Probably end up enjoying it more expecting less.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

I didn't buy the Hux reveal.

I think it’s fair to say that Abrams was forced into a corner with what to do with Hux’s character given the utter tool that Rian Johnson made of him in TLJ!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Once JJ decided he was bringing the Emperor back and undoing Kylo's rise to power, Hux served no purpose. He was built up in TLJ as a rival to Kylo but JJ needed a loyalist to the emperor and Hux didn't quite fit the bill.

I really liked how Hux was handled in TLJ. He works well as a comic foil to Kylo, albeit a greatly underestimated one. He actually learns and grows from his failure at the start of the film (brought on by pride and blundering fanaticism) and by the end he is trying to stop Kylo from making an even worse mistake. What's funny is that even when he's right he's still being knocked around.

Just back from seeing it. It was alright. Could have been better. However it could have been much worse. Not as bad as TLJ. Not as good as TFA.

It closed this trilogy and you know what... Good job. Would have it been better if JJ wrote all three? Of course. But what you going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

It's serenity with a star wars re skin

Not to take the thread in another direction... But I am sick of watching movies with terrible resolution. Guess I am talking about Odeon here.

Why can't I watch a Blu-ray type movie on a big screen? It's always so dark and blurry.
    Watching the movie tonight ... It being 2019 why is it a case? :pac:

Guess I should go isense or IMAX or something.

The editing is really weird in places. You can't see Luke's mouth for most of his dialogue. Nearly every time he speaks the scene cuts to Rey listening, suggesting most of what Hamill says was recorded later. Also when Kylo reveals to Rey that she's a Palpatine he's wearing his mask and only removes it after he's delivered the big revelation. I presume Palp's scene with Rey is the same. This means they could have easily swapped out the "Palps is your grandfather" twist with any number of other twists ("You were a child of incest", etc) without changing anything.

Two interpretations of this: JJ didn't want the twist getting out and deliberately shot the scenes so that twist could be added in post-production (as also happened in TESB). Or he didn't know the twist himself and only settled on it in post-production. Given how much reshooting and rewriting was going on both on this and TFA, the latter wouldn't surprise me.

Not to take the thread in another direction... But I am sick of watching movies with terrible resolution. Guess I am talking about Odeon here.

Why can't I watch a Blu-ray type movie on a big screen? It's always so dark and blurry.

They aren't removing the 3D filters for 2D screenings. Ask for a refund and avoid that screen in future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The editing is really weird in places. You can't see Luke's mouth for most of his dialogue. Nearly every time he speaks the scene cuts to Rey listening, suggesting most of what Hamill says was recorded later. Also when Kylo reveals to Rey that she's a Palpatine he's wearing his mask and only removes it after he's delivered the big revelation. I presume Palp's scene with Rey is the same. This means they could have easily swapped out the "Palps is your grandfather" twist with any number of other twists ("You were a child of incest", etc) without changing anything.

Two interpretations of this: JJ didn't want the twist getting out and deliberately shot the scenes so that twist could be added in post-production (as also happened in TESB). Or he didn't know the twist himself and only settled on it in post-production. Given how much reshooting and rewriting was going on both on this and TFA, the latter wouldn't surprise me.

I can’t help but feel there’s a fascinating production story to tell here, from Treverrow’s* contributions to Abrams’ plethora of odd story and filmmaking decisions. The film is so full of strange loose ends and half-excised subplots we can only imagine how dramatically this was remixed and changed over the course of production and post-production. It barely holds together. I thought the underwhelming Rogue One definitely came across as a film dramatically changed from its original vision (like the redundant Darth Vader appendages) and we all know the Solo drama... but this thing is a different beast altogether.

* Given how this ended up, I genuinely find myself questioning whether Trevorrow would have done a better job - and I’m someone who thinks Safety Not Guaranteed was a random fluke compared to the ****e he’s put out since

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Blanch? I have noticed that before

py2006 wrote: »
    Blanch? I have noticed that before

Yup. Blanch.
    Dull as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,885 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so one of the lessons of this trilogy is to not send your kid away to military school but sell them into slave labour and they'll turn out much better

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I haven't read through the whole thread but this really showed why Feige has been brought in to presumably try to put order to the wider Star Wars universe.

From earlier Star Wars movie threads I put a lot of faith in Disney having a plan for this trilogy based on the success of planning for Marvel but now that clearly was due to a more localised Marvel team, not Disney. The Star Wars team created a mess, most likely bending over backwards to satisfy the most vocal internet critics of TLJ.

This consistency of this trilogy was as bad as Fox's recent dealing of the X-men series. They tease something in one movie and then, at best, retcon it in the next, even if it add little to the overall narrative.

I saw it on Monday and as a one off movie I enjoyed it, but the more I think about it since the worse it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Saw it a few days ago and its a mess of a movie. Trying to get too many people and locations squeezed in so you dont realise the mess until afterwards.
    One little details I did notice and havent seen much comment on was Ray deflecting the blaster shots with her hand in the battle with the royal guards - a dark force power like force lightning.

Something else I wounder about is did JJ try and write Rian Johnson into a corner by having TFA be a close copy of ANH and expecting Johnson to make something close to ESB. Thinking about it if JJ had directed the 3 movies I think they would have been very similar to the original trilogy, i.e. Ray turns out to be related to Snoke or something stupid like that. I know Johnson could have gone different/better ways and made some incredible mistakes (Canto Bight) but I think JJ made the first big mistake by copying ANH.

Advertisement