Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

J Mysterio wrote: »
    We don't have it?
    We do J. It involved Star Wars on a microscopic level.
    The next three (Star Wars) films were going to get into a microbiotic world. There’s this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force. If I’d held onto the company I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.

If that's anything to go by, Lucas's sequels would have been an even bigger shitfest than Disney's sequels have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tony EH wrote: »
    We do J. It involved Star Wars on a microscopic level.

OK that sounds pretty bad. The prequels had a fairly consistent story, unfortunately it was a mostly unnecessary story, dragged out and told in a boring way.
    namloc1980 wrote: »

Also Lando rounding up thousands of ships in the space of a few hours to fight the final battle felt really cheap.

Yeah, not only that but having this massive fleet of Star Destroyers entirely reliant on a single signal that could only be broadcast from one of 2 locations.

(though in fairness, the original trilogy had the Emperor building a second death star with virtually the same f**king flaw as the the first one, so military planning may not be his strong point).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    How the hell did Ben get from the ruins of the Death Star at Endor to Exegol?

That's a good question. I don't think we actually see how he got there the second time. That's probably something they'll fill-in using a book or live/animated tv series. At a guess, I'd say he sneaked into the resistance and stowed away on one of their ships cos he doesn't show up on Exegol until after they do.

He definitely had time to go spy about the resistance base cos Rey had time to go to Ahch-to, the planet Luke was on.

No proper sense was given of how long any of the actions took between Rey and Kylos fight and the action on Exegol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Tie-Fighter from the Death Star wreck - it's beside Luke's X-Wing when he shows up the second time.

You could question that he didn't have a Wayfinder (God, I hate that word! ), but I suppose you can explain it be saying the First Order had mapped the route from his first visit (after all, the First Order went there without him), in much the same way, Rey had for the other eejits, so fair enough.

Ah - see it had already been answered. Never mind. It's consistent in the inconsistency of the movie TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So not only is the Emperor alive and well after surviving the obliteration that the Death Star experienced. There are fully intact TIE Fighters aboard it too?

Jesus, the more I hear about this thing, the bigger a disaster it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just after getting to see it. Really dissappointed with that and did not think much of it to be honest. Had avoided all spoilers and reviews since its release. 5/10 at the most and id count myself a star wars fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Slydice wrote: »
    That's a good question. I don't think we actually see how he got there the second time. That's probably something they'll fill-in using a book or live/animated tv series. At a guess, I'd say he sneaked into the resistance and stowed away on one of their ships cos he doesn't show up on Exegol until after they do.l

He arrived on a ROTJ era TIE fighter, this was shown.

Was it? I only remember Kylo talking to Han, tossing his Sabre to become Ben and the next time Ben showing up in front of Reys/Lukes X-Wing (alone with no tie fighter in sight) on Exegol

Slydice wrote: »
    Was it? I only remember Kylo talking to Han, tossing his Sabre to become Ben and the next time Ben showing up in front of Reys/Lukes X-Wing (alone with no tie fighter in sight) on Exegol

Ah, the next scene he's running into the temple with the tie and x-wing in the background!

Yep, no hyperdrive:

2 years ago
    I mixed up my facts a bit: the standard FO TIE did have shields but no hyperdrive.

I can only see them working this out by saying he sneaked onto one of the Resistance big ships.. feels a bit of a stretch given how TIE Fighters don't blend-in all that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

Are they the same TIE fighters that lack a hyperdrive engine. If that’s the case he would still be making his way there?!!. Awful film but not unexpected after the previous one. At least the saga has now ended and I doubt we will be visiting the future exploits of the new generation on the big screen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

More on the weird editing and possible changes:

It may be wishful thinking on the part of Reylo fans but many are claiming that the shot of Ben falling down dead at the end is reversed and it was actually shot as Rey pulling him up (which appears to be correct).

It doesn't look like it's reversed. Not to me, anyway. The look she gives from over his shoulder before he goes down is natural to what happened after it, she grabs behind his shoulder to cushion the fall and the way his head slightly hit the floor looks completely natural.

It's an oversight, for sure. At that point he was still the Supreme Leader, so they could have spun it as a First Order TIE that could have been dispatched to get him off the Death Star wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Finally saw it. Gut reaction is disappointment. It was fine. Safe is probably the best word to describe it. It felt in a rush to constantly get to the next bit without ever landing any moments or story points. Plot conveniences all over the place to help get to the next bit of the story. The worst offender of that was the "second transport shuttle" that apparently Chewie was on... there was no second shuttle. Even if there was any then was that empty one heading off without first detaining the rest of the rebels. Why was only Chewie taken. One example of the laziness of the plot just to get the characters to the next bit. The new force power of being able to pace objects across space was another silly convenience that doubled down on the contrivance that TLJ made to allow Rey and Kylo to connect. It did however make for a very cool payoff when Rey passed Kylo her saber (best moment of the film by far).

While I think they made Rey Palpatine work for the story, squeezing in Palpatine right from the crawl felt so forced (thanks TLJ). Speaking of the hangover from TLJ, I think this really hammered gone what a miss that was for me. TLJ was such a pointless movie in this trilogy. I'd go as far to say that you can almost go straight from 7 to 9 and not miss out on too much.

Kylo and Rey were the only big positives in TROS. Kylo in particular had a solid arc across the trilogy. Again, TLJ mucked about too much with Rey so TROS had to cover a lot of ground with her. They did well with both of them trying to stay guessing which way they'd go. Why the kiss though. Just why.

Bang average. Lower-Mid table entry in the franchise.

The scene with the rebellion arriving at the end though... goosebumps. Pity it was a cheap trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'd agreed re last jedi... Is there anything in it that is needed to go from awakens to rise?

I think it's the biggest problem with the trilogy.. last jedi is flat..if last jedi has been as strong as empire then we'd be looking at rise differently I think..

Bacchus wrote: »
    Finally saw it. Gut reaction is disappointment. It was fine. Safe is probably the best word to describe it. It felt in a rush to constantly get to the next bit without ever landing any moments or story points. Plot conveniences all over the place to help get to the next bit of the story. The worst offender of that was the "second transport shuttle" that apparently Chewie was on... there was no second shuttle. Even if there was any then was that empty one heading off without first detaining the rest of the rebels. Why was only Chewie taken. One example of the laziness of the plot just to get the characters to the next bit. The new force power of being able to pace objects across space was another silly convenience that doubled down on the contrivance that TLJ made to allow Rey and Kylo to connect. It did however make for a very cool payoff when Rey passed Kylo her saber (best moment of the film by far).

While I think they made Rey Palpatine work for the story, squeezing in Palpatine right from the crawl felt so forced (thanks TLJ). Speaking of the hangover from TLJ, I think this really hammered gone what a miss that was for me. TLJ was such a pointless movie in this trilogy. I'd go as far to say that you can almost go straight from 7 to 9 and not miss out on too much.

Kylo and Rey were the only big positives in TROS. Kylo in particular had a solid arc across the trilogy. Again, TLJ mucked about too much with Rey so TROS had to cover a lot of ground with her. They did well with both of them trying to stay guessing which way they'd go. Why the kiss though. Just why.

Bang average. Lower-Mid table entry in the franchise.

The scene with the rebellion arriving at the end though... goosebumps. Pity it was a cheap trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seen it over a week ago and can’t actually remember any other film that left me feeling so indifferent, not liking it, not disliking it, something that just exists and I have no desire to revisit.

Out of the trilogy I liked The Last Jedi. It did something different with the franchise. I can actually understand people’s complaints that it left the sequel with nowhere to go because on the surface it does look like that. Abrams is always going to play it safe, and give the audience something familiar and uninspiring, and maybe rightly so given the backlash TLJ received. But the other side of the argument is that if they were confident enough to follow through on what TLJ started with the follow up movie and brought in someone a bit more adventurous it would be a different trilogy and The Force Awakens would be the one that looks like the weak link. Instead we got a good movie in an Abrams’ memberberry sandwich. Although in saying all that a lot of the problems with the trilogy could’ve been avoided by having some outline from the beginning.

This thread is also hilarious reading in parts. The previous Star Wars ones have had one ridiculously pro Star Wars poster and one ridiculously anti Star Wars poster, now with the pro Star Wars poster gone it’s left with the anti poster telling everyone how bad the movie even though they haven’t seen it. Lack of balance there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Saw it on Friday, and cried like a baby after it.. Putting it down to tiredness.
    So so sad to loose those characters 😭 I will probably be condemned for it, but I'm so fed up of Rey's face, her expressions..
    She's not a Skywalker, they already had one that could live up to the name.

Would've loved a film/series solely around kylo/knights of ren... Would that be a possibility now? An inter prequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Im glad it's over. From the excitement of seeing that they were making a new trilogy. Seeing a man sized Kylo Ren in shop stores had myself and my little man so excited.
    Had to nearly drag him to this.
    Kylo Ren was so bad. Lost count of the amount of times he started crying in the films. Utter sh*te. Worst sith ever. Was he meant to be in touch with his feminine side...
    Rey... Boring as hell. Hero had to be a woman. It's what has to happen in movies these days. If she had of died in the first movie I wouldn't have cared. Had no connection with the character.
    In fairness, that's the way I felt about all of them. Lucky none of them died...even when Chewy supposedly died I was impressed that they did that. But no..he was on another ship.
    Say what you like about the prequels but it was fine story telling which had to end one way only.
    These new films could have really gone somewhere different and fresh due to the fact there was no narrative to tie into.
    What we got was slop. Thanks Disney. Let's leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

deise08 wrote: »

Would've loved a film/series solely around kylo/knights of ren... Would that be a possibility now? An inter prequel?

That's something I don't see mentioned much in the overall context of the film but the Knights of Ren turned out to be utter ****, fan service shoved in to tick a box but did **** all, were utterly useless, might as well have been stormtroopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got a crappy boyband vibe off them. Like they were out of one of those insanely expensive mid-90s music videos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If they had stuck with the Kylo as supreme leader narrative thread instead of bringing back Palps, they could have had the Knight of Ren as a source of rivalry for Kylo and a threat to his power. TLJ suggested they were Luke's students, so JJ could have given them Force powers. Might have been interesting. Would have also given Luke a larger role. But that would have meant focusing on the most hated part of TLJ: Luke's failure with Kylo.

Luke/Hamill is also wasted in the film. Luke told Kylo in TLJ: strike me down in anger and I'll always be with you. Johnson was teasing the possibility of Luke continuing to appeal to Ben's good side as a Force ghost. It would have furthered Luke's redemption, but again that would have meant focusing on the most hated part of TLJ.

Fans blame TROS's problems on the lack of a plan, but what good is a plan if the filmmakers decide to abandon narrative threads (some of them set up by JJ himself) because they were unpopular on Reddit/Twitter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Wasn't all that impressed by The Rise of Skywalker. Lots of action and space battles, but the newer characters are so flat and bland that 77-year-old Harrison Ford manages to steal the show with his one minute on screen. Rey remains a singularly uninteresting Mary Sue character throughout the entire trilogy — not even the Big Reveal that she's Palpatine's granddaughter can add any credible conflict to her arc — so the idea of her as a synthesis of the entire Jedi Order or the final vanquisher of the Sith is a bit laughable.

Also, Palpatine died before and came back, so why can't he do it again? From that perspective, the conclusion isn't all that conclusive.

JJ Abrams notably dialed back the "woke" elements this time. In The Force Awakens, he gave Rey lines like "Don't hold my hand! I can run by myself," but I don't think fans responded well to Star Wars feminism. The token Asian female character also gets less screen time in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

For pub quizzers, Rise of Skywalker is the ninth episode of an ennealogy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

For pub quizzers, Rise of Skywalker is the ninth episode of an ennealogy. :)

I'd tell that pub quizzer to do better in his or her efforts to reference current pop culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I'd tell that pub quizzer to do better in his or her efforts to reference current pop culture.

Hmm.
    For pub quizzers, Rise of Skywalker is the ninth episode of an ennealogy.
    Happy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Rey... Boring as hell. Hero had to be a woman. It's what has to happen in movies these days. If she had of died in the first movie I wouldn't have cared. Had no connection with the character.

Lets this nip this in the bud. Rey being boring or having no connection with the audience has nothing to do with the character being female.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

faceman wrote: »
    Lets this nip this in the bud. Rey being boring or having no connection with the audience has nothing to do with the character being female.

contrast with Wonder Woman, Star Wars seem to go out of their way to make their female characters as sexless as possible.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I really enjoyed it. I agree it was a lot more like Force Awakens, which was fine in my book. While I liked TLJ, I didn't enjoy it as much on repeated viewings, unlike every other SW movies (besides EP 2 probably).

There was lots more for Poe and Finn to do which was good, some nice humour and "banter" which had a real Han Solo / Leia vibe.

As for the story, my main criticism is that the ending was pretty much just ROTJ again - confronting the Emperor in a throne room while the battle rages outside. But that's a minor points.

Overall for me it was a satisfactory ending, and I can't wait to see it again.

BTW the new trilogy is WAY WAY better than the prequel trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Rise of Skywalker – 6/10

My thoughts on a poorly thought out trilogy;

After TFA, JJ Abrams essentially left Rian Johnson with a room full of open doors and windows. Instead of deciding to explore one of these openings, RJ spent the entirety of TLJ nailing everything shut and boarding it all up, before laying a huge turd in the middle of the floor. JJ then turns up with a crowbar and desperately tries to force his way back into some (any) of these openings whilst trying not to gag on the stench of Johnsons turd. This is how we ended up with this disjointed and messy finale.

Despite enjoying TLJ as a cinema experience, the 2 years of inane discourse has quashed any excitement I had for this final instalment. Already I am finding the discourse surrounding this one to be even more insufferable, so I’ll try and keep this short;

I went in with low expectations and I had a decent time with it. The big problem here is that the plot does not hold up to scrutiny AT ALL. You can see the cogs of the Disney machine whirring away in the background. You can blatantly tell that they scrambled around in the editing room and wrestled with different scenes and plot points. The guys over at RLM summed it up perfectly when they described the frantic pacing as “dangling a shiny object in front of a cat”.

The strength of this trilogy is in the new cast. Adam Driver is the main saving grace, but Daisy Ridley’s performances have all improved notably with each film. They both do an excellent job with a troubled script. The strong chemistry is also there with Boyega and Isaacs imo. I liked all these characters, even though they clearly didn’t get enough to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    silverharp wrote: »
    contrast with Wonder Woman, Star Wars seem to go out of their way to make their female characters as sexless as possible.
    Star Wars went down that route before with mixed results.

Princess Leia in a metal bikini was a outrageous hit. But could you imagine they'd chained up Daisy Ridley in a bikini in Ep IX? The Internet would break with the outrage.

They also had that wonderful love story between young Anakin and Padme. That was something they obviously watched when figuring where to go with the new trilogy.

Nah, better not to distract with heaving cleavage. We have Wonder Woman for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dades wrote: »
    Star Wars went down that route before with mixed results.

Princess Leia in a metal bikini was a outrageous hit. But could you imagine they'd chained up Daisy Ridley in a bikini in Ep IX? The Internet would break with the outrage.

They also had that wonderful love story between young Anakin and Padme. That was something they obviously watched when figuring where to go with the new trilogy.

Nah, better not to distract with heaving cleavage. We have Wonder Woman for that.

No need for gold bikinis or heaving bosoms but for example Jennifer Lawrence's character in The Hunger Games trilogy was far superior to this block of wood character in SW.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement