Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Looks like they're about to show trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhiLZOprZE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I wish they'd hurry up so I can leave work. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If by "this particular period", you mean nu-Star Wars, with Rey, Finn and whatever then yes. Because it's been crap. Plus, I don't see any of those actors returning. So, more than likely, it's the last we'll see of them on the big screen anyway.

However, if you mean the Imperial period that was set up in the original movies, then no. I'd like more of that, because it was the most fleshed out period that Star Wars have engaged in. They can keep that setting. They just need to expand the story.

I think they've a problem in how short a period the Empire was around for and who they've established as the main movers and shakers.

There's room for individual stories, but for the big tent pole space opera series that string 3 or more films together, I think they need to look at the universe from a fresh perspective.
    It doesn't have to be in a different time period, but it has to be looking at different entities than the Empire and the Rebellion, about whom we know too much to keep following.

How can you have a massive epic story within the series, but ignore the upper hierarchies of both belligerents in the war?
    You can do smaller ones, and I might well enjoy a story about Bounty Hunters, Darth Maul, the Black Sun, and so on, that they seem to have laid the groundwork for. But it can't change the fundamentals of what happens in the war between the Empire and the Rebellion. We know the main beats of that war already, so it leaves very little room to have any stories of consequence.
    Dades wrote: »
    As a stand alone movie, Rouge One was really good.

Solo risked trying to tell the origin of Han Solo of all characters, and was released only about a month after TLJ appeared on DVD. Unwanted and badly timed. A definite misstep - despite being quite a fun movie.

But you can't say that bringing back Luke, Han and Leia for the new trilogy didn't send the hype into the stratosphere. That's what made TFA box office. Getting the same buy-in from both old and new generations after so many years would have been impossible without some callbacks to the OT. A complete break would never have been as box office.

I understand the business decision, and it's inarguable that the new trilogy is a financial success. However, they could've done all that, and built a new compelling story, and a new state for the galaxy to be in. Instead it's as shallow as a puddle.

I liked R1 as well. I suppose it's a question of what you want from these films though.

I enjoy the Marvel films well enough, but I'd be lying if I said any more than about 4 of them have particularly stayed in my memory.

So they can sort of shovel out solid but forgettable blockbusters, and I guess that's fine, but it'd be nice to move the standards back towards being iconic bastions of Sci-Fi.

There was quite a lot of Lucas' fingeprints on the Prequels, for better or worse. The new trilogy lack that. They get most of the technical stuff right, which means I can go to the film and enjoy it.
    But it's a bit flat and two-dimensional. I don't want to dive into the universe and keep exploring it. And that's what you need to build a cinematic universe.

There was nothing stopping them from having that, and keeping most of the rest the same. They just needed a better handle on who was going to spearhead the new world they were creating. It's a different skillset, that the likes of Tolkien, or George Martin, or even George Lucas have than what we've seen from the custodians of this iteration of Star Wars.

I would've loved to see a Kylo Ren, played by Adam driver, in a First Order, that actually is something I understand and can fit into the galaxy, rather than it being just space-nazis 2.0. I would've loved to see Carry Fisher back as a member of a faltering senate you see disintegrate in the opening of a new war.
    I'd love to have some sort of emotional response to her and Han separating over the loss of their son, because they properly address something so pivotal in the film.

You often hear storytellers talk about worldbuilding being like an iceberg. Basically, you need to have a tip sticking out of the water, which is the worldbuilding you see, and it is suggestive of what's lurking beneath the waves, but what we get is a lump of styrofoam floating on the surface and the producers not understanding why we don't think it's an iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Trailer imminent...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Big pile of MEH....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1116749912983707650?s=21

In an age of cropped trailers and televisual blockbusters, JJ Abrams and Dan Mindel still know how to frame proper widescreen shots

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Disappointing box office take less than a billion
    Palpatine, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well it's a Star Wars film with lots of star wars stuff, self-references and nostalgia, so that's par for the course then.

I dunno does that title just mean that they've changed their minds again about Rey and she's actually Kylo's secret sister, or cousin or whatever. Not sure what else it might refer to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

YouTube version for those who prefer their high definition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

pixelburp wrote: »
    YouTube version for those who prefer their high definition

Thanks, I can actually see what's happening in it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

That laugh at the end was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Palpatine, interesting

Use [noparse]
    [/noparse] tags!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Ian McDiarmid came on stage after trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And apparently walked onto the stage after the showing of the trailer too, so seems like a fairly certain nod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Tony EH wrote: »
    Why would a company need to take a "hiatus" on something that's successful?

The fact of the matter is that they had no plan for the sequel trilogy and they made a balls of it. 'Solo' then scared the crap out of them, because nobody thought it was a good idea and nobody went to see it. The merchandise sales are all down, two years in a row, including the all important toy sales which is where the biggest Star Wars turnover is.

Disney have slammed the brakes on this train, because they don't really know what to do with it or how to proceed...hence...a "hiatus'.

It's certainly the "right move", but only because of the monumental mess that Disney has made of the franchise so far.

iim_deathstar.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Title is a bit clunky and the teaser is middling, but yeah, it's Star Wars, I guess. I'm just not feeling the "every saga has an ending" vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Palpatine, interesting
    That laugh at the end was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Bringing him back to bind the original, prequels and new trilogy together.

Only watching it now and ... a desert planet. Another feckin' desert planet. Complete with swooping barges too, just in case anyone's not sure its Star Wars.

And look, it's practically a cinematic obligation to go see this, but I think that's it; I'm past caring about Star Wars. Superficial and hollow.

Big pile of MEH....

How can you say that?
    This is a small pile of MEH the movie will be a big pile of MEH:P
    The Force is not with this one I am afraid

• Advertisement

And look, it's practically a cinematic obligation to go see this, but I think that's it; I'm past caring about Star Wars. Superficial and hollow.

How can you say that is looks groundbreaking.

star-wars--episode-ix-panel---star-wars-celebration-chicago-2019-1-19-39-screenshot-1555089649630_400w.png

Or did I mean heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Enough there to intrigue me. Loved that shot of Rey waiting there clutching her lightsaber while Kylo's Tie was coming towards her off on the horizon.

One thing I'll say in the favour of the prequels, Lucas at least tried to expand the aesthetics of the series, bring new designs and colours to the look of the franchise. Naboo, and their tech, looked beautiful, the art deco styling of their ships particularly striking. There has been nothing in these new films to rival that variation of design, leaning on nostalgia for the same look and feel with everything .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm not sure Palpatine will be back in any sort of human form, I think he and Luke might be ghosts essentially playing the angel and devil on Kylo/Rey's shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was that the remains of the Death Star at the end? Looks like this episode will again be leaning heavily on nostalgia, but appears intriguing enough from the trailer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One thing I'll say in the favour of the prequels, Lucas at least tried to expand the aesthetics of the series, bring new designs and colours to the look of the franchise. Naboo, and their tech, looked beautiful, the art deco styling of their ships particularly striking. There has been nothing in these new films to rival that variation of design, leaning on nostalgia for the same look and feel with everything .

Agreed, though that nostalgic approach to the production design was established in TFA and there's not much they can do about it now. TLJ at least had a different visual style and aesthetic thanks to the different director/dp. Where as this feels like deleted scenes from TFA in places - probably because it literally is. I wish Abrams had used a different DP to give it a different look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Was that the remains of the Death Star at the end?

Looks like it. The second Death Star that seems to harbour the ghost of Palpatine, maybe.

Was that the remains of the Death Star at the end? Looks like this episode will again be leaning heavily on nostalgia, but appears intriguing enough from the trailer

I was just going to ask this. Is it definitely the Death Star? Really annoying if so.
    Relikk wrote: »
    Looks like it. The second Death Star that seems to harbour the ghost of Palpatine, maybe.

Ugh, please no, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I was just going to ask this. Is it definitely the Death Star? Really annoying if so.

It's a new Death Star. An even bigger one.

• Advertisement

Every saga has an ending should instead read the final nail in the coffin.

Advertisement