Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They were all dumb ideas though. Stuff thrown on a whiteboard. Unconnected, random nonsense, with someone having to try an cobble together an ad hoc yarn simply to get anything, anything at all, over the line.

I've seen ten year old kids playing with dolls that could come up with a more coherent and logical story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"What if Star Destroyers had DeathStar Lasers, and there were 20 gajillion of them!!!"

I think what Star Wars and Star Trek has shown is that while I'd still say Abrams is a decent director, it's only if he's given constraints. Be they budgetary or conceptual. Or he's kept far away from the writers room. Not that I'd ever expect hard SciFi in the ...Wars franchise, but with both IPs, Abrams just lost the plot when it came to some semblance of scale or common sense. Everything went huge to a ludicrous degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

That’s mad. He’s the image of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Just watched it there, horrendous twaddle. That trilogy made the last one look like good cinema. How did they get it so wrong with this trilogy but so right with The Mandalorian? They probably should have left the Skywalker storyline alone altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Well I finally got to see it, was sick when it was in cinemas, and wtf is wrong with people, this was down as one of the worst films in history and I don't see it. I thought it was well acted, well shot and full of great moments. Really enjoyed it. Best one out of the 3.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Well I finally got to see it, was sick when it was in cinemas, and wtf is wrong with people, this was down as one of the worst films in history and I don't see it. I thought it was well acted, well shot and full of great moments. Really enjoyed it. Best one out of the 3.

Ah here now that scene where they figure out Domhnall Gleason is the spy is one of the worst things I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching, I’ve seen Isis beheading videos that were easier to watch than that muck.

Something late coming to me but it’s just fun. Pure Star Wars. It felt like loads of Flash Gordon episodic adventures all jammed into one. Just how George wanted it maybe. Screw ‘logic’.
    Force ghosts magical powers and lightsabers aren’t logical.
    It did however, follow its own in universe logic. Some just didn’t like the results.
    The enevitable episode 10 is going to be faced with the real challenge. To truly do something different. This trilogy was just launched to put it back in our minds I’d say.

Ah here now that scene where they figure out Domhnall Gleason is the spy is one of the worst things I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching, I’ve seen Isis beheading videos that were easier to watch than that muck.

Oh shut up, what a stupid thing to say, grow the f**k up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    Runaways wrote: »
    The enevitable episode 10 is going to be faced with the real challenge. To truly do something different. This trilogy was just launched to put it back in our minds I’d say.
    That's what they said about episode 8, reflecting on 7. Disney haven't a clue how to make anything of this but more noise.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    That's what they said about episode 8, reflecting on 7. Disney haven't a clue how to make anything of this but more noise.

Yeah Disney don't know what they're at, that's why this made 1bil, Mandalorian took over the world for months and they brought back Clone Wars... yep they haven't a clue. :P

Yeah Disney don't know what they're at, that's why this made 1bil, Mandalorian took over the world for months and they brought back Clone Wars... yep they haven't a clue. :P

They made a complete balls of the skywalker storyline, how that latest film can appeal to anybody over the age of 12 is beyond me, nonsensical writing and it felt like the film had about 3 endings. Who gives a shít how much money it made? plenty of horrendous films and series have made a mint. You must regard Phantom Menace as academy award winning stuff if you enjoyed that scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would say it's worse than The Phantom Menace to be honest (not saying it's not watchable or entertaining, just that it's fairly bad, same how I feel about Attack of the Clones)

They made a complete balls of the skywalker storyline, how that latest film can appeal to anybody over the age of 12 is beyond me, nonsensical writing and it felt like the film had about 3 endings. Who gives a shít how much money it made? plenty of horrendous films and series have made a mint. You must regard Phantom Menace as academy award winning stuff if you enjoyed that scutter.

Yeah that's your opinion bud. It's not fact. I don't really like the prequels but would take them over the originals, only the shows and newer films is what I'm an actual fan of but I don't go around crying at old fans like the old fans do to the new fans. Gatekeeping c*nts.

Worse than the Phantom Menace? HAAA lads you crack me up. **** hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The sequel trilogy reminds me of Rick and Morty watching interdimensional TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Yeah that's your opinion bud. It's not fact. I don't really like the prequels but would take them over the originals, only the shows and newer films is what I'm an actual fan of but I don't go around crying at old fans like the old fans do to the new fans. Gatekeeping c*nts.

Worse than the Phantom Menace? HAAA lads you crack me up. **** hahaha.

This is a better performance than anything in RoS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    I am a crazy Star Wars nut seen all the films loads of times.

I went to this once in the cinema and some how it came into my hands last night.

I watched less than ten minutes it really is dross.

This is a better performance than anything in RoS

You're insane. :p

mikhail wrote: »

Apple are about to buy Disney. We can then say they did a ‘jobs’ on it I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Saw it twice in the cinema and now twice at home. I still enjoy it very much every time I see it. My only gripe with it is that the Emperor dies far too quickly and easily. They should have added a couple of more minutes to that sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Relikk wrote: »
    Saw it twice in the cinema and now twice at home. I still enjoy it very much every time I see it. My only gripe with it is that the Emperor dies far too quickly and easily. They should have added a couple of more minutes to that sequence.

But she has two lightsabers! I don't see how anyone could have lasted longer against that!

:pac:

I did rewatch it, and while I did think it was fine in cinema, it's definitely not holding up for me on rewatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

chrislad wrote: »

I did rewatch it, and while I did think it was fine in cinema, it's definitely not holding up for me on rewatches.

Don't plan watching it again but a good friend of mine who's a serious fan and liked it initially, felt the same on rewatching it at home.

Force awaken was and is eminently rewatchable for me. The middle one is just so heavy you can’t kind of even have it on in the background. This one though I don’t know. It’s just so packed. It doesn’t stop for a breather. Saw a clip earlier of the lightsaber fight in the ocean. Man they’re really beating the sh!t out of each. Look forward to seeing that again anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I enjoyed it. A few silly plot holes but enjoyable none the less. The structure is very ROTJ. Nice to see Han pop up again. Final nod to the best character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wonder will the release of the dvd/blu ray be brought forward?? seeing that everyone is hunkered indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, I went into this expecting nothing, because aside from Rogue One, imo, all the Star Wars films are terrible. And I wasn't disappointed with this carrying on that tradition.

I've said it since the original films, the cast in those could not act. I was putting it down to just dodgy 1970's acting in general, but nope, they continued it throughout. Even in this, any scene with nearly any of the OG cast was just terrible. I'll give them a pass on Carrie Fisher, but my god, for all the amazing work Mark Hamill has done throughout his career, Luke Skywalker is his worst. I could even feel that he didn't want to be doing the movie.

Anyway, yeah, it's a pretty looking film. Can't fault that. But the whole thing just felt dated. Daisy Ridley was fine, I'm sure she'll shine more in better written roles. New Solo, whatever his name is, was still annoying with his mashup of Solo and Skywalker, or whatever they were trying to pull with him. Emo Vader, well, didn't like him from the second he took off his mask. He's a great actor, just again, left down in this world. There was one good scene, with Evil Rey, would like a fleshed out version of that. They do good villians, I'll give them that. Ex-Storm Trooper guy was alright. Generic. And as mentioned above, the 'boss' battle with the Emperor... I'd expect something as bad in the TV series for Batwoman.

Anyway, i'm rambling. To me, another terrible (but pretty) entry, and thankfully the last, in the current run. I look forward to seeing what they can do, but they need to remove the "Disney" from it, ie: make it less old school of Good Guys vs the Bad Guys and the happy endings and all is well schtick that ruins potentially good films. A darker Star Wars would be better imo.

So we still give scores here? If so, 3/10 just for how well it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In fairness, it's really just these sequel movies that are dropping the ball a bit. The comics have been very strong, with some great stories to flesh out the periods between IV and V, as well as Vader between III and IV. Currently, it's focusing on V to VI for both Vader and the main cast.

The new High Republic era that is launching later this year has me optimistic about the non film media side of things, and I hope that with the Skywalker saga closed off, they focus on this era, or very Old Republic, rather than going forward past the events of IX.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My interest wouldn't be enough to know about the outside media, but that's usually the case anyway, with spin off animated shows usually being better. But as you said, it's better if they move to a different era. Don't know anything about the before or after, as long as it distances itself from the Skywalker saga it should be better. Just my opinion mind.

I just couldn’t justify or would be much interested in buying a big 4K hd tv and all that so I’ll be sad to miss out on this. Damn it looks impressive though. Out the end of the month.
    The skywalker saga boxset

https://youtu.be/r29t44mp59Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thankfully I never paid to see any of the sequel Trilogy. First 2 I watched on Home Cinema Projector and TROS I just watched in the largest iMAX in the world at Darling Harbour in Sydney Australia (500 seats and 100ft wide screen)....well in a Virtual Cinema accurate recreation of it on my 2160x2160 pixel per eye HP Reverb VR Headset. :D (approaching PQ of the real thing in that VR Headset)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=_VRfxG3I5F0&feature=emb_logo

Watching it on the biggest screen in the world did not affect my impression of the movie. Dreadful from beginning to end.

Advertisement