Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Runaways wrote: »
    Well actually no he filled entire journals about this and rewrote and re-wrote

You should get these for the actual history they are amazing day by day almost and Lucas and lfl published

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/journal-of-the-whills-part-i-outline-by-george-lucas.32108921/

There is an official version is how this all happened, and the unofficial version. The official one doesn't fit with the original versions of the movies but does align with what ever is the current release. The unofficial versions of how star wars came makes more sense. But it's slowly being replaced by the revised versions. Such as the books you link to..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

flazio wrote: »
    An opinion can neither be correct or incorrect. It's a

viewpoint.

What you meant to say is

Were all constantly wrong assholes

From a certain point of view

mikhail wrote: »
    All Dune and Star Wars have in common is that they're hero's journeys set in space with fantasy elements. It's like arguing that Jurassic Park ripped off The Island of Doctor Moreau.

Some suggest there is the odd nod to dune. Can't see it myself. The Dune trilogy is entirely more alien and far reaching in concept. Especially if You've read the original books. It gets pretty weird. Star Wars is a straight laced adventure.

Runaways wrote: »
    What you meant to say is

Were all constantly wrong assholes

From a certain point of view

I'll admit I was was wrong once. I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was right..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

beauf wrote: »
    https://boards.theforce.net/threads/journal-of-the-whills-part-i-outline-by-george-lucas.32108921/

There is an official version is how this all happened, and the unofficial version. The official one doesn't fit with the original versions of the movies but does align with what ever is the current release. The unofficial versions of how star wars came makes more sense. But it's slowly being replaced by the revised versions. Such as the books you link to..

Who to believe
    An author that Sat down with and fought with Lucas the whole time and eventually got fired from Lucasfilm For his too real Recording of what actually happened

Or an Internet forum

I don’t know how I’ll sleep tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

flazio wrote: »
    An opinion can neither be correct or incorrect. It's a viewpoint.

An uninformed opinion can be most definitely incorrect.

They are authorised for a reason....

You don't have to reference any books. You can't have a super detailed structured back story then have movies that don't reflect any structure. The films (most of them) seem a bit they are thrown together from poor resolved ideas. But there is a lot of brilliance in the cinematics and visual details. The production.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The documentary Jaborwoskys Dune proves almost all sci fi movies are basically a rip off off a movie that was never even made... George Lucas needs to hand over those billion dolLars to the Hebert estate !!!

That's too cryptic even for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

No opinion is wrong. me saying Star Wars suck isn't wrong, someone saying Star Wars is amazing isn't wrong, it's both true to us. Why is some nobody on this forum more important with their opinion than the other nobody on this forum?

• Advertisement

If someone says in their "opinion" that great white sharks don't exist.

They're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,793 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    No opinion is wrong. me saying Star Wars suck isn't wrong, someone saying Star Wars is amazing isn't wrong, it's both true to us. Why is some nobody on this forum more important with their opinion than the other nobody on this forum?

Only in terms of subjective matters, beyond that of course lots of opinions are wrong.There are a lot of people out there in whose opinion the earth is flat, or that 5G towers give you covid-19, or that the earth is only 5,000 years old. Those opinions are flat out unequivocally wrong.

And then when it does come to opinions on subjective matters, some opinions absolutely carry more weight than others based on that persons life experience up to that point. I will trust an artists opinion on art more than a guy who's never set foot in a gallery. Or a chef's opinion on food more than a student cooking noodles in the microwave.

Star Wars is bloated dying mess of a franchise... they need to make the Darth Bane franchise... probably the best story in Star Wars... shows what the Sith are all about... get Michael Mann to direct it

Star Wars is bloated dying mess of a franchise... they need to make the Darth Bane franchise... probably the best story in Star Wars... shows what the Sith are all about... get Michael Mann to direct it

This is it really. I've lost all interest in these characters and the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    It's certainly Heisenberg's franchise, sometimes. Hell, I thought The Last Jedi was brilliant and terrible, often in consecutive scenes.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Only in terms of subjective matters, beyond that of course lots of opinions are wrong.There are a lot of people out there in whose opinion the earth is flat, or that 5G towers give you covid-19, or that the earth is only 5,000 years old. Those opinions are flat out unequivocally wrong.

And then when it does come to opinions on subjective matters, some opinions absolutely carry more weight than others based on that persons life experience up to that point. I will trust an artists opinion on art more than a guy who's never set foot in a gallery. Or a chef's opinion on food more than a student cooking noodles in the microwave.

Those aren't opinions for a start, at least not in my view, those are idiots dismissing facts. Saying the earth is flat isn't an opinion, that's someone going against a proven fact. You can't compare it to saying A New Hope is a masterpiece isn't a fact and someone saying it's crap. Those are opinions.

We're not comparing an artist here or a chef so don't talk rubbish, we're all gob****es on boards so all are opinions are equal. Until Lucas himself of Kennedy pop into us here with their posts them no opinion here is worth more.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Those aren't opinions for a start, at least not in my view, those are idiots dismissing facts. Saying the earth is flat isn't an opinion, that's someone going against a proven fact. You can't compare it to saying A New Hope is a masterpiece isn't a fact and someone saying it's crap. Those are opinions.

We're not comparing an artist here or a chef so don't talk rubbish, we're all gob****es on boards so all are opinions are equal. Until Lucas himself of Kennedy pop into us here with their posts them no opinion here is worth more.

I'll trust the opinons of someone who's actually seen the films over someone who's just played the Lego video games.

Tbh usually people don't come to forum looking to say I think it's great and don't need to talk any more than that about it. It's really people who are interested in analysing it deeper who will want to discuss it.

It's a bit like a job where you you want to make constructive criticism but everyone gets shut down as complaining. So everyone stops contributing and just goes do something else. Those that shut it down take that they hear no criticism as good. And run the business into the ground and never learn how it happened.

Star wars has become like that. Only theres always a market for disposal movie franchises. So it will always earn enough to keep going.

By your own admission, you've never even seen the original 'Star Wars', so therefore your particular "opinion" on the matter is absolutely worthless.

If you had seen it and considered it to be "crap", people would be more willing to take your "opinion" a bit more seriously, or at least think that it might have some semblance of integrity.

But, you haven't. So, you're just talking bollocks and that's what people will, rightly, reduce your "opinion" to.

And not all "opinions" are of the same calibre. An opinion on a film, or book, or food, is merely a matter of taste, based on feeling. Of course you still have to have seen the film, read the book or ate the food to form that opinion. An opinion on, say, an historical point requires, at least, a bit of study and an understanding of facts surrounding that historical point so that one's opinion is informed and therefore of some value.

At the end of the day, if someone holds an opinion that "No opinion is wrong" they are, in fact, wrong.

Tony EH wrote: »
    By your own admission, you've never even seen the original 'Star Wars', so therefore your particular "opinion" on the matter is absolutely worthless.

If you had seen it and considered it to be "crap", people would be more willing to take your "opinion" a bit more seriously, or at least think that it might have some semblance of integrity.

But, you haven't. So, you're just talking bollocks and that's what people will, rightly, reduce your "opinion" to.

And not all "opinions" are of the same calibre. An opinion on a film, or book, or food, is merely a matter of taste, based on feeling. Of course you still have to have seen the film, read the book or ate the food to form that opinion. An opinion on, say, an historical point requires, at least, a bit of study and an understanding of facts surrounding that historical point so that one's opinion is informed and therefore of some value.

At the end of the day, if someone holds an opinion that "No opinion is wrong" they are, in fact, wrong.

My opinion matters just as much as yours. I'm not blinded by nostalgia and crying Star Wars isn't like it used to be. I can see the new movies in a light you can't. Just because I haven't sat and watched your precious original trilogy doesn't make my point about the new films any less valid. Just get over yourselves. I'm sure I've watched way more Star Wars than any of you lot anyways.

The prequels, the sequels, The Clone Wars, Rebels, Lego remakes of the 6 movies and then many spin-offs, not to mention the games with backstories and expanded stuff. Thousands of hours of documentaries. The Mandolorian. Countless video games. Books. So bleh. lol

No opinion is wrong unless it's against a proven fact. The originals been better is not a FACT, it's your opinion. :D

• Advertisement

My opinion matters just as much as yours. I'm not blinded by nostalgia and crying Star Wars isn't like it used to be. I can see the new movies in a light you can't. Just because I haven't sat and watched your precious original trilogy doesn't make my point about the new films any less valid. Just get over yourselves.

No opinion is wrong unless it's against a proven fact.

No it doesn't, as you haven't even seen the movie. Your "opinion" is, to put it politely, uninformed and nobody is going to take you serious, even remotely.

Your "points" are invalid because you don't know what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

There is also a little more than just simple fact v opinion, there is the matter of "widely held" opinion.

Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to claim that the new trilogy is better than the original trilogy by any metric imaginable.

You could argue that Ant-Man is better than Schlinders List because it's more entertaining and satisfies a wider demograph, but no-one in their right mind would entertain the possibility that it's actually a better film.

No-one would take claims that the prequels are better than the OT seriously either, but such claims were never made, and in the overwhelming majority of cases, I've not seen even big fans of the new films claim they're better than the OT either.

So yes, you are perfectly entitled to believe the new films are better than the OT, and that the OT is not good - but it would be a fairly niche opinion on both counts.

All that said and done, fundamentally, you can't expect to be taken seriously when a) claiming something is crap via third hand information and b) benchmarking it against other productions without having, again, even seen it.

I've not seen Lego Star Wars, or Rebels, because I have no interest in Lego Star Wars or Rebels.

It's not for me, but I don't claim either to be anything, because frankly I have no idea and have no interest in finding out, although I obviously acknowledge they were positively received.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No it doesn't, as you haven't even seen the movie. Your "opinion" is, to put it politely, uninformed and nobody is going to take you serious, even remotely.

Your "points" are invalid because you don't know what you're talking about.

I saw Rise of Skywalker (which is what I was talking about), the **** are you on about.

%90 of Star Wars is basically prequel/sequel stuff so if you only like the original 3 you're sh*t out of luck of "good" star wars material then lol.

Troll harder kid.

...As much as people hate The Last Jedi I find The Rise of Skywalker unwatchable anybody who says they enjoyed this must be trolling.

I came here to see what people thought. I relieved to see I'm not crazy. I found it painful to watch. Much worse than the previous two.

But if you look at how well it did, and the reviews, as Runway suggested, it actually does ok. Guess lots of people can't see it or don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    beauf wrote: »
    I came here to see what people thought. I relieved to see I'm not crazy. I found it painful to watch. Much worse than the previous two.

But if you look at how well it did, and the reviews, as Runway suggested, it actually does ok. Guess lots of people can't see it or don't care.

I have also watched all the Star Trek films and this is worse than Star Trek V The Final Frontier.

There is clear evidence that the audience score on rotten tomatoes was fixed it got something like 86% in the first few days and even as the reviews went up by thousands the percentage never moved.

The Rise of Skywalker is a steaming pile of garbage some films have plot holes but this thing is totally incoherent.

Serious question can ANYBODY point out any part of this film that they enjoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I have also watched all the Star Trek films and this is worse than Star Trek V The Final Frontier.

There is clear evidence that the audience score on rotten tomatoes was fixed it got something like 86% in the first few days and even as the reviews went up by thousands the percentage never moved.

The Rise of Skywalker is a steaming pile of garbage some films have plot holes but this thing is totally incoherent.

Serious question can ANYBODY point out any part of this film that they enjoyed?

The end credits after being dragged along to see it in the cinema. Then trying to figure out what the hell that mess disguised as a movie was.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The end credits after being dragged along to see it in the cinema. Then trying to figure out what the hell that mess disguised as a movie was.

Just a pity that John Williams final film was such a stinker.

Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes showed he still had it for the prequels.

I really don't care about Star Wars anymore the Lucas ideas for the sequel trilogy sounded interesting.

If at some later date his ideas got picked up and these films got remade I still would not care the magic is gone from this franchise.

Just a pity that John Williams final film was such a stinker.

Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes showed he still had it for the prequels.

I really don't care about Star Wars anymore the Lucas ideas for the sequel trilogy sounded interesting.

If at some later date his ideas got picked up and these films got remade I still would not care the magic is gone from this franchise.

Reys theme was nice...

• Advertisement

Reys theme was nice...

Agreed.

Advertisement