Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

beauf wrote: »
    I came here to see what people thought. I relieved to see I'm not crazy. I found it painful to watch. Much worse than the previous two.

But if you look at how well it did, and the reviews, as Runway suggested, it actually does ok. Guess lots of people can't see it or don't care.

Cinematic Star Wars will usually do ok (apart from 'Solo' that is, but that's another story). It has a built in audience of millions, who'll generally lap up anything with that logo attached to it, regardless of quality. But, even they'll have their limits from time to time.

For instance, the toys aren't doing so well and shows like 'Resistance' are failing.

People will only be handed dreck for so long before their forgiveness will run out. But I think a lot of people are just happy that this sequel trilogy is done (including the people who made it), so they can get past it and hope that Disney can up their game with future projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Tony EH wrote: »
    Troll harder kid.

I'm not a kid, not trolling. I actually love the new films. So f*ck off.
    He is totally trolling.

I enjoyed the prequels the story the worlds and the action really was on top form.
    Having said that I can also see the faults bad editing and awkward dialogue along with silly jokes that totally missed the mark.
    The Original trilogy was Star Wars at it's best Return of the Jedi had many faults but Luke vs Vader along with the space battle made this an epic conclusion to the best trilogy ever made.

Along to the Disney era and Rogue One was a really good film that fills in the gap between the Prequels and the Originals.
    The Mandalorian is a pretty enjoyable tv series.

The Disney trilogy is pure trash that has no redeeming qualities none.
    Forced feminism and the new actors are never used anyway.

Copy and paste of the originals only in a lame way.
    No world building.
    Finns story ended in The Force Awakens Poe and Hux did not have any stories.

The Last Jedi was just pure utter trash an insult to Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker ignores The Last Jedi and is even worse trash the worst Star Wars film ever made.

Solo was ok sort of not great.

As much as people hate The Last Jedi I find The Rise of Skywalker unwatchable anybody who says they enjoyed this must be trolling.

Not trolling and loved Rise, my Dad loved Rise, grew up with Star Wars, I know others who enjoyed Rise. God forbid others like something you don't. You sound so bitter.
    I have also watched all the Star Trek films and this is worse than Star Trek V The Final Frontier.

There is clear evidence that the audience score on rotten tomatoes was fixed it got something like 86% in the first few days and even as the reviews went up by thousands the percentage never moved.

The Rise of Skywalker is a steaming pile of garbage some films have plot holes but this thing is totally incoherent.

Serious question can ANYBODY point out any part of this film that they enjoyed?

I loved Kylo and Rey's connection scenes, Kylo's redemption, the little scene with Luke, all of Po's stuff, the bit where I thought Chewie died, Rey fighting at the end and hearing Ahsoka, the little Han scene, that awesome bit with Rey and Kylo fighting in the water, the chase scene, the bit with the guy who done the music with all the little bits behind him was cool to see.

Few bits I didn't like, bringing the Emporer back but sure be grand, Finn always shouting "REY!" a few bits from Jedi that were ignored.

Since the prequels I've had such low expectations for Star Wars so maybe that's why I enjoyed it, or I choose to see the positives and just enjoy it for what it is, a rollercoaster of fun moments. So f*ck your trolling comments, I enjoyed the film and that's all that matter. Goodnight. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

FWIW there’s an entire generation out there of kids that have no interest whatsoever in the original films and find them boring yet they llove Rebels and the prequel films and sequels

The view here that it all sucks and disney ruined it is reallly myopic and poorly informed in my view. You’re only looking at it from your POV and failing to see the complete picture

Ps don’t use falling toy sales as a metric
    That entire industry is on the ropes as kids focus is on games and apps now.
    It’s by no means specific to this franchise at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: OK, have had to issue some cards as this thread continues to be an absolute mess.

Just lay off the constant back-and-forth sniping please.

If you think someone is trolling, please report them rather than just constantly arguing about it on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Kids I know mainly prefer the cartoons, and bits of the movies.

They re-watch the cartoons but not the movies unless I put them on. I tend to only watch my favorite bits. Rarely a whole movie.

There are bits I like in all the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Am I the only one that thinks it is hilarious that the Skywalker saga ends with all the Skywalker's dead and Palpatine's granddaughter alive to steal their name, their lightsabers and their homestead on Tatooine?

If people are using the sequels toy sales not doing well for a marker of how "star wars is dying" then that's wrong. The toy industry as a whole is dying, WWE isn't selling, Turtles and Transformers aren't selling, the only toys really selling is POP and game related toys and adults but a lot of that stuff.

And for the last time I'm not trolling so drop it.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    If people are using the sequels toy sales not doing well for a marker of how "star wars is dying" then that's wrong. The toy industry as a whole is dying, WWE isn't selling, Turtles and Transformers aren't selling, the only toys really selling is POP and game related toys and adults but a lot of that stuff.

And for the last time I'm not trolling so drop it.

Lego and Lego Star wars is selling...

http://thebrickblogger.com/2020/03/lego-2019-annual-report-financial-results/

Hasbro also...

https://investor.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-reports-third-quarter-2019-financial-results

Both mention star wars...

Am I the only one that thinks it is hilarious that the Skywalker saga ends with all the Skywalker's dead and Palpatine's granddaughter alive to steal their name, their lightsabers and their homestead on Tatooine?

The emperor wins kinda?

Maybe Games of Thrones had started a new trend for abysmal endings.

Unless of course you loved it.

Lego is always gonna sell. It's Lego. You could slap an arse on the box and call it Lego and it'll sell.

Did they actually release and Rise toys? I can't remember seeing any in Smyths? Just pops and the usual saber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

Maybe Games of Thrones had started a new trend for abysmal endings.

Unless of course you loved it.

There are people that claim the last season of GOT is very good/brilliant and "the fans" only hated it because it was the trendy thing to do.

Nothing at all to do with the dramatic and disastrous plunge in competent story telling and script-writing, no, couldn't possibly be.

It's the same with Rise of Skywalker. Some people screaming about "toxic fans" and "rose tinted glasses" and all other sorts of buzz words against perfectly logical and reasoned discussion about why it was just a terrible finale to an inconsistent trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Something to think about, and I know it's two absolutely different franchises, and both under the Disney banner.
    Would The Rise Of Skywalker have fared better had it not been in the shadow of Avengers: Endgame?

Homelander wrote: »
    There are people that claim the last season of GOT is very good/brilliant and "the fans" only hated it because it was the trendy thing to do.

Nothing at all to do with the dramatic and disastrous plunge in competent story telling and script-writing, no, couldn't possibly be.

It's the same with Rise of Skywalker. Some people screaming about "toxic fans" and "rose tinted glasses" and all other sorts of buzz words against perfectly logical and reasoned discussion about why it was just a terrible finale to an inconsistent trilogy.

Have you been on Twitter or Facebook, Reddit? The Star Wars pages are full of toxic fans, photoshops of Kennedy hanging on a noose, the girl who played rose in all sorts of horrid photos. All these posts starting with "death to this and that..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes, and like any normal sane person I recognize that 99.9% of fans, no matter how much they disliked the movie, don't engage in those kind of antics and 99.9% of discussion about the movie on Reddit, for one example, isn't "toxic"

Like, this Rose thing is always being brought up - 99% of people who didn't like Rose, didn't like Rose because she was a **** character and vocalised that opinion. Nothing whatsoever to do with her being a woman, or Asian.

But the whole narrative gets twisted by some people like they were the two biggest factors in the negative reception. A handful of trolls online doesn't represent "Star Wars fans" like they're some sort of communal hive.

Trolls will just be trolls no matter what franchise or subject. They do it because they think it's funny - South Park covered the topic pretty well when Jared goes online and unwinds with a bottle of wine and increasingly toxic trolling. It's trolling for trollings sake, not "fan reaction".

Hating the movie, the characters, the narrative, the person in charge of the Disney ship or whatever isn't toxic, it's just a negative opinion. There are lots of thing I hate, absolutely despise, about Rise of Skywalker....vocalising that isn't toxic.

In all 188 pages of discussion here on Boards.ie about this movie I really don't think there has been any "toxic" fandom present whatsoever unless you start painting negative criticism as "toxic" (which is what the term in relation to fandom has started to mean for some people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    Have you been on Twitter or Facebook, Reddit? The Star Wars pages are full of toxic fans, photoshops of Kennedy hanging on a noose, the girl who played rose in all sorts of horrid photos. All these posts starting with "death to this and that..."

You say you have seen all of the six Lucas films except 4 of them.
    Without seeing the films you deem them rubbish.

What has the post above got to do with anybody on this thread or site?

Nobody has engaged in any of this here.

These new films have been slated as many deem them to be complete and utter rubbish.

People are here to discuss the films NONE of us have engaged in any of the stuff you are posting about.

Why don't you report these people to Facebook Twitter or Reddit?

No don't use those sites at all. 99.9% is just garbage. Even friends and family its all utter banal stuff. Only heard about this stuff from this thread. It's nothing to do with this discussing the movie or film so have no interest in knowing anything about it.

No don't use those sites at all. 99.9% is just garbage. Even friends and family its all utter banal stuff. Only heard about this stuff from this thread.
    I don't use any of the above sites either.

We are here to discuss a film.
    The discussion is meant to be light and friendly.

None of us have attacked anybody and it is not right to be called toxic for pointing out that the latest film what pure utter rubbish.

I am interested that some enjoyed this movie. I don't agree but I accept and respect that opinion.

There were some spectacular locations and sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I am one of those that agree Rose was a terrible character, but what has happened to her in the backlash of these movies is horrid. The girl just filled a role that Star wars was casting, a dream job for any actor and im sure anybody would have jumped at the opportunity.

Similar thing happened to Hayden with the prequels, actor filling a dream job, but all failings dumped on him for some reason :confused:

Anyway, Rise was a pretty woeful movie as far as the story telling went, its a result of poor planning and rushed execution. They should have had a set story to tell from the get go instead of making it up as they went along and shoe horning the SJW crap into a Space fantasy :rolleyes:

I am interested that some enjoyed this movie.

There were some spectacular locations and sets.

Lots of us here purchased endless merchandise and as regards the films had them on VHS VHS widescreen letterbox DVD Blu Ray Digital distribution.

The narrative been spun it is only toxic hateful fans that have a problem with these dreadful Disney films.

The way a see it is Disney are using these FEW nuts as cover to shield their films rubbish films from honest reviews.

Is Mark Hamill a toxic hater?

• Advertisement

Lots of us here purchased endless merchandise and as regards the films had them on VHS VHS widescreen letterbox DVD Blu Ray Digital distribution.

The narrative been spun it is only toxic hateful fans that have a problem with these dreadful Disney films.

The way a see it is Disney are using these FEW nuts as cover to shield their films rubbish films from honest reviews.

Is Mark Hamill a toxic hater?

Or John Boyega, who has been less than kind towards the sequels, if anyone wants to Google. I mean sure he got paid a nice wedge, but the Finn character, wasted story arc. Same goes for Captain Phasma as well.

Nobody here should have to apologise for twisted nuts in the online world these are only films.
    Cast crew or producers should not have personal stuff posted at them but NONE of us here have EVER engaged in this.

As regards the end product it is totally fair game.

Following these films was somewhat of a hobby for many of us.
    Suspension of disbelief we could jump into a fantasy world for two hours or so.

I was invested in these films in as much as I enjoyed the escape for two hours or so.

This thread is to discuss The Rise of Skywalker and my genuine honest opinion is that I feel this film is unwatchable trash.

I don't have any entitlement to say what Disney should put out but I do have a right to state my opinion on their product and not buy.

By me and others stating their opinion it is my HOPE that Disney will see the business sense and try and put out some content that disappointed fans would engage with.

There is not point in screaming at the fans if they don't like the content Disney is putting out.

I mentioned it earlier, but no one seemed to take it.

Would The Rise Of Skywalker have fared better had it not been in the massive shadow of Endgame, even though there was 8 months between both finales?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Or John Boyega, who has been less than kind towards the sequels, if anyone wants to Google. I mean sure he got paid a nice wedge, but the Finn character, wasted story arc. Same goes for Captain Phasma as well.

Poe Hux Maz.

Even the Planets are the same none of the Aliens species in these films are named the planets have NO culture all we ever see is one location on each planet.

Tatooine
    Naboo
    Endor Moon
    Coruscant
    Geonosis
    Bespin
    Kamino

All fleshed out worlds that feel like they are living environments even Rogue One has Jedha.

All the worlds and people in the new trilogy are just placeholders.

Han Solo home Planet Corellia

Princess Leia home Planet Alderaan

Padme home Planet Naboo.

Poe?

Finn?

Ray yellow pack Tatooine.

Would The Rise Of Skywalker have fared better had it not been in the massive shadow of Endgame, even though there was 8 months between both finales?

Maybe with the younger crowd never been into that Marvel stuff.

Poe Hux Maz.

Even the Planets are the same none of the Aliens species in these films are named the planets have NO culture all we ever see is one location on each planet.

Tatooine
    Naboo
    Endor Moon
    Coruscant
    Geonosis
    Bespin
    Kamino

All fleshed out worlds that feel like they are living environments even Rogue One has Jedha.

All the worlds and people in the new trilogy are just placeholders.

Han Solo home Planet Corellia

Princess Leia home Planet Alderaan

Padme home Planet Naboo.

Poe?

Finn?

Ray yellow pack Tatooine.

We could spend days picking apart the sequel trilogy and all that could've been, had it been fleshed out properly.

Maybe with the younger crowd never been into that Marvel stuff.

I love both Star Wars and the Marvel stuff, but in terms of going back and re-watching again and again, Endgame doesn't waste a moment of it's run time, and there's a lot packed into it.

Homelander wrote: »
    Like, this Rose thing is always being brought up - 99% of people who didn't like Rose, didn't like Rose because she was a **** character and vocalised that opinion. Nothing whatsoever to do with her being a woman, or Asian.
    nix wrote: »
    I am one of those that agree Rose was a terrible character

Rose was awful. There's no two ways about it.

She exists purely so Finn (another awful "character") would have someone to talk to on his insipid side trek. She is utterly pointless and made even more wretched by the dreadful dialogue she has to say, especially that preposterous ending remark in 'The Last Jedi'.

Her character is such a non-entity that the writers of 'The Rise of Skywalker' couldn't even think of anything for her to do in that film.

But, likewise, Finn is useless too, after about 15 minutes into 'The Force Awakens'. Once he decides to defect, his story is effectively over and he becomes just another face filling up screen time and taking it away from Rey, who should have been the sole heroic focus for the trilogy.

The bottom line is that there just no real need for Finn, Poe, Rose, Admiral Holdo, Zorii Bliss, Jannah, Maz Kenata and an whole host of nothings that wander onto the screen and simply take up space. They are all just flab that could have been trimmed and nothing of value would have been lost.

It's terrible writing.

I don't think so. The film was scuppered because it's a fumbling attempt at a save in the light of what Rian Johnson threw into his effort.

But the trilogy, as a whole, is a failure. None of the films survive any kind of minimum scrutiny. So, on that basis, 'The Rise of Skywalker' isn't alone. All of the sequels problems begin with who is in charge and how JJ Abrams was allowed to just, basically, remake the 1977 film...poorly. Johnson tried to make his entry "different" and "interesting", but that alone doesn't equate to a good film. And then Abrams gets drafted in again to try an jumble up something just the get the whole mess over the line.

When that is the sum of what Disney has done with their Star Wars sequels, it wouldn't have mattered when 'The Rise of Skywalker' was released. The poor pedigree doomed it, not its release date.

• Advertisement

I didn't mind Rose. She lost her sister and wanted a purpose. Finn I liked in 1 and kinda in 2, I really liked him in 3 with Po when he wasn't shoouting "REY!" that got old. FFS man she's a Jedi just let her be, she can handle herself.

Advertisement