Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

1909192939496»

Comments

the Nazis ran germany with passion and had brilliant quality systems fyi

hate to godwin but ffs what nonsense

the movie stands on its merits, which are few aside from looking slickish and covering as much as possible (and far more than advisable) in what feels like several hours

without a strong, coherent and resonant plotline and well developed, handled and portrayed characters, you have a hugely flawed movie

regardless of genre, regardless of franchise

this is a hugely flawed movie. gibberish nonsense with zero consistency or patience for its characters or story.

its hard to imagine anyone defending it in actual sincerity and tbh your posting style in the thread doesnt convince me that sincerity is 100% present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Most people are saying this was only made for money and rushed out for this and that, go watch the behind the scenes.

None of its as simple as you're trying to imply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

beauf wrote: »
    Not really. They remade true grit and its a great film. French connection 2. Aliens(2), the GodFather 2.

Rogue is a decent film. Awakens apart from being a copy is ok.

I think it's becoming clear is that a lot of people can't tell a good movie from a bad one. They don't care either. Especially with a franchise they'll accept any old drivel.

While this is certainly the case for some people, I think the problem centres more around people staking a claim to something and then sticking to it, regardless, because it becomes personal. Which in the case of Star Wars films is absurd on numerous levels.

All too often, however, you'll see legitimate criticism of the sequels countered with whataboutery regarding the other movies, as opposed to using the supposed merits of the sequels as a counter argument. Picking out the flaws of films made 40 years ago, because one is upset by criticism of a movie made today is ridiculous. It doesn't make the contemporary film any better.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Build a second Death Star set that tone in TESB/TROTJ.

That doesn't make the sequels any better.

Very true Tony.

• Advertisement

I think its very different to have to save the galaxy, or the world again. Or have the same people on a missions again. Or they've created a super weapon again.

Than copying almost every scene in a movie.

That said. I was more amused by the laziness of it, than annoyed in the Awakens movie. There was enough other stuff going on, to overlook it. But by Skywalker, it stopped being even vaguely funny. For me anyway. Obviously some people here either didn't notice, or didn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

the story, script and acting are pretty rotten

Your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

Disney Star Wars sequel trilogy is terrible.An absolute disgrace to the franchise caused by a woman who should never have been let near the property.

Even George Lucas realized his mistake in letting KK run his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Disney Star Wars sequel trilogy is terrible.An absolute disgrace to the franchise caused by a woman who should never have been let near the property.

Where are you getting that George Lucas is unhappy with Kathleen Kennedy? My understanding of it was he would only give it over to Disney because of KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

The sequel trilogy is terrible but it wasn't caused by Kennedy.

She trusted in JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. They caused it.

Why she, Iger and other intelligent people let it carry on is beyond me. Maybe just lack of imagination.

I would love to know what Dave Filoni and Jon Faverau think of the sequels but they are too professional and classy to say negative things (if they do have negative thoughts).

The other two movies and the Mandolorian are fantastic. Resistance is a lovely animation and a nice light hearted tone that is dragged down by the pointless Empire 2.0 (although that is not an accurate description as 2.0 implies an improvement).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Citation needed there. Pretty big claim to make without at least providing a link to back it up.

I've not got any impression Lucas has even been floating about in the public domain, let alone trash talking about a fellow executive. The man sold to Disney so he could retire a very wealthy man.

People seem to pretend to forget KK was involved with Mando and Clone Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    People seem to pretend to forget KK was involved with Mando and Clone Wars.

I would be brazen as to speculate the average harsh critic couldn't name 5 other Hollywood producers without Googling. I know I couldn't (bar
    Jason Blum, Kevin Feige off the top of my head
    ). They're almost never in the spotlight, by design too. But 'cos Star Wars is a pop culture sacred cow, Kennedy then a convenient strawman. earned or not (Solo was a balls up at the executive level for sure so she definitely isn't blameless)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The only ‘real’ Star Wars is the original trilogy, everything that has followed is just inferior cash ins, the prequels/sequels/EU/Disney+, the lot!

In fact, Star Wars was just one movie (not a saga) until Lucas saw he was onto a goldmine and was clever enough to quickly relabel Star Wars as ‘Episode IV’ during its original cinema run.

Lucas original idea for a sequel was contained in the novel ‘Splinter of the Minds Eye’, which could be made into a low budget sequel movie if Star Wars made a profit. When you see how bad that is (a low key spin off with just Luke and Leia set on one planet chasing a crystal), you realise the prequels/sequels are miles better.

Also, the infamous Holiday Special shows where Lucas originally saw Star Wars in 1977 - cheap throwaway entertainment for kids, not some epic saga to run over multiple trilogies/decades. Empire Strikes Back changed all that however !!

pixelburp wrote: »
    I would be brazen as to speculate the average harsh critic couldn't name 5 other Hollywood producers without Googling. I know I couldn't (bar
    Jason Blum, Kevin Feige off the top of my head
    ). They're almost never in the spotlight, by design too. But 'cos Star Wars is a pop culture sacred cow, Kennedy then a convenient strawman. earned or not (Solo was a balls up at the executive level for sure so she definitely isn't blameless)

I only know her name because I watch the BTS of Mando on D+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    watched it tonight on blu-ray not bad, much better than Last Jedi

7/10 from me, surprised it's got a low scoring imdb and RT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I tried to re-watch this a while ago and couldn't get past the first 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney
    I tried to re-watch this a while ago and couldn't get past the first 20 minutes.

I agree I find it almost unwatchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Jesus thats oscar worthy in comparison to the last 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Rumours abound of internal war in Lucasfilm and Disney concerning retconning the sequel trilogy out of existence. Kennedy dead against it but others eager to wipe the slate clean via alternative timeline nonsense.

Should be hilarious if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Rumours abound of internal war in Lucasfilm and Disney concerning retconning the sequel trilogy out of existence. Kennedy dead against it but others eager to wipe the slate clean via alternative timeline nonsense.

reboot it all I say and make it 18+ ie Deadpool.
    Even the original stuff is meh really. Or completely move away from the Skywalker saga and do Darth Bane trilogy etc..what kid wouldn't love a murderous looking Darth Bane from no3 as a doll?

It might be little far fetched but Doomcock notes: "Han doesn't walk stupidly into a lightsaber, Leia doesn't fly like Mary Poppins through space, Luke has nothing to run away from and consumes no green milk, and I am informed there will be no amazing 'wonder Rey' as she was born after The Emperor's death."

Sounds like fandom desperation, inventing a rumour to justify both their hatred of Kennedy and the sequels themselves. Cos then it's "not canon" and they can feel warm and safe again their films about Space Wizards hasn't fulfilled them to their satisfaction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sounds like fandom desperation, inventing a rumour to justify both their hatred of Kennedy and the sequels themselves. Cos then it's "not canon" and they can feel warm and safe again their films about Space Wizards hasn't fulfilled them to their satisfaction :D

yeah they should just accept that the last 6 films are basically pos and move on.
    These hard core fans are just saps really no matter what the franchise.
    Supernatural which I've been watching for the past 12 years is in its last season 15 years and they've obviously decided to pander to the hard core fans and its been the worst season by a mile. At this stage I don't think anyone cares if it doesn't come back after covid.
    Plus all those people saying "oh i cried when I saw Dean do that or that character made me the man or woman I am today...jesus christ get a grip and go see a therapist ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never ceases to amaze me the complete and utter horse**** people will believe if some ranting YouTuber says it or some dumb, blatantly nonsensical clickbait site prints it.

The amount of rubbish that has been spouted about these films over the past half decade is amusing. Can’t count the amount of times Kathleen Kennedy has apparently been ousted / resigned.

I've lately been coming around to the idea that the only way to get "over" canon is to just accept it. Like, all of it :D Good, bad and the Holiday Special. It's all part of the same universe. Otherwise it's just a tangled web of frustration and fan tears trying to square the bits you personally don't like. And applying it to my own biggest source of geekery - Dr. Who - it kinda makes the whole thing more fun if suddenly EVERY piece of media becomes canon :D

Rumours from whom?

Sounds like a load of old baloney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    I've lately been coming around to the idea that the only way to get "over" canon is to just accept it. Like, all of it :D Good, bad and the Holiday Special. It's all part of the same universe. Otherwise it's just a tangled web of frustration and fan tears trying to square the bits you personally don't like. And applying it to my own biggest source of geekery - Dr. Who - it kinda makes the whole thing more fun if suddenly EVERY piece of media becomes canon :D

Canon only really makes sense as a concept if you care about internal consistency. Nearly all of the Bond movies are canon, for example, in the sense that they're official Eon-made films, but no one cares that Bond is a time-travelling, shapeshifting lunatic who has more personalities than a psychiatric ward.

I'm past caring about retcons and reboots, timelines and dream sequences. What's the point?

mikhail wrote: »
    Nearly all of the Bond movies are canon,

Are they though?

I don't think there's any "canon" at all going on with Bond, except for the last outing with Craig, whose films have been interlinked in a clear way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement