Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who will replace Dunphy?

• 27-07-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭

who will replace Dunphy on the RTE panel? A lot of people have no time for him and i agree he did come out with some ridiculous comments but I will miss him, there are some very bland safe guys left on the panel.

I always said roy keane would be a good fit but i doubt he will ever work for RTE.

Lines like "hes the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one" and coming on the show half cut, priceless:pac: what a legend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd do it for half his wages and half the whiskey he drinks before going live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Imagine Brady, Duff and Sadlier are the main 3 surely.

Brady is the last man standing, and the one I wouldn't miss at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Soon as I heard the news, my first thought was that Brady might walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Patww79 wrote: »
    Whatever about Sadlier being head over heels about himself, he's still about a million times more interesting than Duff. He's like a bold child being chastised and angrily muttering answers.

Just bring in Kerr and Souness.

Sadlier is awful I think. There’s just some kind of cockiness he has that doesn’t sit well with me.

I used to really like Hamann but recently he has been a bit over the top in the criticism stakes.
    I Think Duff is great. Souness was also top notch and a loss when he went to TV3.
    What happened to Kenny Cunningham, he was ok as a backup panelist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I agree with the OP in that Keane would be a good replacement but it would never happen.

Certainly needs someone that can be a bit controversial and able to stir things, well that's if you want another Dunphy type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

IL miss his wild style of punditry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Kevin Doyle was good I thought during the World Cup. Duff is terrible, really angry all the time.

• Advertisement

There's no entertainers on the panel anymore which is what most people tuned in for.

I never watched RTE for actual punditary. Do many pundits actually tell you more than you know yourself? No, almost all the time.

For entertainment I'd watch Keane now that Dunphy is one. Even then he's pretty predictable. He's also surrounded by pretty boring figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rtes panel was the only one I have watched regularly in recent years, as I have given up on them.

If there is a big game on TV now on say Sky or the Bbc, I tune in for the game at kickoff and tune out once it's finished. Don't do analysis any more, I don't need it.

But Rte was different, you might hear guys speak the truth. But with Dunphy now gone, I'll not be watching it on Rte any more either. I cam do without hearing the inane ramblings of Duff and Co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doyle impressed me during the World Cup. I liked his enthusiasm, such as when he was praising Cavani's attributes and how much he enjoys watching him. You get the feeling he is in enjoying himself, whereas a lot of the other pundits like Duff, Dunne and Sadlier look like they are doing community service being there.

My preferred Champions League panel would be Doyle, Brady and Hamann but I suspect Duff will get the nod over Doyle since he has more CL experience.

For international games I'd like to see Kerr on the panel, and any two of Brady, Doyle or Given. I suspect Sadlier will feature prominently though which is a pity. In my view he's been dining off his anti-Trap stance for years now. Trap critics liked him for articulating that viewpoint but when you really get down to it he offers nothing of note in his analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Has to be Sadlier full time aka Dunphy Shock Jock Jnr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I said it on one of the World Cup threads but jesus Duff looks like someone who's been dragged out of bed for school by his mother and his attitude matches that , he's possibly the worst pundit I've come across which is some feat considering some of BT's best ,

As for replacing him I don't know Dunphy was one of a kind there isn't really anyone like him out there , More important question is who will love Wes Houlihan now ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sadlier probably - but really Eamon is irreplaceble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Kerr, Souness, Brady and Didi, with giving Doyle a go at some matches.

I think Souness needs someone to bounce off and have conflict to bring out the best in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Duff is dreadful and his analysis makes Thierry Henry look brilliant.

I'd bin him and get Kevin Doyle back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The panelists will be switched around as has been incrementally been the trend for almost half a decade now. It was an increasing rarity that all 3 of Giles, Dunphy, Brady ere on the same panel before Giles departed.

As much as I don't mind Darragh as much as a few people do, Bill O'Herlihy as much more of a loss to the studio when he departed than either Dunphy and Giles will be/were respectively.

Brady, Duff, Sadlier, Didi, Keith Andrews (who was the best new comer imo) Houghton, Dunne, Doyle. Kerr on't be available for Champions League, TV3 have far better deal than RTE so he would be a fool to negolect that contract.

I can't see him on the panel for international mathces either. He tends to do the radio commentary for those and the late night highlights programme and LOI programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

They all have too much media training and they’ve all been watching pundits for a long time. They just copy each other and nobody really stands out. Everyone gets annoying after a while.

I wouldn’t listen to Sadlier if you paid me. Either you have to have played at a very high level or you have to have a way with words.

I wouldn’t mind people like Duff and Irwin being on the panel. I’d definitely listen to them. I don’t know anyone who could replace Dunphy though.

I wonder if Mick McCarthy would be interested at all?

• Advertisement

, More important question is who will love Wes Houlihan now ??

Hoolahan retired so Dunphy's work was done in that respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,577 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Should get Roy Keane in, give him the money he wants. He tells it like it is .

Considering Keane is on half a million with the FAI, so isn't going to leave that and has a cushy number for ITV for CL games.............you haven't really thought about it!

How much would you expect RTE to be paying Keane!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Bosco?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How about one of the Healy-Rae’s to replace Dunphy .

He's an awful pundit.

He churns out this driven persona, don't celebrate getting to a semi final, players are spoiled type stuff, and we remember just how he celebrated when we got to a second round in the Euros or his antics every time his contract came up when he was a player himself.

He's an awful pundit.

He churns out this driven persona, don't celebrate getting to a semi final, players are spoiled type stuff, and we remember just how he celebrated when we got to a second round in the Euros or his antics every time his contract came up when he was a player himself.

ouch - I enjoy him - alway have (favourite player) , some of his commente are tongue in teach , roy Keane doesn't take himslef as seiously as many others - like Dunphy makes great TV

thebaz wrote: »
    ouch - I enjoy him - alway have (favourite player) , some of his commente are tongue in teach , roy Keane doesn't take himslef as seiously as many others - like Dunphy makes great TV

In fairness to him, it could be knowing irony, and he may well playing up to his image as opposed to being genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Is Kenny Cunningham done with RTE? Didn't see him at all during the World Cup. Not that I'd be calling for him too often, just noticed his absence.

I like Sadlier and I presume they'll go for Hamann, Souness, Brady and Andrews on a bit of a rotation, with Duff and Doyle involved too.

Tbh, RTE's whole format could probably use a refresh. It's all a bit bland at the minute, not that there's anything better on UK TV either, though. Even good pundits get lost in the clichés, the limited time to speak, etc

• Advertisement

For actual punditry Sadlier is the best imo. That's why him and Eamonn clashed a few times, as he was talking sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Keano is the only cranky curmudgeon able to fill Dunphy's boots... he'd probably do a lot more than throw his pen if he got wound up though!

I'm sure RTE will give it to someone 'safe' and we'll end up with a completely boring panel for Ireland soccer matches... which probably won't be too bad as it'll fit in with the style that the team under O'Neill play mostly anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think Duff is already on his way to being the grumpy contrarian that Dunphy was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Dunphy was happy to play the fool and he was good at it .

A good play / farce can always use a fool .

Dunphy was clever enough to get well paid for being the fool ; Smart enough .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,577 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Paul McGrath would be great, he's sensible and well respected

Paul McGrath is definitely well respected, as a footballer, and he has a place in the heart of Irish football fans but he would be a poor pundit.

I am not sure what you mean by sensible either? McGrath has never shown any interest in punditry and I can't remember him ever behind a camera as a pundit. Apart from the odd comment about Villa he steers clear of discussing football,

Most of his very rare public appearances are nostalgic interviews, most of which transpire into a near patronising eulogy! He seems uncomfortable on air also.

I love McGrath as a player and he has a likeable personality but I couldn't see him, nor would he have any interest in being a pundit.

• Advertisement

Paul mcGrath would not be a good pundit - he is very shy and shuns publicity - Paul McGrath could talk rubbish but no one would say nothing, cause he was such a legend of a player - best Irish player ever (along with Keane) -
    Duff was another wonderful player , but Eamon in his heyday blew him away regards punditry. Duff should try coaching or promotions , but stay away from TV - proably doesnt need money anyways.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hope was eye candy. Bring back hope! The duffer does nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Ossie Ardilies,just for the fluency of his English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is Kenny Cunningham done with RTE? Didn't see him at all during the World Cup. Not that I'd be calling for him too often, just noticed his absence.

I like Sadlier and I presume they'll go for Hamann, Souness, Brady and Andrews on a bit of a rotation, with Duff and Doyle involved too.

Tbh, RTE's whole format could probably use a refresh. It's all a bit bland at the minute, not that there's anything better on UK TV either, though. Even good pundits get lost in the clichés, the limited time to speak, etc
    I'd listen to Kenny Cuningham all day. I might not agree with him all the time but I want people to say how they see it. Dunphy used to be like that but lately he was talking crap just to deliberately get attention. Cunningham doesn't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Joe Brolly, pretty much same gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Oddball -even when he was a player he was odd hed be the one I would like to see gone

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Paul mcGrath would not be a good pundit - he is very shy and shuns publicity - Paul McGrath could talk rubbish but no one would say nothing, cause he was such a legend of a player - best Irish player ever (along with Keane) -
    Duff was another wonderful player , but Eamon in his heyday blew him away regards punditry. Duff should try coaching or promotions , but stay away from TV - proably doesnt need money anyways.

This is incorrect as Paul was on BBC a few years back as a regular pundit and was a great success until he fell off the wagon -Duff makes great points if you listen to him but sh1ts the course while doing it

Zico ! wrote: »

This is incorrect as Paul was on BBC a few years back as a regular pundit and was a great success until he fell off the wagon -Duff makes great points if you listen to him but sh1ts the course while doing it

"A few years"

That was 16 years ago. He was meant to be commentating on Ireland games in South Korea and Japan but was sent home drunk. I'll admit I can't recall him though. Was he ever in studio as a panelist? I doubt it

Just read something. He done 1 MOTD and was due to do some BBC radio commentary but the drink saga happened and he was "sent home"

He said in same interview for fourfourtwo he has no further interest in it so not sure where you are getting this regular appearance stuff from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Cunningham and Andrews are excellent on Newstalk....better than anything RTE have

Andrews is on RTE !

Daniel McDonnell may be worth a look at for international games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Daniel McDonnell may be worth a look at for international games
    I'm a fan of his on newstalk but my concern would be he spends a lot of time around the Irish team with the Indo so would he be objective enough to be open/ critical when needed without worrying about it affecting his relationship with the team management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cunningham

Kenny comes across great on Newstalk as the lads on that have a joke and a laugh with him. Pretty sure they of delve into what biscuits he likes and stuff like that and he feeds off that energy. Whereas TV is more formulaic and stuffy and thats ho he comes off to me.

Advertisement