Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating The Leaving and Doing a PLC

Options
  • 28-07-2018 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,

I just repeated my Leaving Cert there and I'm confident that I did alright but caused myself a major problem by not picking up chemistry as it's needed for the course I'm interested in Europe so I basically need to repeat. I was thinking about doing a PLC for the year while studying at home (I've been to both a normal and repeat school). Is it a good idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not clear why you want to do a PLC?
    Do you need it for your course?
    Someone else might want that place.

If you're confident enough to study at home go for it, though I think following a course in Chemistry even in night classes would make things easier. You can do the rest yourself, as you have done it before. make sure you are up to speed on any changes in prescribed topics etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dublad2k15

No I'm not able to use it for the course I'm interested in. I feel the PLC could prepare me well for some modules of my course and potentially get some work experience which might help out with the personal statements I need for my Uni application.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it will help towards your application, go for it. It's a fair amount of work though, especially if you want to get Distinctions all round, so just be aware of that and pace yourself. Beware of potential scheduling clashes re LC practicals/orals etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

spurious wrote: »
    I'm not clear why you want to do a PLC?
    Do you need it for your course?
    Someone else might want that place.

If you're confident enough to study at home go for it, though I think following a course in Chemistry even in night classes would make things easier. You can do the rest yourself, as you have done it before. make sure you are up to speed on any changes in prescribed topics etc..

Spurious is right. Drop the PLC and find something you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Spurious not sure what you're intention here was exactly but I don't think you should be suggesting things like that to students. You have to understand as a senior moderator on this forum that your words carry a lot of weight with the users on here. Be responsible.

• Advertisement

Spurious not sure what you're intention here was exactly but I don't think you should be suggesting things like that to students. You have to understand as a senior moderator on this forum that your words carry a lot of weight with the users on here. Be responsible.

I asked why they needed a PLC, they explained it would help with their application for their intended course.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply.

People make their own minds up. I do not have that low of an opinion of the users here, or that high an opinion of myself that they will all rush out and do what I say.

I am not a 'senior moderator', unless that means an oul' one who spends too much time answering questions online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

spurious wrote: »
    I asked why they needed a PLC, they explained it would help with their application for their intended course.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply.

People make their own minds up. I do not have that low of an opinion of the users here, or that high an opinion of myself that they will all rush out and do what I say.

I am not a 'senior moderator', unless that means an oul' one who spends too much time answering questions online.

Yes, but to be fair, you were kind of telling them not to bother with a PLC and it seemed a bit opinionated. Obviously you're entitled to an opinion, but this person was pretty keen on a PLC and telling them not to do one is almost off-topic. Just my own observations, you're a very well established poster here and your opinion changes people's decisions.

Anyone who posts here knows my opinion of PLCs.

I pointed out it wouldn't be fair to take a place from someone else if it wasn't necessary, which I stand by. For many people a PLC is a stepping stone, for some it is the desired course.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... but this person was pretty keen on a PLC and telling them not to do one is almost off-topic.
    If you post on an online forum, you will get a variety of different opinions, not all of which will necessarily agree with you.

You are all young adults (assuming you're doing LC), you should be perfectly capable by now of listening to different opinions and weighing them up.

And tbh, looking at spurious' first two posts in this thread, I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what people are getting their knickers in a twist about!
    Spurious is right. Drop the PLC and find something you're interested in.
    Yes, but to be fair, you were kind of telling them not to bother with a PLC and it seemed a bit opinionated. Obviously you're entitled to an opinion, but this person was pretty keen on a PLC and telling them not to do one is almost off-topic. Just my own observations, you're a very well established poster here and your opinion changes people's decisions.

Also, whut?!

Someone is trolling, methinks!

Or like his almost namesake, he can't remember what his opinion is from one minute to the next!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

keep the politics out of it please randy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement