Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why not ban knives

• 28-07-2018 3:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

Recent amount of knife attacks in UK and Ireland should obviously warrant a ban on knives? No? Oh and trucks as well just in case. Licensing doesn't work, need a complete ban, that should stop the criminals. Knives at least should require a personal licence like firearms and should be signed off by superintendent.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How would we play knifey spoony then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

How would we play knifey spoony then?

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh that was a good one. I am on the floor here can barely breathe because of the hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Might as well ban every other household item that can be used as a weapon too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

If you ban knives, other house hold objects will be used instead. I predict a rise in tea-pot crime. Ban tea-pots? Then sauce pans become the next deadly weapon of choice.

• Advertisement

I believe they are age-restricted, aren't they?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    If you ban knives, other house hold objects will be used instead. I predict a rise in tea-pot crime. Ban tea-pots? Then sauce pans become the next deadly weapon of choice.

Everything should need a licence and be signed off by superintendent. It's easy to slaughter with a knife but not as easy with a teapot. It's for the good of everyone. That's all that matters.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Do you need a hand? Don't worry, I'm willing to help..

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Never bring a teapot to a knife fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Stigura wrote: »
    Never bring a teapot to a knife fight.

Handy though if you want to de-escalate the situation

Or else just need a cuppa tae.....you could bring a knife AND a teapot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It must a terrible thing to be killled from.

You bleed out slowly.

If you're going to kill a man put two in his hat as the old Mafia saying went. Make it as quick and as painless as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ban knives Ban Spoons Ban all household utensils!

Use your hands instead - it saves on the washing up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Give everybody a gun but ban bullets. A good pistol whippin’ would sort out threads like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Give everybody a gun but ban bullets. A good pistol whippin’ would sort out threads like this one.

Ice bullets .... (from the frezzer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Banning things never makes problems go away. Harsher sentences and conditions for carrying a knife and committing knife crime will lower the number but as the brits have found out acid became the next weapon of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

gozunda wrote: »
    Ice bullets .... (from the frezzer)

God damn you Gozunda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Recent amount of knife attacks in UK and Ireland should obviously warrant a ban on knives? No? Oh and trucks as well just in case. Licensing doesn't work, need a complete ban, that should stop the criminals. Knives at least should require a personal licence like firearms and should be signed off by superintendent.

How would we butter our toast??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reati wrote:
    Banning things never makes problems go away. Harsher sentences and conditions for carrying a knife and committing knife crime will lower the number but as the brits have found out acid became the next weapon of choice.

Does harsher sentencing even work for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

No more steak then...

Wanderer78 wrote: »

It would if the sentences were actually harsher.

• Advertisement

Reati wrote:
    It would if the sentences were actually harsher.

How sure are we of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

If you ban knives from schools, how are the kids supposed to peel their orange at lunchtime? Do you suggest we ban oranges from the school lunchbox next is it?

Why don't you just come out of the long grass and say it straight out. You don't like Oranges, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Just make stab vests compulsory

How sure are we of this?

Who is the we you refer to? You don't seem convinced so are you in the we? Is it a collective Irish we? A global we?

How can we be sure of who this "we" is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Just make stab vests compulsory

See , there we go , the first sensible logical post .

Reati wrote:
    Who is the we you refer to? You don't seem convinced so are you in the we? Is it a collective Irish we? A global we?

Whoy who, whaty who. Is there evidence to support harsher sentencing truly reduces these types of crimes?

Whoy who, whaty who. Is there evidence to support harsher sentencing truly reduces these types of crimes?

Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Reati wrote: »

Of course.
    where is the evidence? Is it just you Ted

Reati wrote:
    Of course.

I'm always sceptical of such 'facts', as errors and biasisim exists in all data sets, does sentencing people truly solve complex social issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Apart from what you have said being really dumb. We need knives, it helps everyone's life. :)

I'm always sceptical of such 'facts', as errors and biasisim exists in all data sets, does sentencing people truly solve complex social issues?

Enough trolling ya as I have to ask.

What do you think we should do with a 24 year old with previous convictions who stabs a lad on a night out?

work wrote:
    where is the evidence? Is it just you Ted

To be fair, you probably would find data to support these opinions, but are we misunderstanding and misinterpreting these 'facts'?

Reati wrote:
    What do you think we should do with a 24 year old with previous convictions who stabs a lad on a night out?

Criminality and it's root causes is actually very complex, I'd highly recommend conversations with those that have actually committed crimes and particularly, done time, I'd also recommend talking to the professionals that have to deal with them.

Criminality and it's root causes is actually very complex, I'd highly recommend conversations with those that have actually committed crimes and particularly, done time, I'd also recommend talking to the professionals that have to deal with them.

I've 3 mates who are prison guards. An uncle who did 10 years and 2 uncles and a cousin in the gaurds. Think I'm covered there...

You didn't answer the question. Given the reoffend rate in Ireland is between 30 and 60 percent depending on crime I want to know how you would deal with the example crime.

Here is a real example if ambiguity isn't your thing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/waterford-stabbing-teen-17-arrested-in-murder-inquiry-1.3576980?mode=amp

Reati wrote:
    I've 3 mates who are prison guards. An uncle who did 10 years and 2 uncles and a cousin in the gaurds. Think I'm covered there...

That's great to hear, I might pick some information from your brain if that's ok? I do suspect some traditional elements of law enforcement have poor information or possibly misinformation on the root causes of crime, maybe you can prove me wrong here, I would be coming from a more psychological perspective on such matters.

From my own research, I have found that some of the most common issues criminals have are complex mental health issues, complex learning disabilities, complex personality disorders, complex development disorders etc etc etc, some of which I have myself, so I can speak from personal experience here.

Our most critical social institutions such as our educational system, health care system, legal system etc etc, fail to adequately deal with these complex issues, and in many cases, exasperates them. Many individuals who suffer with such issues 'fall through the cracks' so to speak, and in fact end up within our legal system, in what I describe as an 'out of sight, out of mind' approach to dealing with such issues, i.e. we d rather not deal with such issues, as they're simply too complicated and too expensive to truly do a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I like the teapot idea. The good thing about teapots is that after you stab them with the spout you can leave it in and the blood will collect in the pot, which is handy for a) keeping the crime scene tidy b) if you're one of those people who likes to drink the blood of their enemies.
    myshirt wrote: »
    If you ban knives from schools, how are the kids supposed to peel their orange at lunchtime? Do you suggest we ban oranges from the school lunchbox next is it?

Why don't you just come out of the long grass and say it straight out. You don't like Oranges, do you?
    Who peels an orange with a knife? THat's what we have thumbs for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/12/section/9/enacted/en/html#sec9

Already done, op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ban crime or ban bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Would banning/licensing knives have any effect?

Look at prisons- they still manage to get their stabby stabby on , with a ban and in a controlled space. So how would that work in an uncontrolled space where anyone with a piece of metal and a stone can make one,nevermind with access to even basic powertools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I always have a knife with me & the Guards say that I am fine, providing I have a legitimate reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Would banning/licensing knives have any effect?

Look at prisons- they still manage to get their stabby stabby on , with a ban and in a controlled space. So how would that work in an uncontrolled space where anyone with a piece of metal and a stone can make one,nevermind with access to even basic powertools

They still have to get their macgyver on to a degree most people cant be bothered but knives too readily available as a basic utensil and can bring out the freak in people all to easy

can be more intimidating to be confronted with than even a gun, laceration by sharp metal plungey thing is a particularly scary prospect. The depraved animals that upload their accomplishments from South America in particular often take it further with a carvery but the problem is their depths know no bounds and they’ll resort to anything even a broken plate. A lot of cultures do like a chop suey with a machete too ~ I’d get rid of production of metal blades for consumer use personally but good luck decommissioning them from circulation......

Discodog wrote: »
    I always have a knife with me & the Guards say that I am fine, providing I have a legitimate reason.

Which is?

Which is?

I have a large sheath knife when I am working & I always have a leatherman. The Guards saw the large knife, when I was in Tesco & told me it's fine as "long as you don't wear down shop street on a Saturday night".

The favoured knife for criminals is the Stanley knife.

I have a large sheath knife when I am working & I always have a leatherman. The Guards saw the large knife, when I was in Tesco & told me it's fine as "long as you don't wear down shop street on a Saturday night".

The favoured knife for criminals is the Stanley knife.

That's all well and good until you meet a Garda who doesn't say that.

Everything should need a licence and be signed off by superintendent. It's easy to slaughter with a knife but not as easy with a teapot.

Unless you are the Riddick.

Never really been one for banning all and sundry meself. Just need some maturity and rationality about licensing and education really.

For over a year now I have been teaching my 7 year old daughter to fire Rifles for example. Been perfectly fine. Will likely continue to be perfectly fine.

That's all well and good until you meet a Garda who doesn't say that.

I am sure that I will be fine :rolleyes:

37dkn.jpg

I am sure that I will be fine :rolleyes:

37dkn.jpg

Not sure what that picture is supposed to show. I'm fully sure that there are a lot of Gardaí that would charge you with that if they saw you carrying it around.

Not sure what that picture is supposed to show. I'm fully sure that there are a lot of Gardahat would charge you with that if they saw you carrying it around.

It's actually a gardening knife & the Guards have no problem because that's all I use it for. It was the same when I was living in the UK.

It's actually a gardening knife & the Guards have no problem because that's all I use it for. It was the same when I was living in the UK.

Do you do much gardening down in Tesco?

Do you do much gardening down in Tesco?

Yes I use it to trim the vegetables :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement