Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mare's Tail spreading this year

Options
  • 28-07-2018 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is it just me or is Mare's tail taking over? I'm seeing it everywhere this summer. Suddenly in far more hedgerows and fields than I have seen it before. A few years ago ragwort was the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

prokofiev wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Mare's tail taking over? I'm seeing it everywhere this summer. Suddenly in far more hedgerows and fields than I have seen it before. A few years ago ragwort was the same.

Its just taken advantage of the drought. Its roots go down much much deeper than other plants so it out competes them when the surface dries out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

It spreads every year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

blackbox wrote: »
    It spreads every year!

Well no not really. Not in the way say docks or thistles spread.

Its a strange weed in that it doesn't spread that much. It is spread easily if you move topsoil with its roots in it but that's hardly an evolutionary trait that plants use for spreading. I've had patches of it growing in the same spot for years and never found that its spread at all although like any plant clumps of it do get bigger each year.

Let a few docks seed in a flower bed and you'll get a lot more docks but with mares tail it won't spread around the garden unless you spread it.

Advertisement