Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 euro stamp duty

Options
  • 28-07-2018 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    I am wondering if any of you knows why are we charged 30 euro stamp duty fot our 'luxury' credit cards. I guess there is about 1 milion people owning credit card in Ireland. That's 300 milion euro yearly, what do they do with this money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Check your sums there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 velvena

muletide wrote: »
    Check your sums there
    uhmm.. what do you meaan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

velvena wrote: »
    uhmm.. what do you meaan?

You've got a surplus 0 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It used to be €40. Brian Cowen reduced it in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi velvena,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

The €30 stamp duty is a government charge and we’re obliged to collect this on their behalf. You can find more information on the Revenue website here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/stamp-duty/other-stamp-duty/financial-cards/index.aspx

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

These card taxes were used to replace the stamp duty on cheques when the volume of cheques declined. When governments get revenue they don't like to give it up, because people are used to it and if they tax something else then people whine about that. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

These card taxes were used to replace the stamp duty on cheques when the volume of cheques declined. When governments get revenue they don't like to give it up, because people are used to it and if they tax something else then people whine about that. 

Technically they did tax something else. I do think it should be changed like the debit card charges. I wouldn't envisage them losing that much money.

Advertisement