Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air Display 2018

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

xper wrote: »
    Not.
    So after their two appearances at Bray, we've yet to see their full display.

That's one thing we were lucky to see at Salthill all of their six displays were the full ones which are quite spectacular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That's one thing we were lucky to see at Salthill all of their six displays were the full ones which are quite spectacular
    And I assumed the west coast was even cloudier! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

xper wrote: »
    Not.

Beforehand, Red 10 on commentary was confidently saying it would be the full display but then said as they were on approach that Red 1 would make a late decision as they arrived and assessed the local conditions. Unfortunately, teh cloud cover closed in a little more just to coincide with their slot - the Viggen immediately before them had been able to loop to 6,000 ft.

So the first half of the display (the 9-aircraft formations) was the rolling display and then the second half when they split up was the completely flat display as conditions worsened a little more.

So after their two appearances at Bray, we've yet to see their full display.

The routine changes every year. I think they have 4 that rotate and then there are bad weather routines.

I didn't bother going when I looked at the weather but anyone that was there or has footage of the arrows can compare what they did to this https://www.raf.mod.uk/display-teams/red-arrows/displays/ and work out if it was a full or partial routine.

Here is a link to the Red Arrows display at Salthill in 2004, lucky that the cloud height allowed a full display. You can compare todays display with older displays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLKnbzlskg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

They definitely didn't do the heart routine as seen in link above

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    They definitely didn't do the heart routine as seen in link above

The heart display is only used for the high level display so it must have been a low level one, its pretty spectacular and the announcer says to the crowd "The Red Arrows love you" as they do it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The heart display is only used for the high level display so it must have been a low level one, its pretty spectacular and the announcer says to the crowd "The Red Arrows love you" as they do it.

Ah I see. Still a great show anyway. The gf and I had a great time laying down on the bray stone beach. We left during the next performance to get the dart before the crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MarkY91 wrote: »
    The gf and I had a great time laying down on the bray stone beach.
    Had to move about 3 times due to idiots deciding it'd be a great idea to come onto the beach, and stand in front of people who were already sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

The Falcons on Saturday were a mess, thought there was going to be a fireball twice during their display. Looked to be down to one pilot's errors. Saw them last year and they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Alun wrote: »
    Had to move about 3 times due to idiots deciding it'd be a great idea to come onto the beach, and stand in front of people who were already sitting down.

That and it seems every year I sit beside an armchair 'expert' that wants everyone on the beach to hear his knowledge of the aircraft involved :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

jimbis wrote: »
    That and it seems every year I sit beside an armchair 'expert' that wants everyone on the beach to hear his knowledge of the aircraft involved :rolleyes:

yea, had that this year, no harm though.

Happened to me too with a couple who stood up during some of the red arrow display but they left before the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

jimbis wrote: »
    Or the one who is only interested in a few items and rants about how everything else isn't that great and generally sucking the joy from the occasion. The look on his face when the half dozen of us shuffled a few yards thataway in unison beyond earshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

tricky D wrote: »
    Or the one who is only interested in a few items and rants about how everything else isn't that great and generally sucking the joy from the occasion. The look on his face when the half dozen of us shuffled a few yards thataway in unison beyond earshot.

WAS THAT YOU!!!!!!!!! I was very offended as people love hearing my knowledge.(joke) :D

That's very funny though. I had similar near me last year but this year it was just standers in front of me. Oh a father with 5 little ****s throwing rocks and screaming at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it makes you wonder why some people even bother going, the lack of interest they show in what's happening. Kids with their heads buried in their phones, throwing stones in the sea, walking along the beach chatting all while displays like the Red Arrows or the Viggen were going on. Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, it makes you wonder why some people even bother going, the lack of interest they show in what's happening. Kids with their heads buried in their phones, throwing stones in the sea, walking along the beach chatting all while displays like the Red Arrows or the Viggen were going on. Baffling.

Dads.

Advertisement