Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi Grant Question

• 28-07-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, I've a question. (As you can tell) I've been awarded a grant with monthly payments base on distance from my college (74km) My parents want me to move out of the house by the end of August. Will this affect my grant? I plan to move in with my girlfriend which will make the total travel distance 66km but in reach of public transport. Will I still be eligible to receive said monthly payments? Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

https://susi.ie/undergraduate-income-threshold-and-grant-award-rates/

The nonadjacent rate is 45km so at 66km you are still outside this.
    Even if you were closer a lot of students move into accommodation near college but receive non adjacent rate because their home address is further away than student accommodation.

However if this is a permanent move it might affect you next year, as grant is based on parents earnings and your holiday earnings, unless you're a mature student/non dependant applicant?

Something to look into maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ash2221

Lackey wrote: »

The nonadjacent rate is 45km so at 66km you are still outside this.
    Even if you were closer a lot of students move into accommodation near college but receive non adjacent rate because their home address is further away than student accommodation.

However if this is a permanent move it might affect you next year, as grant is based on parents earnings and your holiday earnings, unless you're a mature student/non dependant applicant?

Something to look into maybe.

Thanks mate, but those students who move closer to college, does that not affect the grant no? As they don't have to commute much. I got a fairly high monthly payment grant which I'm happy about because my parents wouldn't be able to sustain me at all. I'd move closer but I'm afraid the grant might get cancelled then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Ash2221 wrote: »
    Thanks mate, but those students who move closer to college, does that not affect the grant no? As they don't have to commute much. I got a fairly high monthly payment grant which I'm happy about because my parents wouldn't be able to sustain me at all. I'd move closer but I'm afraid the grant might get cancelled then.

Once you are using your parents address you’ll be fine. The grant is to help you have accommodation nearer the college. My nephew received the non-adjacent rates also extra as his mother’s income is under a certain amount, he stays in digs close to the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Forever21 wrote: »
    Once you are using your parents address you’ll be fine. The grant is to help you have accommodation nearer the college. My nephew received the non-adjacent rates also extra as his mother’s income is under a certain amount, he stays in digs close to the college.

+1 on this, My son did the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Ash2221 wrote: »

you got the higher rate of grant to help pay accommodation costs or travel costs and cost of living.

IT WILL NOT affect your grant if you take digs/on campus accommodation at college because they are giving you this money to facilitate you to do exactly this.

Your primary residence will still be your parents house not your on campus/ rented digs so don't worry good luck and enjoy college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement