Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derren Brown highlighting how strong social conformity is

• 28-07-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/keBh_LK5Ha4

Simple but really eye-opening experiment as to how strong social conformity is.

Stuff like this and variations (bystander effect etc) has obviously been well demonstrated elsewhere (Zimbardo, Milgram experiment, Kitty Genovese etc) but it's still amazing to see.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Clicking the link also proves social conformity I guess.

/Doesn't click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool video bro

https://youtu.be/keBh_LK5Ha4

Simple but really eye-opening experiment as to how strong social conformity is.

Stuff like this and variations (bystander effect etc) has obviously been well demonstrated elsewhere (Zimbardo, Milgram experiment, Kitty Genovese etc) but it's still amazing to see.

Think I can guess what the video is without even clicking it. He is reproducing a well known experiment. The Red Tube show "Mindfield" did a repeat of the same experiment too. The results are pretty consistent - most people follow it.

There was another experiment on superstition he did too which was funnier. And it included the actor who played Doctor Who recently. Name escapes me. Anyway basically they had to play a game with lots of objects where they get points. But they got the points randomly. They did not know that. So they were forming some of the most comical theories on how and why they could get points. Was pretty gas. And none of the players noticed a sign that said "To win the game - just open the door and leave" in big writing over their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Meh I consciously and deliberately observe and imitate group behaviours in unfamiliar situations, especially in formal settings. Takes people longer to decide I'm odd that way.

Advertisement