Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest X Yale Smart Door Lock

• 28-07-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before (I didn't see it from my search specific to this)

Came across the Nest X Yale on Youtube earlier. Looks like an interesting product though it probably won't appeal to everyone (Due to being a bit pricey) but I can see some practical usefulness and it look quite well thought out sleek design.

Examples:
    - If you go out jogging and didn't want to carry keys
    - Get notification when the door is open/close (i.e. if you know that no one else in the house is to be at home at certain times and it opens, something must be wrong)
    - Letting people (Family or friends, etc) into the house with temporary passcode while you are still away (i.e. if your friend arrive at your place before you get home)

It runs on battery which the app will notify you when low, it has privacy mode that prevent passcode entry when activated, best of all no subscription.

What do you guys think in terms of designs, practicality, usefulness?

Unfortunately it is only available in US and Canada for now.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The problem you might run into with this, is that most locks can be different in UK/Ireland from the US, so this might not work.

Yale already has two other smart locks (not Nest) aimed at the UK/Ireland market.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Conexis-Smart-Door-Lock/dp/B01N78HJKV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532783918&sr=8-3&keywords=yale+smart+lock
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Keyless-Connected-Ready-Smart/dp/B01DE4DFM8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532783918&sr=8-4&keywords=yale+smart+lock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭lau1247

Yeah, the whole nest eco system integration would be nice alright, everything from one app.

So far from what I have looked into, everything looks to be ok fit wise. Maybe European door thickness may be different, that is about it.. bar from that everything from the kit looks straight forward.

The Conexis L1 looks interesting, I'll take a deeper gander at those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

lau1247 wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole nest eco system integration would be nice alright, everything from one app.

So far from what I have looked into, everything looks to be ok fit wise. Maybe European door thickness may be different, that is about it.. bar from that everything from the kit looks straight forward

I'm heavily invested with nest so this really appeals to me. I'm going to the states in November and wondering would the lock purchased there work over here? Any issues anyone know of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭lau1247

jones wrote: »
    I'm heavily invested with nest so this really appeals to me. I'm going to the states in November and wondering would the lock purchased there work over here? Any issues anyone know of?

From the look of it, I don't believe there will be an issue so long as your door thickness is with what they specify and the door lock profile (hole) can be accommodated on your door, it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Would the Nest X Yale work with a 3 point locking system... The type you get on a modern door?

• Advertisement
Advertisement