Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covered window in the built in wardrobes

• 28-07-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

We reached sale agreed on an old house and were trying to do a draft floor ourselves. While doing so, we found out that there was a Window was actually covered and built in wardrobes were made for two rooms left and right at the end of the corridor opposite each other. The wardrobes are spacious and deep. I don’t have the exact dimension yet.

I really like to have the window re-opened. I’m thinkkng maybe we can make a bathroom / showeroom as an ensuite for the main bedroom using the space, as there is only one shower room at the far end.

How much would it cost? Under the two bedrooms is the main hall of the house so I guess the pipes are far.

Or do you have any ideas to use the space?

There is also a box room without window (2mx3.7m) that we were thinking to convert into a bathroom. It’s just right next to the main room so we were thinkkng to make it an ensuite shower room. Now with the discovery, we think we can change the box room into walk in closet.

The box room is a bit closer to the shower room.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can probably spend anything from €50 to €2,000 for a wash basin. Find out how much you want to spend on fittings & tiling and add €3,000-€5,000 to get an idea of how much it will cost.

If the wardrobes are the only separation between the rooms, I'm not sure I would be happy with that.

Depending on the age of the house, you will likely have to spend money on insulation, windows, damp proofing, rot treatment, plumbing & heating and electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

The house is quite well maintained from the look. But we are still waiting for the report from surveyor. We will need to do the windows as they are single glazed. For the window we are looking into secondary glazing instead of double glazing. Will compare prices. And of course some other things. But we will do it gradually. The first two things we wanna do are the window insulation and the conversion a room to bathroom assuming there is no other major urgent issues (or if it’s too much we are ready to withdraw).

Not sure about whether the wardrobes is the only separation between rooms. Will need to check. If we are converting that space into a bathroom then it’s not a big problem.

Advertisement