Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes: Induction?

Options
  • 28-07-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all!

Have a question about gestational diabetes!

I'm attending OLOL. Was diagnosed a few weeks ago and so far just diet controlled, it's going well and apart from a few random results the blood sugars are staying in the right range (tough going staying off the chocolate though!)

I've had one scan and baby was measuring well despite the gd, have another on Tuesday at 32 weeks and will have another at 36 weeks.

Was at an antenatal class today and was talking to the instructor about the condition. She just assumed I would be induced at 38 weeks. I was a bit shocked to hear that because nothing has ever been mentioned about that. I was told they don't let you go past 40+4 but I hadn't heard they would definitely induce you. I was induced with my first and it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me so was hoping to avoid that.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience or gd and were you induced? What were the reason given for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Finner wrote: »
    Hi all!

Have a question about gestational diabetes!

I'm attending OLOL. Was diagnosed a few weeks ago and so far just diet controlled, it's going well and apart from a few random results the blood sugars are staying in the right range (tough going staying off the chocolate though!)

I've had one scan and baby was measuring well despite the gd, have another on Tuesday at 32 weeks and will have another at 36 weeks.

Was at an antenatal class today and was talking to the instructor about the condition. She just assumed I would be induced at 38 weeks. I was a bit shocked to hear that because nothing has ever been mentioned about that. I was told they don't let you go past 40+4 but I hadn't heard they would definitely induce you. I was induced with my first and it wasn't a very pleasant experience for me so was hoping to avoid that.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience or gd and were you induced? What were the reason given for it?

I had diet controlled gd and a previous c section and they were OK to leave me til 41weeks but I did end up with a section at 40+4 due to a different reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You are under no obligation to undergo an induction. Ask them to outline BRAIN-Benefits, Risks, Alternatives, Instincts and Nothing. Not using a doula myself but this link is useful:
    http://www.northeastdoulas.com/blog/brain-use-it
    I only realised on my second pregnancy how often pregnant women are treated as though they can have things done to them, as happened in your antenatal class, instead of adults who can make their own decisions in consultation with rather than being dictated to by medical staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 smr85

They wanted to induce me at 38+6 due to a big baby, then 39+6 due to GD. They kept moving the goal posts. I asked to see the head consultant at my last appointment and I've now been told that due to exceptionally good glucose levels (they think I might not actually have GD now) and the baby not being that big I'll be left go to 40+10 before induction is mentioned again. Currently 39+4, speak up and keep asking questions, just be mindful of your glucose levels in the upcoming weeks as weeks 32-36 are apparently the tricky weeks and things can go a bit haywire due to hormones. My guy was measuring off the charts at 30 weeks but had come into normal ranges by week 36, it's a guessing game really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Gonna throw in here...I didn't have GD and had a 10lb6oz baby (3rd) despite having been told all along it would be 8-8.5lb.My second was 8lb1oz.
    Speak up as the others say, and don't just take it for granted that you have to do what their 'policy' dictates.Measurements can be somewhat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

I think I'm quite glad now that the midwife in the class said that to me because I'll be more prepared when it comes to it if they just spring it on me and be better able to ask them to give me a legit reason for doing it. I was borderline after the GTT and my scores have been pretty good since so fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up smr85! I'm being good about my portions and what I eat anyway but I'll be extra careful the next few weeks! I'm also coeliac so have to avoid gluten so that's an added complication when it comes to pasta and bread, it depends on the brand how much carb is in the product - I know I'm the best dinner guest ever pregnant coeliac diabetic!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

I was diagnosed with GD at 36 weeks & was diet controlled. My GP said I didn't have it, seems like I failed the fasting test slightly but my bloods were perfect each time I tested. They also said he was a big baby so put me down for induction at 39+2. Im a FTM so was none the wiser nut if I'd known how hard induction was I would have pushed back, I had the added complications of being on innohep so induction meant I could get an epidural. If you don't want it push back for sure, good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

My understanding of it is that if your blood sugars are stable and through diet / diet and medication they are being managed, then there is no need for intervention. I think they only reason nothing has been said to you as it's too early to know how your pregnancy will go towards the end, more time and information will be needed. Extra scans will be done to check your baby's growth, the amount of water surrounding the baby etc. as part of these ongoing checks. It is all dependant on how you're both doing.

The hospital don't want to have to intervene early, it depends entirely on yours and baby's progression. I have GD this pregnancy and my previous one. Im insulin dependent but I managed it through to the end last time. Due to previous history I have to have C-sections, so I had my LO at 39+1 because of the necessary C-section, not related to the GD at all.

Advertisement