Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord / Tenant Dispute PTRB - Got to court or not ?

Options
  • 28-07-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I am invlovedin in PRT dispute with landlord. Illegal Evication, Witholding Deposit (€550), Breach of Obligations and charging more than market rate.

He has offered €3000 to settle out of court. I think it's a pretty clear cut which will be favoured in my side. landord threaten me by saying his solicitor reckons I won't get much more than that , and If I am awarded it could take some years to actually get the cash via court system.

What you reckons ,take the quick pay off or got to courts on hope of a bigger pay off. Anybody been through a similar experience ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

barryshock wrote: »
    Hi

I am invlovedin in PRT dispute with landlord. Illegal Evication, Witholding Deposit (€550), Breach of Obligations and charging more than market rate.

He has offered €3000 to settle out of court. I think it's a pretty clear cut which will be favoured in my side. landord threaten me by saying his solicitor reckons I won't get much more than that , and If I am awarded it could take some years to actually get the cash via court system.

What you reckons ,take the quick pay off or got to courts on hope of a bigger pay off. Anybody been through a similar experience ?

Cheers.

Are you out of pocket by more than €3k or are you looking for damages as well?
    Have you found a new place yet?
    It’s really only €2.5k if he has already withheld your €550 deposit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You are taking legal advice from a landlord who has carried out an illegal eviction? The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Obviously he also thinks it's clear cut. I think you should go to court. Not so much for yourself but for other tenants who may fall foul of his tactics.

Obviously he also thinks it's clear cut. I think you should go to court. Not so much for yourself but for other tenants who may fall foul of his tactics.
    The o/p is not in court. He is before the RTB.They are very mean with unlawful evictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

I would be careful of dealing with him and accepting an offer if he has already acted illegally.

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 barryshock

From speaking to him, I am getting that feeling that if the rtb rule in my favour, he will refuse to pay. I'm thinking this could drag out. That's the vibe I'm getting. What real powers do the RTB have to enforce the rulings. That's mostly what I'm concerned with....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

barryshock wrote: »
    From speaking to him, I am getting that feeling that if the rtb rule in my favour, he will refuse to pay. I'm thinking this could drag out. That's the vibe I'm getting. What real powers do the RTB have to enforce the rulings. That's mostly what I'm concerned with....

After the RTB you go to court to get a determination order. Since he owns the house, he has something to loose so more than likely will pay out. It may take time as the legal system is slow but you should eventually get it when your trying to get money from a ll. As others have said I would be careful about taking money off him outside of court.

Fol20 wrote: »
    After the RTB you go to court to get a determination order. Since he owns the house, he has something to loose so more than likely will pay out. It may take time as the legal system is slow but you should eventually get it when your trying to get money from a ll. As others have said I would be careful about taking money off him outside of court.

You get a Determination Order from the RTb. After they you go to court to get it enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HappySerious

Sometimes the RTB will take the case to court for you but they have an extremely limited budget for this so only do it a few times a year. The RTB will give you the determination order and try to enforce by talking to landlord but if he refuses you might have to take it to court yourself. How much money are you owed?

Advertisement