Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you fall asleep easily?

• 28-07-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

So AH folks, tell me, do you fall asleep easily?

I could fall asleep up on a rock. I think it's a combination of age, medication I'm on and general tiredness.
    Most recently, I fell asleep while getting gel nails done, the lady was chiselling away at my nails and I fell asleep.

What about you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've often said that if I could make a living from sleeping, I'd be a millionaire.

Have slept for 36 hours straight once (never again! nearly needed counselling after it), fell asleep standing up once, and am like a baby doll - if I lie down I'll fall asleep.

I LOVE sleeping!

Unfortunately the older I get, the less my back is able to cope with long lie-ins, which is a source of great distress to me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. It takes me a good twenty minutes to half an hour to fall asleep and then I'm a very light sleeper, with the slightest noise, or even a light coming on, wakening me. Mrs S, who falls asleep in less than two minutes, says I can hear the grass grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Some nights are easier than others, often I find that..... Zzzzzz

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sorry, what did you say, I dozed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If I'm at work or otherwise mentally stimulated during the day, I find it easier, especially with a rainfall app on my phone playing in the background while I'm in bed :) sometimes it's harder, like at weekends or holidays when my mind is more relaxed. I don't find myself as tired when I get into bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I always found it difficult to fall asleep. With one exception - I used to fall asleep really quickly in Br. Murphy's office back in the Christian Brother's school. Not sure why. And that special vitamin drink he used to give me when I would be called in must have been powerful stuff. Always ended up with a sore arse after every time I drank it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

90% of the time I find it very easy because I'm usually fairly wrecked as I get up early. I do have to wear earplugs though. Find it very hard to sleep without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭monster1

Takes me a long time, damn restless legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I find it very hard to stay awake as a passenger in a car or public transport, I end up doubled over until I jolt up when there's a sudden stop. I'm a pretty deep sleeper at home, I can't really lie in past nine though for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I actually resent people who could sleep anywhere anytime. I get about 4 hours sleeping a bad night , maybe 6 on a good one. Flew to New Zealand last Xmas, 48 hours without sleep. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

No. It takes me a good twenty minutes to half an hour to fall asleep and then I'm a very light sleeper, with the slightest noise, or even a light coming on, wakening me. Mrs S, who falls asleep in less than two minutes, says I can hear the grass grow.

20 mins isn't a long time. It usually takes me 2 to 3 hours to fall asleep, sometimes even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I was always the person who could sleep anywhere, and for as long as I'd be let. Unfortunately for some reason in the last two years that's gone out the window, to the point where I now often rely on sleep aids to get my 8 hours after a couple of weeks of averaging 3hours a night.

Would love to know what changed and how I can change it back!!

Seanachai wrote: »
    I find it very hard to stay awake as a passenger in a car or public transport, I end up doubled over until I jolt up when there's a sudden stop. I'm a pretty deep sleeper at home, I can't really lie in past nine though for some reason.

Because you've slept enough.. More sleep than's needed isn't better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Generally no. Takes me about an hour or more to fall asleep most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Because you've slept enough.. More sleep than's needed isn't better.

I don't go to bed until 12 - 12.30 though, even on weekdays, I'm up at 6 am most days. I have friends that could easily sleep until 1pm on a Saturday, I find that it varies a lot with people. The best sleep I get is prob on a Sat or Sun afternoon on a couch.

Irish workers used to take a type of siesta in the middle of the day during summer work on farms.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Yes, when loaded with drink.

Also, I fell asleep once after a hot towel shave. Wet towel was put over my face, and I conked. Ultimate stress buster for me, it was heavenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Sometimes,other times the brain kicks into overdrive,I'll find myself thinking of things I should have done or said

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

I always found it difficult to fall asleep. With one exception - I used to fall asleep really quickly in Br. Murphy's office back in the Christian Brother's school. Not sure why. And that special vitamin drink he used to give me when I would be called in must have been powerful stuff. Always ended up with a sore arse after every time I drank it

You are painfully unfunny. I cringe every time I read your posts man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm fairly good once I am in my own bed. The only time I'd have issues with sleeping really is if I had no screen time before bed.

Before I had a kid - no.
    Now - zzzzzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

We don't help ourselves by using phones and other devices right up until we fall asleep, the blue light from these screens doesn't promote sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

When I'm lying down it takes me about 5 minutes to fall asleep. Can't sleep any other way though. Long flights are torturous. I definitely fall asleep quicker since I had a kid and don't get lovely long lie ins anymore. I used to stay in bed until the afternoon. Love sleeping, don't understand why babies and kids fight it so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Freaklishly easy. It's weird and I don't know why but someti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Ever since my first child was born I can sleep at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Usually go to bed between 12 and 1 and asleep in minutes.

If I go to bed early I’m awake all night.

I’d be awake and up at 5 or 6 every day no matter what time i go to bed..

So I get the best of both worlds. Peace in the morning before they all get up and peace again later when they all go to bed.

I do find I nap a lot more now as I get older but I really enjoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Every night I watch/listen to about dark matter, neutron stars, gravitational waves, gravetars etc and without fail I'm gone. Fascintaing until my brain peaks and powers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭tara73

falling asleep easily, but I'm a very light sleeper and extremely noise sensitive. couldn't sleep without earplugs. It's a pain in the a***, would give a lot to change this but not possible, was like this from a child.

difficulties to fall asleep when stress at work. I could be completely knackered, fall asleep for a few seconds but then wake up again with kind of a fright and are wide awake and couldn't fall back asleep for hours. torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Actually one thing that keeps me awake is I'd if z
    I don't have the washing up done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't have any issue getting to sleep most nights but staying asleep is the problem. I wake up incredibly easily and often do wake up for no apparent reason.

Also wake around 6 or 7 every morning, no matter what time I go to bed, so late nights kill me even if there's no drink involved.

I've started going to bed at 10pm most nights just to make sure I get at least 6 hours sleep a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Freaklishly easy. It's weird and I don't know why but someti

I'm wasted on you's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

erica74 wrote: »
    So AH folks, tell me, do you fall asleep easily?

I could fall asleep up on a rock. I think it's a combination of age, medication I'm on and general tiredness.
    Most recently, I fell asleep while getting gel nails done, the lady was chiselling away at my nails and I fell asleep.

What about you?

Fcuk no, I'm 54 and could spend an hour in bed before I fall asleep and I get out of bed at 6am and awake between 4am to 5am with the clock snoozing from 5 am. You could fall asleep from doing nothing I think that's your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Yes, yes I .......ZZZZZZZZZ

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hours to get to sleep, slightest thing will wake me, even my own brain tripping away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I fell asleep once in the dentists chair while having a routine check up.
    I had been sitting in the waiting room with the sun blasting in and had come from work so those are my excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I am asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, some nights I am dozing on the sofa watching TV before going up to bed. I can never stay asleep though, I wake multiple times every night. Some nights I wake around 3am and could still be awake at 5. Absolutely wrecked then when it is time to get up. The doctor prescribed melatonin for me , took it twice and felt like I had a hangover the next day :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

I love a nap, just had one this evening.

I make sure to get 7 to 8 hours every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    ...fell asleep standing up once, and am like a baby doll - if I lie down I'll fall asleep.

OMG.... I am the same! Fell asleep standing at a bus stop once. The old lady beside me nudged me to wake me up when the bus arrived.

The OH on the other hand is a terrible sleeper. Takes hours to fall asleep and then a light sleeper. Slightest noise or smallest light wakes her. Has to paint over or tape up the little led on phone rechargers, sockets, and anything electrical like that.

Sometimes I think you can make yourself sensitive to these things.

Did read once that we all need different amounts of sleep, and to find your number pick a day you dont have to get up and just sleep until you get restless. Mine is 9 hours. Thats when I am let by Mrs Rider. On a work day I get about 6 hrs. Just cant seem to get an early night. Always seems like a waste to go to bed early...will catch up on next day off, I promise (myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Neames wrote: »
    I love a nap, just had one this evening.

I make sure to get 7 to 8 hours every night.

Naps are pure bliss. It's a fine art, though - too short and it's no good, too long and I'm like a bag of cats for the rest of the day/evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

TG1 wrote: »

Would love to know what changed and how I can change it back!!

Have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I have lots of trouble getting to sleep. A good night would be within 1-2 hours of going to bed, an average night 3-4 hours and a bad night no sleep at all or falling a sleep 1 hour before I need to be up.

Been that way all my life and every now and again I'll sleep for about 24 hours in some catching up on sleep phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think some of you have narcolepsy!

I never worry about sleeping. I usually nod off within half an hour, but sometimes I can be awake for ages tossing and turning. I just say to myself, you'll be fine tomorrow no matter what and will make it up tomorrow night. Then zzzzz happens!

A brilliant thing is magnesium spray on your arms/legs. Quickly absorbed and does help the zzzzs and leg cramps if you get them.

VERY occasionally I wake up say 3 am and nothing is happening, downstairs for a glass of milk and a bikkie and I'm gone. Low blood sugar I'd say. But it works for me.

Main thing is not to worry about the odd night of bad sleeping. We all get that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Pre MS, out like a light at any stage . Now it depends on pain/ muscle spasms/ambient temperature/bladder and bowel /:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

I could go to bed and be online or watch a movie for an hour or two.. not the last year or so - go to bed and nodding off after a few minutes on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Working shift work this can be quite hard especially switching back to days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Love sleep, could do 10 hours a day. Getting to sleep is easy, close my eyes. Need about 9 per day. Heavy sleeper, you could dance on top of me and I wouldn't wake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Fcuk no, I'm 54 and could spend an hour in bed before I fall asleep and I get out of bed at 6am and awake between 4am to 5am with the clock snoozing from 5 am. You could fall asleep from doing nothing I think that's your problem.

What:confused:

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Working shift work this can be quite hard especially switching back to days
    My heart bleeds for you, try working 5am-7pm 365 then come back to me and say you have it tough.

erica74 wrote: »
    What:confused:

You're not obviously used to working hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You're not obviously used to working hard.

Ah yeah, that must be it, thanks for explaining:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement