Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you fall asleep easily?

2»

Comments

Usually I do but now and then will have nights where it's a real struggle. I just get up then. There's no point lying there wishing and hoping for sleep to come in fact it's often counter-productive. Once I'm asleep then I'll wake up once around 5/6 am and then back I go again.

I feel tired alot. It's something I'm trying to work on. It's not medical as that's been checked out. Sometimes I think it's an emotional tiredness. This is especially the case if I haven't had much time to myself in a few days. Certain people can tire me out as well. Their energy zaps mine. Ages ago I was in the company of someone and she was really lovely but was talking non stop and a tiny bit all over the place. I was wrecked when I got home and slept for hours.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You're not obviously used to working hard.

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I fall asleep very easily, my problem is actually staying awake! I've fallen asleep at the cinema before and at the theatre. I can easily fall asleep in the car or on a train/plane. I can sleep with the light on and I don't wake easily. I have some serious health problems and I'm on a lot of medication so I think the illness and meds make me tired. The only problem I have is that with my chronic reflux and lung problems I can't lie down for too long or I'm fecked. Sleeping propped up/sitting up on the couch is a pain in the arse but a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

I don't work hard (mostly not a difficult job, and cushy hours of 9.30 to 6pm) and I find it really difficult to get to sleep at a reasonable hour at night so I contradict the theory.
    My heart bleeds for you, try working 5am-7pm 365 then come back to me and say you have it tough.
    Wow, where have you worked those hours every single day of the year without even Christmas day off? Farmer?
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Working shift work this can be quite hard especially switching back to days
    Aye, adjusting from all day to all night and vice versa quite frequently is tough on the brain - because you're actually pretty much jetlagging yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

TG1 wrote: »
    I was always the person who could sleep anywhere, and for as long as I'd be let. Unfortunately for some reason in the last two years that's gone out the window, to the point where I now often rely on sleep aids to get my 8 hours after a couple of weeks of averaging 3hours a night.

Would love to know what changed and how I can change it back!!

Age? Everything changes.. With pain etc I have no sleep pattern.. Matters less in some ways as I have no obligations etc, but lying awake is no fun so I put the light on, knit, read etc. Valerian is helping but hangover.. yawn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Usually I do but now and then will have nights where it's a real struggle. I just get up then. There's no point lying there wishing and hoping for sleep to come in fact it's often counter-productive. Once I'm asleep then I'll wake up once around 5/6 am and then back I go again.

I feel tired alot. It's something I'm trying to work on. It's not medical as that's been checked out. Sometimes I think it's an emotional tiredness. This is especially the case if I haven't had much time to myself in a few days. Certain people can tire me out as well. Their energy zaps mine. Ages ago I was in the company of someone and she was really lovely but was talking non stop and a tiny bit all over the place. I was wrecked when I got home and slept for hours.

I honestly think that worrying re not sleeping and chasing remedies does more harm than not sleeping.. So you and I do right to get busy and stop worrying.. I get too wired and tired on outdays but it is worth it! Oh my yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I find it hard to drop off peacefully due to nightmares
    I use a Spanish natural tab called dormadima
    It’s a strong anti histamine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I usually have to listen to some app with rain sounds or a podcast or something. I find it very hard to fall asleep in silence. Most nights I will wake during the night, sometimes I fall right back asleep and other nights I'll have to read a few chapters of my book to make myself sleepy again.

Every so often I go through phases that can last a few weeks, of falling asleep straight away but waking up like clockwork at 4am or some other God awful hour.

I also find it nearly impossible to sleep in a different bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

Takes me ages to fall asleep. On average, around an hour but once I’m asleep I’m out for the count.
    I generally sleep better during the day when I’m on night shifts (around 7 hours) than when I’m on days (5/6 hours).

I wish I could be one of those people who fall asleep before the head hits the pillow. It’s strange because if I’m napping, I fall asleep right away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Verity.

I need white noise in the room or I would hear a pin drop, very light sleeper. I would fall asleep quickly from sheer exhaustion (very busy every day), but if anything disturbs my sleep I could be awake for the rest of the night. On any given night I might get 2-3 hours sleep. On a night our baby sleeps through, maybe 4-5 hours, which is a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Brightness doesn't bother me but motion and noise do. I can't sleep in a moving car or plane or bus. I can't sleep with the TV or radio on or with people talking.

Takes about 20 mins to half hour to sleep even if I'm very tired. 6 hrs sleep would be my average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

My heart bleeds for you, try working 5am-7pm 365 then come back to me and say you have it tough.

Sure you only have to do it every four years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I see a joke in the joke thread that would be apt for this.

'whats the difference between hard and light?
    You can sleep with a light on'

So true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Sure you only have to do it every four years

So....... no one's going to mention that every year has 365 days then?

Leap years have 366.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Right now I could sleep on the back of a galloping hedgehog. My youngest still wakes every 2 hours at night. My eldest about twice every night. Given the chance I reckon I could fall asleep in .4 of a second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Hmm you know it's not legally possible to work that many days of the year. If it's cause your self employed then I don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

I don't fall asleep easily. My average is 3hrs sleep every night 7 days a week for years now and that's on a good night. 2hrs on a bad night. I'm a very bad sleeper and always have been. Weirdly though i'm still able to function alright every day on 3hrs sleep. The lack of sleep just doesn't seem to take it's toll on me for some reason.:rolleyes: I sometimes wonder if i was a bullfrog in a previous life:confused: Now the only times i get more than 3hrs is if i get completely and utterly bladdered the night before but even that is rare as i dont drink much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow and I usually sleep between 6-8 hours a night. And once I'm asleep that's it nothing can wake me but If I'm staying in a hotel I'll still fall asleep but will wake up at the slightest noise.

Advertisement