Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakes

Options
  • 28-07-2018 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a nice lake in Galway to go for a walk with small kids.

I know you can pull up to some lakes and just look at them and go for a tiny walk but maybe on rough terrain.

I’m more so on about a lake that you can park up and walk along the edge on a proper footpath with a park etc. Maybe a few benches to sit down.

Can also be a river
    Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Portumna forest Park.

Portumna is a class spot especially if you are looking for a good long stroll

Coole Park is another brilliant spot

If you are looking for a much shorter walk, the long point in Loughrea is good

The river Corrib is another nice spot for a longer walk with all of it along the river bank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

The river Corrib is another nice spot for a longer walk with all of it along the river bank

Thanks. Was at Coole Park and thought it was average. I’m looking from the point of view of purely a lake / along a river walk. Don’t want to be walking in a covered forest etc. Just a lake or river with a nice long walk along a decent path.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sounds like the long point in Loughrea is your man.

In regard to river Corrib. Can you bring a pram. Can you start around kingfisher and essentially walk to Glenlo abbey on a path along the rivers edge ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

how about the walk opposite Menlo castle? not sure how long it is.

I know Cong isn't in Galway but it's close. Nice walks by the lake there.

In regard to river Corrib. Can you bring a pram. Can you start around kingfisher and walk to Glenlo abbeybon a path slong the rivers edge ?

Yes and I'm almost 90% sure you can

dinneenp wrote: »
    how about the walk opposite Menlo castle? not sure how long it is.

I know Cong isn't in Galway but it's close. Nice walks by the lake there.

By opposite Menlo castle - do you mean to enter at NUIG sports grounds and walk on sports ground side of river ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

By opposite Menlo castle - do you mean to enter at NUIG sports grounds and walk on sports ground side of river ?

Ya, that's the place. Might be short walk, don't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

This time of year Coole Park lake is only like a pond.

When is does resemble a lake it's 20 meters plus away from the walkway at any given time.

• Advertisement

This time of year Coole Park lake is only like a pond.

When is does resemble a lake it's 20 meters plus away from the walkway at any given time.

You can get right down to the shoreline following the normal walkways

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

I would second Flazio's comment. This route along the east shore and part of the north shore of Loughrea lake is ~ 3km (in one direction). I doubt you will do better than this as children are catered for at both ends. Parking is available at both ends too. The Long Point and the Childrens' playground are both excellent. Part of the route requires going through a small section of the town (North eastern end of the lake where the lake will not be visible, but it is just five-ten minutes or so of the entire walk). The entire walk is paved. If you are coming from Galway city and think that it is too far away, well just take the M6 motorway and take the Loughrea exit (which has the Galway Plaza situated beside it - a heaven for the type of culinary delights that children like). Then run down to the town from there on a very good road (N65)- also, no tolls involved on the motorway section.

Loughrea%20Walk_zpsop4ysov6.png

Advertisement