Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leitrim

• 28-07-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭

According to this the population of Leitrim was 155,297 in 1841 :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Leitrim

Today it's only 31,972.

That's mad Ted.

If there is indeed broadband or dial-up available i'd like to ask a question of the natives. Wouldn't it be better to merge with a neighboring county and which would yeh prefer?

It's just it seems like there is no point to the county.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think the famine might have had a bit to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Today it's only 31,972.

That's mad Ted.

Nope, that's cannibalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Leitrim is great for making Cavan look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pecker Dunne had a great love for the county.

Himself and Mary lived there for a while in their caravan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Apropos of nothing.. the mental hospital in Sligo is known as.. The Leitrim Hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Leitrim is tiny so imagine the population density prior to the Famines (yes there was more than one in the 18th and 19th centuries but as census data didn't exist before 1821 the impact isn't recorded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Always heard there's only one set of traffic lights in leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

That was a lot to do with history that population. We are fine by ourself. We don't want to merge with anyone. It amazes me how small, pointless, forgotten about, insignificant (what ever other word you can think of to describe Leitrim) we are but yet people just love talking about us.

But, don't ye be worrying about us, we are doing just fine thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

My dad told me Leitrim is the garage on the way to galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Even in Leitrim, we laugh at Cavan.
    Always heard there's only one set of traffic lights in leitrim

Nah we took those out. Work of the devil those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Emigration was a feature of that region for a century and a half in fact Leitrim only showed a positive growth in population by the 2002 census after being in continual decline since famine times before that so it kind of puts the dire economic situation into perspective for that part of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I know the only gay in Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They don't have a Nandos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I puked in leitrim once on my way to Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The image below shows the effect of rural depopulation in the years after the famine especially in the border region and Leitrimr0nj8jy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Leitrim is tiny so imagine the population density prior to the Famines (yes there was more than one in the 18th and 19th centuries but as census data didn't exist before 1821 the impact isn't recorded)

Dublin is even tinier. How do all the people fit into such a small place?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Its so good Larry Cunningham a native of Longford Dreamt about it

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    Its so good Larry Cunningham a native of Longford Dreamt about it

Longford, Leitrim and Cavan all meet near where Larry was from. Not just three counties meeting, but also three provinces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,280 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Odhinn wrote: »
    Nope, that's cannibalism.

Apparently, it becomes a little bit difficult to further procreate after generations of inbreeding and riding your family members.

Nature/God just makes them infertile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dublin is even tinier. How do all the people fit into such a small place?

Yeah but Dublin has streets and stuff. In third world locations you quickly reach dangerous densities due to lack of proper sanitation, transport, education etc.

Yeah but Dublin has streets and stuff.

County Dublin is much smaller than Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Longford, Leitrim and Cavan all meet near where Larry was from. Not just three counties meeting, but also three provinces.

A very nice man.
    He had a supermarket in Granard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Arva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Imagine arriving at that junction and having to make the awful decision on which direction to go.

Shudders....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

They used to hold a juniors disco night, in town. Apparently, coach loads of youngsters would bus in from miles around. They say these kids were falling out of the buses, already pissed as lords.

Taxi driver told me of an epic he saw. Seems some young, teenage buck stood in the middle of Main Street. Dropped his trousers and jocks to his ankles. Roared; " I'm From Longford!!! " And then demonstrated his contempt for Leitrim by voiding his bowels.

Unfortunately, straight into the jocks around his ankles!

And you lot say Leitrim people are strange?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I've come across a few leitrim deniers who claim leitrim doesn't exist because they have never come across anyone from leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You are all very good I have to say, I was reading through this thread and I almost believed Leitrim existed...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I've come across a few leitrim deniers who claim leitrim doesn't exist because they have never come across anyone from leitrim

Well all you doubters feast your eyes on me.

Or my virtual persona I guess. Which doesn't prove anything.

• Advertisement

Nixonbot wrote:
    Or my virtual persona I guess. Which doesn't prove anything.

lies, all lies !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Leitrim is actually a village in County Galway between Loughrea & Portumna near Kilnadeema with about 280 inhabitants :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

gammygils wrote: »
    Leitrim is actually a village in County Galway between Loughrea & Portumna near Kilnadeema with about 280 inhabitants :D

The sneaky ba$tards, there moving West! :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

https://leitrimjobs.ie - 4 jobs on July 30, 2018

:D or :( ... I'm not sure which...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Everywhere is great for making Cavan look good. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

One of the reasons people hear very little about Leitrim and surrounding areas is because we have perfected our Invisibility Spell. This is for good reason. It's so unreasonably beautiful around these parts that we don't want stragglers, passersby and loiterers coming here to spoil the place with yer modern inconveniences. Nothing to see here. Stay away. Leitrim doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Leitrim is the Siberia of Ireland, people are sent there to count trees!

http://saveleitrim.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They've got a place called Drumshanbo, so they have that going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Dinosaurs still roam there allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cunavalos wrote: »
    The image below shows the effect of rural depopulation in the years after the famine especially in the border region and Leitrimr0nj8jy.jpg

don't mean to be cynical or callous.....but.....could it be argued that the famine was a blessing in disguise? cause the population today would be in the region of 20 million +

and i don't think a small island /economy like ours would cope...the population that we have today is more or less perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Today it's only 31,972.

That's mad Ted.

If there is indeed broadband or dial-up available i'd like to ask a question of the natives. Wouldn't it be better to merge with a neighboring county and which would yeh prefer?

Leitrim???. Never heard of it. Is it part of the old Soviet Union.????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

Nandos isn't even nice! So overrated it's not funny

Today it's only 31,972.

That's mad Ted.

That census survey must have been done on dole day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Odd that in these pics you see that swathe around S. Ulster, E. Connacht, N. Leinster being obliterated. We are always told that the west coast of Ireland was where the famine hit hardest.

I can confirm after many pleasant summer visits that Lovely Leitrim is more than just a slogan. It is the obvious truth. Decent people too - no airs about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I have to say of all the places i visited in ireland leitrim was the most surprising.couldn't get over how beautiful the landscape was.cavan probably the ugliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't think you want to go there.

Cavan people can be precious about their county from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HappySerious

In reality Leitrim is like Wakanda in the movie black panther. There are parts they show to the rest of the country but they hide their advanced technology, rich resources etc. Probably hundreds of thousands of them living in some secret city there and the ones you see outside Leitrim are spies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JOBSOXO

Another reason to love Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ahhhh would you look at all those Catholics making ground in Ulster its only a matter of time :pac:;):p

UCD has more traffic lights that the whole of leitrim, alledgedly there was a set installed somewhere but it was too confusing for the locals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

smurgen wrote: »
    I have to say of all the places i visited in ireland leitrim was the most surprising.couldn't get over how beautiful the landscape was.cavan probably the ugliest.

That bit between Bundoran and Mullaghmore is nice, is there another part of Leitrim?

• Advertisement
Advertisement