Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The GAA 'myth'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Because they are at the top of their game. They put in as much if not more effort that footballers...

More nonsense. They may be at the top of their game but it's a fallacy to state they put in more effort than a LOI footballer, or a national badminton champ, or a international athlete, or national swimming champ, or any other myriad of amateur/semi pro athletes in the country..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

KaneToad wrote: »
    More nonsense. They may be at the top of their game but it's a fallacy to state they put in more effort than a LOI footballer, or a national badminton champ, or a international athlete, or national swimming champ, or any other myriad of amateur/semi pro athletes in the country..

I respect evry amateur athlete in the country and the top of their game. Are you suggesting that the fai or irish badminton association should get funding for a stadium that they cant fill or use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The GAA and politics in this country are intertwined at every level.

More than the GAA and politics are intertwined in this country though.

Unless you want to preclude GAA members from politics (which would be ridiculous) I am not sure what can be done about that.

Politicians will favour their own support base again and again, or will favour large lobby group or potential votes, not sure what can be done about that only get in there and compete.

I respect evry amateur athlete in the country and the top of their game. Are you suggesting that the fai or irish badminton association should get funding for a stadium that they cant fill or use?

No. That would be nonsense.

I am disputing your assertion that GAA players put in more effort than LOI soccer players.

Championing the GAA for being amateur also puzzles me. The reason they are an amateur organisation (and a fine one at that) is that they can't sustain themselves as a professional organisation. The organisation would collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I enjoy GAA, Rugby and soccer. The GAA is far from perfect and has its share of little dictators at the top of the association, but nothing compared to John Delaney who earns €460k (including 100k from UEFA) plus expenses, which included buying a train load of Irish supporters a pint. An awful lot of the GAA money is payed back into the local community, whereas 20% of LOI clubs can’t pay wages, and soccer fans in their droves head over to the UK each weekend.
    Soccer has way more problems here than the GAA, the fact that they have to ask the GAA for the loan of a stadium in Ireland’s second biggest City, tells its own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

What bugs me about the GAA is that the seem to feel they are constantly under threat from the dreaded "soccer". Remember the Thomas Davis/Shamrock Rovers saga in Tallaght ? Thomas Davis went to extraordinary lengths, purely to try and block a "soccer" stadium being built in the area. I couldn't be paid to watch either GAA football, or hurling, but even I have to admit that they get crowds that LOI football could only dream of. The reality is there is no threat to the GAA.

I am disputing your assertion that GAA players put in more effort than LOI soccer players.

Championing the GAA for being amateur also puzzles me. The reason they are an amateur organisation (and a fine one at that) is that they can't sustain themselves as a professional organisation. The organisation would collapse.

The same can be asked of the LOI, can soccer sustain itself as a pro game here? If you look at the infrastructure they have managed to build, the pro clubs that have come and gone and that teeter on the edge of financial collapse, the answer would be an emphatic No.

The same can be asked of the LOI, can soccer sustain itself as a pro game here? If you look at the infrastructure they have managed to build, the pro clubs that have come and gone and that teeter on the edge of financial collapse, the answer would be an emphatic No.

I agree.

Ah yeh. Great argument. Because clubs like bray amd limerick have shown how to sustain a "professional" setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,281 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How can they gain a track record in fairness when the GAA hogs all the political capital.

Soccerball gets too much money in this country. Far more than they can justify or should be trusted with

(I'm assuming they get at least one cent :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Would 'weak management' not apply to a sporting organisation that has only managed to create a stadium that holds 7000 in a city the size of Cork?

Could they not at this stage got another sporting organisation like Rugby to help them build somewhere decent if they can't muster the resources themselves?

Personally I think it is a sign of strong secure management that can change it's mind and come up with a neat formula that shows off it's own sport too.

I enjoy both sports btw, and my children play both codes, but I can never fail to be amazed at how little soccer has managed to achieve in the community in terms of infrastructure where it would be almost equal with GAA in terms of participation.

"where it would be almost equal with GAA in terms of participation"... Why does this keep getting trotted out incorrectly? Football has a far higher participation rate in this country than the GAA, which encompasses both sports of hurling and gaelic football...

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah to be fair to the poor man. By now he must feel entitled to be kept at that level of comfort. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to take it away from him now.

The poor fella is not all there. He'd never be able to figure out what's going on and why all the money isn't flowing into his bank account every week just because

flas wrote: »
    "where it would be almost equal with GAA in terms of participation"... Why does this keep getting trotted out incorrectly? Football has a far higher participation rate in this country than the GAA, which encompasses both sports of hurling and gaelic football...

Soccer(ball)

And it does in its hole

Back this up.

• Advertisement

Around here (border county town) I would guess it is 50/50.

Unaware what the figure would be countrywide, and care less tbh. It is a significant number in both codes.

It's a cult-like fringe movement that are embedded into all sorts of state apparatus. Nowhere as near as popular as it's made out to be, despite lumping 2 sports together and claiming to be one.

Between bitterness and delusion it's hard to see which has the upperhand in that post. Well, anyway, for an organisation so apparently marginal and unpopular its existence certainly has a unique ability to annoy all the right people/West Brits/Garrison Game lovers/Irish culture haters/erstwhile recruitment fodder from deprived urban areas for the British Army/Anglocentric cultural cringe fúcktards, God bless it.

Long may the GAA and the idea of an independent sovereign culturally distinct Ireland continue amid all the sameness of Irish culture-hating Sky Sports watching knackers who would rejoice at the elimination of all Irish cultural distinctiveness from England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Between bitterness and delusion it's hard to see which has the upperhand in that post. Well, anyway, for an organisation so apparently marginal and unpopular its existence certainly has a unique ability to annoy all the right people/West Brits/Garrison Game lovers/Irish culture haters/erstwhile recruitment fodder from deprived urban areas for the British Army/Anglocentric cultural cringe fúcktards, God bless it.

Long may the GAA and the idea of an independent sovereign culturally distinct Ireland continue amid all the sameness of Irish culture-hating Sky Sports watching knackers who would rejoice at the elimination of all Irish cultural distinctiveness from England.

Your complete lack of even the merest hint of self-awareness is truly odd.

Funny though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Seeing as how the GAA signed a deal with Sky Sports for broadcasting rights of GAA games, would they be included in your category of "Irish culture-hating Sky Sports watching knackers"?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Your complete lack of even the merest hint of self-awareness is truly odd.

Funny though.

Ah Yamanoto. Speaking of people who are notably hostile to all aspects of Irish independence/ apologists for the British Empire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Back this up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.balls.ie/amp/football/rugby-irelands-most-popular-sport-384546

All the data is in that article from two different reports

Go easy. It doesnt include anyone under the the of 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The GAA is on Sky Sports now, dude. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Since when has playing hurling and gaelic football made anyone Irish what makes someone Irish is their Irish origins not which sports they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ah Yamanoto. Speaking of people who are notably hostile to all aspects of Irish independence/ apologists for the British Empire...

Find a post of mine that demonstrates either of the above & we'll have a discussion Fuaranach.

Before I'm accused of despising Irish culture too, look up posts on my love for Seamus Ennis & Willie Clancy - though as a Wolfe Tones fan, you may not have heard of those gents before. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Mutant z wrote: »
    Since when has playing hurling and gaelic football made anyone Irish what makes someone Irish is their Irish origins not which sports they play.

Lee Chin might disagree

Why cant it be possible to follow any sport as you please without being called petty names because of it they are just games after all be that Soccer, GAA, Rugby etc why care about which ones or not someone watches or plays why cant you enjoy or not enjoy them all.

No it isnt its simply a sport like any other much like soccer and cricket, naionality is not defined by what sports you play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Serious contender for the most moronic post of the year.

Well played.

Yes, that's what is happening here. :rolleyes:

Take a step back from the conspiracy theries and relax.

There's not an orcestrated plan to destroy anything.

This topic has brought the bigots out of the woodwork anyway, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

This is the kind of bitter nonsense that has been going on all week. Blinded by bitterness I would say.

Contributions to community (of all sorts) are mentioned in pleas for leniency and in character references all the time.

But you target only those that mention contributions to the GAA. :):)

I mentioned it because all that happens in numerous cases is “he’s a member of the GAA”. He could be just sitting in a GAA pub skulking pints as opposed to volunteering which vast numbers of people do across the country.

That sense of entitlement that being linked to the Gah is something that makes one superior to other members of society.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I mentioned it because all that happens in numerous cases is “he’s a member of the GAA”. He could be just sitting in a GAA pub skulking pints as opposed to volunteering which vast numbers of people do across the country.

That sense of entitlement that being linked to the Gah is something that makes one superior to other members of society.

Community involvement in anything will be metioned. I fear you are being fairly typically paranoid and selective and are only hearing what you want to hear.

The GAA has as many rogues and upstanding members of the community as any organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Another overplayed one is "all of the money earned by the GAA, goes back into the GAA". I'm pretty sure that's the same for every sport.

?
    It pays the players in many cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

There are quite a few pro GAA players now. Its a weird setup as their teams are not even setup as full time pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Seems like a convenient preference, right enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

trashcan wrote: »
    but even I have to admit that they get crowds that LOI football could only dream of.

Not at club level they don't.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Not at club level they don't.

Plenty of rural local GAA club matches that would get bigger turnouts than some LOI games

I think we know where the Indos's loyalty lies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jesus, it's hard to know who to despise more - fervent GAA supporters who think people who prefer different sports are somehow less Irish, or fans of other sports with a chip on their shoulder about the GAA. Fortunately most people I've met in the real world can follow one or more sports without believing petty stereotypes about others.

m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/comment-the-fais-40kaweek-debt-burden-has-set-the-irish-game-back-a-decade-37164959.html

Yep lets give these lads more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I think we know where the Indos's loyalty lies!

I think you haven’t a clue and obviously didn’t watch the match yesterday and seem oblivious to the fact that the FAI are saddled with debt and pay their CEO €360k pa, 2 valid points, I don’t know why I even read some of the Drivel on here, not going to bother anymore this place is far removed from the real world.
    Anyway the GAA is a great organisation (held back by a few dinosaurs that still hold too much power) that has facilitated Liam Millar’s (RIP) fundraiser and have inadvertently got it more publicity than it could ever have hoped to get.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    I think you haven’t a clue and obviously didn’t watch the match yesterday and seem oblivious to the fact that the FAI are saddled with debt and pay their CEO €360k pa, 2 valid points, I don’t know why I even read some of the Drivel on here, not going to bother anymore this place is far removed from the real world.
    Anyway the GAA is a great organisation (held back by a few dinosaurs that still hold too much power) that has facilitated Liam Millar’s (RIP) fundraiser and have inadvertently got it more publicity than it could ever have hoped to get.

Ah that's precious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

trapp wrote: »
    We're constantly told that GAA players 'go to work on a Monday morning' after a match, in reality every decent county team does recovery sessions on a Monday morning, a huge amount of GAA players are students or teachers with the rest employed in gyms etc or living from sponsership deals etc.

I used to work with one of the Dublin GAA lads. During the summer months, he'd arrive into the office for PR events but you wouldn't see him apart from that. He was a very nice bloke, I have to say. He brought in the trophy when they won it for the first time in years, so Dublin people in the office could take pictures with it etc.
    trapp wrote: »
    GAA volunteers are great no doubt about that but do people not volunteer in boxing clubs, soccer clubs, etc all over the country too, listening to the GAA they're the only ones with volunteers!

Of course they do. They work their backsides off for their sport. Don't understand why they don't get the credit they deserve in public.
    Sheeps wrote: »
    No self respecting Dub should ever follow or support GAA. I know Dublin are obviously the best at the football, but that's only to annoy the bog warriors. The whole thing is a complete joke.

The GAA need Dublin to be successful. They are fighting a losing battle with football (the PL in particular) in the county and the rise of Leinster rugby over the past few years is an even bigger threat to them.

Im a GAA player and i go to work on a monday.

Im a GAA player and i go to work on a monday.

Stop making the soccer players feel bad
    Some of them have to wait til Tuesday to pick up the dole

:pac:

I'm no fan of the GAA (simply because having no interest in their sports didn't stop the Christian Brothers bombarding me with them as a kid), but at the same time I've no problem tipping my hat to them for what they've achieved for themselves.

It's not as if the GAA owe anything to soccer or boxing, etc in this country, and when you look at the state of LOI football clubs over the last few years, yikes! Major urban centres like Bray and Limerick on the brink of total collapse, while the GAA maintain 20,000+ capacity stadiums in rural towns up and down the country.

No fan, but good luck to them I say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement