Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a&e visit and the bill

Options
  • 29-07-2018 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on the below as someone might have been in a similar situation

Long story short i have cut my arm with broken glass accidentally(small pieces of shattered glass), got some bandages on and went to Naas a&e. I have arrived there at 11pm, nurse has seen me after an hour or so, took some of the glass out, but said it’s impossible to see if all is out without an xray which the doctor will do when he sees me.

When i asked what the waiting time was at the reception, they said i will probably wait a minimum of 12 hours, so i have decided to go home, take a couple of hours sleep, took my phone charger and i was back there at 6am.

The doctor has seen me at around 11am, he looked at my arm and said he doesn’t think there is anymore glass in there, put some stiches on, got a prescribtion for some antibiotics and off i go in the next 10-15mins (i did say that the nurse mentioned x ray, but he said that it’s fine)

Now when i went to my gp to take the stitches out, he said he is almost positive that i have glass in there, as he can feel some foreign body close to my skin, so he is sending me for an x ray and obviously if it’s positive i’ll need to be cut and fixed up again

Don’t get me wrong - i am not trying to make trouble for anyone and i am not moaning about the waiting times or anything else. My big question is - who do i complaint about the bill that i have received from the hospital? It’s not much, just a 100eur - i wouldn’t mind to pay even if it was 500, but the job wasn’t done properly(if they find out that i have more glass in my arm after an x ray), i just don’t feel i should pay that? Or am wrong thinking this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once you've attended A&E, you're liable for the A&E fee, regardless of quality. Its not an outcome based fee.

There are routes for complaint but none remove the liability for the fee, which is statutory.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

L1011 wrote: »
    Once you've attended A&E, you're liable for the A&E fee, regardless of quality. Its not an outcome based fee.

There are routes for complaint but none remove the liability for the fee, which is statutory.

Thank you for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Cocobongo wrote: »
    Thank you for clarifying

Was there more glass there op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was there more glass there op?

That's completely irrelevant to the Consumer Issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

If you go back to the a&e with a letter of referral from your GP you shouldn't have to pay again. So you'll only be on the hook for a single a&e fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's completely irrelevant to the Consumer Issue.

That's back seat modding.

I read the charter, nowhere does it say off topic chat is completely forbidden, Get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Calm down posters - leave it be

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How long after A&E did you visit your GP? your body generally forces out foreign bodies if it can. By the time you got to your gp the glass would have been closer to the surface and thus easier to feel. I had something similar myself with a head wound. a week or so after leaving A&E i could start to feel a piece of glass under the skin. It eventually forced its own way out.

Advertisement