Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do some posters actually have a life outside of boards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There are definitely a few fantasists, the high post count is driven by the need to keep reiterating the details of their very interesting, very impressive, super real life.

Those posts have been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

A lot of sad people on this forum, no doubt about that. I pity them to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Taytoland wrote: »
    A lot of sad people on this forum, no doubt about that. I pity them to be honest.
    Sad as in...?

Can't be sadder than constantly posting hardline loyalist rhetoric to wind people up like. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Taytoland wrote:

Pot and kettle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Sad as in...?

Can't be sadder than constantly posting hardline loyalist rhetoric to wind people up like. ;)

Tbf, there's a hell of a lot more shinnerbots on here than loyalist flunkies

Tbf, there's a hell of a lot more shinnerbots on here than loyalist flunkies
    I don't really know how that changes my point though.

"Shinnerbot" also gets thrown out at people for simply empathising with nationalists in the north - I am completely sympathetic to nationalists and moderate republicans, but I think the IRA were murdering scum, and I wouldn't vote Sinn Fein if you paid me. I'd still be referred to as a shinnerbot here though. It's tedious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    Sad as in...?

Not my fault my views wind people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"Shinnerbot" also gets thrown out at people for simply empathising with nationalists in the north - I am completely sympathetic to nationalists and moderate republicans, but I think the IRA were murdering scum, and I wouldn't vote Sinn Fein if you paid me. I'd still be referred to as a shinnerbot here though. It's tedious.

From extensive personal experience :) it is generally trotted out when an argument is being lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭travist

I wonder who has the record for top amount of posts?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

travist wrote: »
    I wonder who has the record for top amount of posts?
    mike65

He averaged just over 14 a day

Your point was...is there anything sadder than someone spouting hardline loyalist rethoric...and there is...the shinnerbots do it more frequently and in threads that have nothing to do with the topic... but thats my personal experience, I try to stay away from any topics that goes down that road as it's just tedious to read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You know you've a problem when you get a PM asking you to be a mod.

Your point was...is there anything sadse than someone spouting hardline loyalist rethoric...and there is...the shinnerbots do it more frequently and in threads that have nothing to do with the topic

What topic? Shinnerbotism? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Earthhorse wrote: »

Every single one. Strange!

• Advertisement

Your point was...is there anything sadse than someone spouting hardline loyalist rethoric
    That's not what I said at all. I responded to someone who has the neck to say this place is full of sad people (of course not a word to support that assertion) when they post loyalist bigotry on a constant basis. Some of it downright bile. All you were doing was saying "But what about shinnerbots?" which had no relevance.

And "Shinnerbot" IS often an insult for someone who isn't in any way hardline provo - just acknowledging of the fact that the conflict wasn't all republican.

That's not what I said at all. I responded to someone who has the neck to say this place is full of sad people (of course not a word to support that assertion) when they post loyalist bigotry on a constant basis. Some of it downright bile. All you were doing was saying "But what about shinnerbots?" which had no relevance.

And "Shinnerbot" IS often an insult for someone who isn't in any way hardline provo - just acknowledging of the fact that the conflict wasn't all republican.

Sometimes people cant see the wood for the trees I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork Soccer SixaSide

I was a fairly high-count poster. Our football/soccer group started here on boards over five years ago when twelve strangers met for a kick-about. There's approximately 40 of us now playing three nights every week. One of our players moved to South Dublin and set up his own 'franchise' there which is going strong.

I'd estimate that around 200 people have gone through the groups over the years. We've won a league, had good nights out, attended the funeral of one of our players who passed away tragically at a young age and everything.

So I guess the answer is yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If boards translated to real life, everyone is rich, works from home, never breaks the law ect.

Really just a lot of liers on here.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

If boards translated to real life, everyone is rich, works from home, never breaks the law ect.

I love a nice lie in me. Especially Sunday mornings. Gives me a break from all the money I make in my law abiding home based business empire.

:p

The only part of what you said that's true for me is that I do work from home.
    I take lots of breaks from work and come on here to chat sometimes. Sometimes I take a break from boards and other websites I'm a member of for a few months at a time then I'll post again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have about 5000 posts across 15 years. I didn't post at all for six years of that but I actually probably read the site just as much if not more during that period. My average posting per day is probably at its higest ever now and yet Im probably busier than ever the past 6 months than ever before in my life. Being able to post from my phone on public transport nowadays is the reason I post so much more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

I have an average of about 20 posts per day on this account and almost 24000 posts in total. I usually use boards on my phone and it's just something i check when I look at my phone just like Snapchat and Instagram. Its easy to manage a high post count as I check chat threads when I'm on a bus somewhere or in a car etc but I definitely have a social life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

There are definitely a few fantasists, the high post count is driven by the need to keep reiterating the details of their very interesting, very impressive, super real life.

I always picture such people pale and unshaven, wearing stained y-fronts, posting on an old Windows 98 PC with a flickering CRT monitor, in a windowless room full of empty pot noodle cartons, overflowing ashtrays and coke bottles full of their own piss.

No different to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

And all the gay feminist traveller Muslims on welfare would be getting a free house every week running the country into the ground with their agenda!! :eek:

I actually thought I was slightly obsessed with Boards.ie before but I have gone periods without doing much.
    However what really made me see I wasn't obsessed with it was when I saw people who obsessed with things actually behave. There lives are actually nearly all about it.

I actually thought I was slightly obsessed with Boards.ie before but I have gone periods without doing much.
    However what really made me see I wasn't obsessed with it was when I saw people who obsessed with things actually behave. There lives are actually nearly all about it.

Do you mean the Shinnerbots?

Do you mean the Shinnerbots?

Well good example but no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Depends really. If someone only posted in AH I'd say 'get a life. But I'm also busy posting in the forum's which cover my interests, ie motorbikes, martial arts, running & cycling.

I post in Ah out of boredom, plus I find some posters pretty interesting here (depending on the topic of course).

So yea, I've a pretty busy life away from boards.ie

There is an interesting trend of trying to justify ones post counts running through this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's yes and no. Posters, of course, have a real life away from boards and hold down jobs, have a family and social life and post across a range of topics that interest them and enjoy some harmless banter. Others obviously reply on Boards for their only 'contact' with people, post the same old things day in and day out, paste in links and video as though nobody else has access to news, and seem to crave being part of the virtual community.

That said there are all kinds of situations or places that some people seem to prefer to 'real life'. There are people who have no lives outside work. Others have no life outside a particular sport. Some don't seem to have a life away from a games console.

• Advertisement

It's quite obvious there some extremely lonely people on Boards.

You left out angry, bitter, and deluded there, Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

thats ten posts a day

The op fell asleep during maths class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Every single one. Strange!

Wow! Checked there and it's mad to see. Still quoted posts visible though. Mad to see all that "history" gone. Also that despite visiting the site daily I completely missed this massive change to T&Cs and the whole big feedback thread going on months! Where have I been?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's easy to build up a huge post count in a short space of time if your job allows you to time to look at the site while you "work". It's also easy if you contribute to the likes of soccer match threads or the commentary threads for the late late or or liveline, where pretty much every comment is purposely a throw away remark.

Obviously, there's one or two Walter Mitty types - well, I can think of one in particular - who'll use boards as a soapbox to wax lyrical about their fictional lifestyle; to such an extent that they undermine the credibility of the tall tales they spin and come across as profoundly sad individuals.

You'd wonder, of course, about the actual life lived by some on here - a smallish enough minority to be fair - who can argue to essay length several times a day, every day. You'd wonder do they ever get outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭twignme

Five years and only 196 posts. I must have a really interesting life.

Damn, that’s one more.
    Five years and only 197 posts .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I think the thing about boards is it ambiguity, you can post a lot of crap because no one really knows who you are , some people post a heck or a lot of crap so get big counts.
    I have only ever met two boards members in real life.
    Figured out who two people are from public Facebook posts and cut and paste posts on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I’ve 2000 posts in 9 years-should I be worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't usually judge posters by the number of posts, since I know that you can pile up a lot of posts with participation in specific forums, like say, if you post a photo in the photography forum, then post once or twice in a discussion, then post a quick guess in that "guess where this is " thread (can't remember the actual title !), or an update on a sports thread, etc...

People might go through phases too. I would imagine if you are ill and stuck at home or in hospital, boards is some help to relieve loneliness or boredom.
    Mr M travels a lot, and I find I post a lot more when he's away, as I'm living rural and when I'm at home with the children, I do like a bit of adult discussion in the evenings.

I wonder how often the statistic things are refreshed, or are they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

honeybear wrote: »
    I’ve 2000 posts in 9 years-should I be worried?

Yes. You need to get out less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Earthhorse wrote: »

Well that's fcukin weird.

There are others though I'm sure

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry but only just getting chance to post in this thread after a bit of housekeeping on the site as well as dealing with some user Feedback

Yes I have a life outside Boards. I even visited Dublin city centre once.

Beasty wrote: »
    I even visited Dublin city centre once.

I have been there a few times too.

*On Google Street View. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry but only just getting chance to post in this thread after a bit of housekeeping on the site as well as dealing with some user Feedback

Yes I have a life outside Boards. I even visited Dublin city centre once.

I have to walk through twice a day on the way to Heuston - purely to get the f**k out of Dodge and home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I'm sitting here in my underwear at my taxpayer-funded computer in my taxpayer-funded flat drinking from my taxpayer-funded cans just waiting, waiting for the moment to unleash my rage and discontent at the rich people holding me back from reaching my true potential and hoping for the chance to show my smug sense of intellectual superiority.

I'm sitting here in my underwear at my taxpayer-funded computer in my taxpayer-funded flat drinking from my taxpayer-funded cans just waiting, waiting for the moment to unleash my rage and discontent at the rich people holding me back from reaching my true potential and hoping for the chance to show my smug sense of intellectual superiority.
    But do you have a life outside of Boards???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Boards is life

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

I suppose there is something hypocritical with people debating genocide for dole scroungers at 2pm on a Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Debtocracy wrote: »
    I suppose there is something hypocritical with people debating genocide for dole scroungers at 2pm on a Monday.

It's called a lunchbreak. Workers occasionally have those.

It’s easy enough to rack up a good few posts if you have more or less constant internet access. I’d have boards open in a browser at work all day and would regularly dip in and out of it. Id be on boards for the duration of my time in the jacks which is about 40 mins mid morning everyday for me and I’d have it open on the phone or laptop while watching tv all evening so would be dipping in and out of threads etc. I actually tend not to be on it much during lunch as I’m gone getting food and then talking to people etc while eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

[QUOTE=Athena Melodic Ignoramus;10765726 Id be on boards for the duration of my time in the jacks which is about 40 mins mid morning everyday for me [/QUOTE]

Fourty minutes every day ???
    Maaannn I'm in the wrong job, is that how the other half lives ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement