Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious about moving back to Ireland.

Options
  • 29-07-2018 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Aside from the horror stories I'm hearing about people lining up all day for a chance at a €700 a month cupboard (sorry, 'room'), I won't have a job coming back. In my experience the last thing landlords want in the house is someone on the dole/rent allowance. Any advice people have would be appreciated. Not looking for anything in Dublin would be the obvious one to not be paying through the nose, but the other issue I've always found a serious hurdle, and to be honest I don't think landlords should be able to deny people like that, if they want to rent. Anyways. I'll take any advice people have. Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Renting is difficult in most parts of the country these days., There are very few properties available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Hopefully you have someone you can stay with while you look for work and for a place to rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Apocalypse2018

I would suggest buying a tent, www . eveningecho.ie/corknews/Mum-of-nine-living-on-beach-just-wants-a-home-5d049664-f99e-45b6-9849-e8160458aa36-ds

Lady in Youghal lives on the beach because she cannot find house. I bet it's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Aside from the horror stories I'm hearing about people lining up all day for a chance at a €700 a month cupboard (sorry, 'room'), I won't have a job coming back. In my experience the last thing landlords want in the house is someone on the doll/rent allowance. Any advice people have would be appreciated. Not looking for anything in Dublin would be the obvious one to not be paying through the nose, but the other issue I've always found a serious hurdle, and to be honest I don't think landlords should be able to deny people like that, if they want to rent. Anyways. I'll take any advice people have. Thanks.

Depending on how long you have been away you might not qualify for welfare here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Apocalypse2018

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Depending on how long you have been away you might not qualify for welfare here.

If he can't get welfare, I suggest he hunts pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

How long have you been away? Are you in the EU? Are you on benefits now?
    If your in the EU on JSB now then you can transfer your benefit to here but you’ll have to organise that before you leave.
    If you’ve been gone 2 years + and your not on a Benefit or your outside the EU then you will have to jump through serious hoops to get the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

I would suggest buying a tent, www . eveningecho.ie/corknews/Mum-of-nine-living-on-beach-just-wants-a-home-5d049664-f99e-45b6-9849-e8160458aa36-ds

Lady in Youghal lives on the beach because she cannot find house. I bet it's not that bad.

I hope there's a Lidl special on!

I was away for three years before and got on the dole after coming back no problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Being realistic, you are very unlikely to find a place until you get a job. Landlords are going to have many options to choose from, and they are going to pick a financially stable option every time.

Have you family or friends you could live with until you find a job?

Not especially. Ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Landlords providing accommodation is a business not a charity. Any business providing a service will only do so if they are satisfied that they purchaser can pay for the goods. If you can prove to the landlord that you can pay the rent while unemployed then there is a great likelihood you will get the accommodation. However dont blame him/her if he goes for a safer option.
    Irish people have a strange mentality when it comes to renting and dealing with landlords.
    They break leases, want to use deposits as the last months rent and feel its ok to go into arrears. They should go to France or Germany and try those stunts and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Don't want to sound harsh here op but it doesn't seem like you have much of a plan and I would suggest you're at serious risk of ending up homeless if you come back as you are now. Can you at least try and line up some work first? Or maybe save a bit so you can airbnb it for a couple of weeks until you find a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Both working professionals and it's almost impossible to find a place to rent, without a job I can't see it happen tbh.

Edgware wrote: »
    Landlords providing accommodation is a business not a charity. Any business providing a service will only do so if they are satisfied that they purchaser can pay for the goods.

Like the literal guarantee of rent allowance.
    Edgware wrote: »
    If you can prove to the landlord that you can pay the rent while unemployed then there is a great likelihood you will get the accommodation.

I think you and I have had very different experiences. In fact the majority of ads on daft witll specify no rent allowance.

I hope there's a Lidl special on!

I was away for three years before and got on the dole after coming back no problem...

You shouldn’t have any problem so but have evidence of having broken all ties with your current country and they will want proof of address (sw).
    Landlords can’t directly refuse SW recipients accommodation but they can ask you for a reference from your employer.
    The housing crisis is chronic right across the country. I assume you’ve checked daft.ie and that will give you a pretty accurate picture.

Don't want to sound harsh here op but it doesn't seem like you have much of a plan and I would suggest you're at serious risk of ending up homeless if you come back as you are now. Can you at least try and line up some work first? Or maybe save a bit so you can airbnb it for a couple of weeks until you find a place?

I'm already there to be honest. Got burned for 1500 by my last employer who also provided accommodation, now I'm in a no paddle and up a creek situation. Not that ordinarily I'd let savings be that low, it's just been one thing after the other this year. It's been fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Go to the county/city council offices and present as homeless to the housing counter. They might put you up in a hotel or BnB for a while.
    It's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is why our country is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think you and I have had very different experiences. In fact the majority of ads on daft witll specify no rent allowance.

They are not allowed to do that and landlords are not allowed to discriiinate against RA or HAP tenants, which is one reason rents are above RA rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

because someone unemployed gets the minimum to live on and prevent them being homeless? cop on.

OP it is a difficult one, the places where the jobs are also have the highest rents.

there are places in the northwest like Sligo where rooms are still affordable and while there are not huge opportunities to get work, it's not totally dead, there is at least bar/hotel work and a few factories, and landlords aren't dead set against renting to people on the dole as there were so many on it recently due to the recession. you find that attitude more in the cities. manorhamilton in Leitrim is another cheap town to rent in. it's even more out of the way then Sligo but I was there for a while on an artist residency and it had everything you need and was lovely.

but it is very tough, even if you move somewhere small and cheap, cheap rent will still be a lot out of your dole, so how do you save enough to get a away to somewhere with more jobs? i was in that situation for years and ended up having to move home (in my friggin 30's)

I would try everything I could to avoid coming back, sure listen to what people are saying here telling you to buy a tent. the attitude here towards anyone stuck is often like that.

Not really. I wasn't sitting at home drinking tea not looking for work those three years, like generations of families now in Ireland, I was working my ass off abroad. I am still a national after those three years, yes? I was able to sign on straight away, they didn't hand me a stack of notes, there's a waiting period so it's wise to sign on in case you don't find anything in the ways of employment. Would the country be less of a joke if I were told to feck off and go add to the already sizeable homeless numbers? Think before you post.

Anyways thanks for the advice lads. As I said I'm basically penniless and homeless where I am now, and had an offer of a flight home but that's changed at the last minute now so guess I'm homeless in an airport here (can't even afford to catch a train back to the city and the airport is on a man made island) so I guess it's swings and roundabouts, be homeless in Dublin or here. Thanks for giving me a lay of the land back home though, wonder if things will ever calm down there. Last time I was renting in Dublin I think it was 450 for a tiny 'studio' in an old Georgian that was ridiculously rat infested. As soon as I'd turn off the lights the scratching would start at the skirting, even had one run past me one day, broke through while I was out. At least this airport doesn't have that, until security notice the white boy that's been there a few days and do god knows what to be honest. Cheers.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »

They are not allowed to do that and landlords are not allowed to discriiinate against RA or HAP tenants, which is one reason rents are above RA rates

Well I mean what can you do? They just won't take you. Nobody can prove you were passed over for a working person. Difficult situation really.

OP you may not know that rent allowance has been over now in almost every county for at least a year. HAP as administered by the LA is the only payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

splinter65 wrote: »
    OP you may not know that rent allowance has been over now in almost every county for at least a year. HAP as administered by the LA is the only payment.

.......... and before you are eligible for HAP you have to get on your local Council's social housing waiting list. Which involves completing a lengthy form and providing lots of supporting documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

It ill be ok just collect ur sense of entitlement at the airport....
    Really you need to have some plan explore all avenues family friends support apply for a job or two

rossmores wrote: »
    It ill be ok just collect ur sense of entitlement at the airport....
    Really you need to have some plan explore all avenues family friends support apply for a job or two

Wow some people... I may be fecked but at least I'm nothing like you. I like how you called me entitled (because I've gone out into the world to work, or something) then expose your own privilege. Not everyone has the avenues you so flippantly told me to pursue. Take a serious look in the mirror. I do not feel entitled to anything. I want to work. I don't believe you can read properly to be honest. If I felt 'entitlement' for anything I would've never left the country and gone out to work. Your logic is really failing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]OP you where happy to come back for the dole before, but ok you need to leave the chip on your shoulder in the airport of the country you are exiting......[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dk1982

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]OP you where happy to come back for the dole before, but ok you need to leave the chip on your shoulder in the airport of the country you are exiting......[/font]
    Get down off your high horse ffs, I hope if you ever fall on hard times yourself you get more sympathy that you're offering here. OP, best of luck with your situation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod note.
    Less attacking of the posters, from both sides.

Attack the contents of the post. Any more silly comments will result in a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It depends on where you live,
    is it rural,. a small town , a city or posh area .
    We need about 40k plus new housing units in ireland.
    Look at rathmines, ranelagh ,
    i,d say it would be hard to find a flat thats under the rent allowance limit.
    Each area has different limits ,the max rent you can pay on rent allowance.
    in dublin ,theres a boom going on.
    Theres simply not enough rental units to go round for all the people
    who want to live here .
    i hear landlords in small towns in rural area,s may take on rent allowance tenants .
    In dublin focus cafe temple bar give out a list every day of flats
    that might be avaidable for rent allowance clients.
    you can get advice from threshold or crosscare offices.
    See www.threshold.ie
    You have to fill in forms at the local council housing, dept to get on the housing list .
    Before you can apply for rent allowance .

• Advertisement

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]OP you where happy to come back for the dole before[/font]

Except I wasn't, who in their right mind would be happy to go from an easy well paying job that allowed lots of travel to going back on the dole and being stuck in a rat infested flat, think for just a second...

Great advice riclad I'll try that focus cafe thanks. Not quite there yet though, offer of a ticket home fell through and have been in this airport for three days unable to even leave or eat, let's see what happens.

Advertisement