Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"mysterious" threads disappearance

• 29-07-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

so ... did people notice couple of threads gone in a day ? or does this happen all the time ?
    was wondering if there is a database issue, or human interference?
    - for example there was one here in AH, discussing about a media story on Dublin begging/homelessness and associated tourists complaints, and another somewhere in Society and Culture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

mvl wrote: »
    so ... did people notice couple of threads gone in a day ? or does this happen all the time ?
    was wondering if there is a database issue, or human interference?
    - for example there was one here in AH, discussing about a media story on Dublin begging/homelessness and associated tourists complaints, and another somewhere in Society and Culture.

Regular occurrence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not left enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

and is there a known reason associated with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Nanny state strikes again.

ah, well.
    I find AH can be educative about urban aspects of our life - so was wondering if one thread could be restored from backup - guess not a chance :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Any Mods/Cmods around to answer the Op's question??

I contributed to the thread about Dublin City Centre being "overrun" with junkies.... . why was it deleted without explanation??

MadDog76 wrote: »

I contributed to the thread about Dublin City Centre being "overrun" with junkies.... . why was it deleted without explanation??

i know :)

seriously - didn't see anything offensive in it (unless maybe i missed the last posts); it also had some junk in it, but not more than other threads, and defo had more interesting info than many threads here that are still still up ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Some mod barged in yesterday,closed a few and probably relegated a few to the graveyard that is the politics cafe were threads go to die..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a mod gone rogue. Randomly deleting threads for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"Do other first world countries suffer from "junkie/scumbag" problem that Ireland does"?

This one? OP was a banned re-reg, admins deleted their stuff as usual.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nixonbot wrote: »
    "Do other first world countries suffer from "junkie/scumbag" problem that Ireland does"?

This one? OP was a banned re-reg, admins deleted their stuff as usual.

Just re-instated that one having seen it was mentioned in the "Slow Death" thread

You think Ireland is the only with a drug problem?

I take it you didnt watch Louis Theroux on Friday

What? I was quoting the thread title :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've reopened threads started by trolls when the subject matter itself wasn't trolling and was inviting and getting discussion. Did so this morning. Will do so again. I'm generally against closing threads, unless it's gone completely rogue. If there's a mess, then janitor the problems and leave the thread open. Thread closure is lazy modding IMHO and gives off the vibe of too much interference and over moderation, reinforcing the charge regularly levelled at Boards.ie. I prefer to let them fade out of their own accord. It's a discussion site, my "job" as a moderator should be to facilitate that by cleaning up when things go wrong, not by closing discussion entirely. Doubly so in still active threads.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

thanks. guess this thread can be closed now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some mod barged in yesterday,closed a few and probably relegated a few to the graveyard that is the politics cafe were threads go to die..

I closed all the threads for a few minutes. I didn't delete or lock anything tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

MadDog76 wrote: »

I'm not surprised. As I am sure you are aware, most of the Mods and CMods are junkies.

Sure who else could you get to do such a shite job for nothing only a few grams of smack a year

We just have to wait for Celtic Tiger II to come along so that they can start paying mods in coke again. Then we'll get a better class of people running the shop :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sure who else could you get to do such a shite job for nothing only a few grams of smack a year
    Admins is where it's at - both quality and quantity improve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's been happening constantly lately due to rereg troll starting threads. I get why they're banned but unfortunately everyone else's contributions are binned without a second thought too. Personally I think the constant deletions are more disruptive and annoying than the troll. I posted in one last week then came across a good article related to the topic so thought I'd share it. Spent ages trying to find the thread only to realise it's been dumped. It's a real turn off for AH at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe some of the disappearing threads should have been in Feedback or Helpdesk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I closed all the threads for a few minutes. I didn't delete or lock anything tough.

Wrong click of a button or was it some house cleaning?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

No , nothing like that , just a Ronald Reagan moment , dropped a few jelly beans on the keyboard and that was that.

Mischief I say -_-

Advertisement