Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ahed Tamimi - a young woman to admire

• 29-07-2018 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

Heard news this morning that this admirable teenager and her mother were released today. She was jailed for 8 months for slapping an Israeli soldier after her 15-year-old cousin was shot in the head at close range with a rubber-coated steel bullet, severely wounding him.

One of my favourite comedians, Sarah Silverman (of Jewish decent) tweeted her support for Ahed Tamimi in February, saying "Jews have to stand up even when - especially when - the wrongdoing is by Jews/the Israeli government."

With the lack of role models for young people in Ireland, this teenager is someone for them to look up to. With conviction (excuse the pun) and activism, even at such a young age she is a symbol of resistance against overwhelming odds.

000_WP432-e1516022267577-640x400.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Incredibly low bar for Silverman to criticize the shooting of a 15 year old in the head at point blank range. Criticizing that would be expected from all but the most vile of human beings.

The Palestinian girl Ahed was absolutely right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't be silly. It's the 21st century

Why should we admire her? Did she get her knockers out on instagram or marry a millionaire sports star or something? No. Not even a sex tape or a story of riding some famous married fella

Crazy talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Don't be silly. It's the 21st century

Why should we admire her? Did she get her knockers out on instagram or marry a millionaire sports star or something? No. Not even a sex tape or a story of riding some famous married fella

Crazy talk

She'll do that when she's 16 and everyone has forgotten her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

backspin. wrote: »
    Incredibly low bar for Silverman to criticize the shooting of a 15 year old in the head at point blank range. Criticizing that would be expected from all but the most vile of human beings.
    Still, very rare for an American Jewish public figure to even hint at criticising Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The security staff all look very tense there. She could have guns concealed inside that hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

She's a scumbag who assaults people and then hides behind "oh, I'm a little girl".

Maybe if your hatred of Jews/Israel wasn't so strong, you would see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

dotsman wrote: »
    She's a scumbag who assaults people and then hides behind "oh, I'm a little girl".

The Hasbara have arrived on que...what a surprise :D

archer22 wrote: »
    The Hasbara have arrived on que...what a surprise :D

Afraid you're wrong there. Just an Irish person who doesn't follow the standard Sinn Fein/IRA/Anti-Israel crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Seems like a great role model for other palestinians and militant muslims. Definitely doing a lot more to help them than burqas and rocket launchers ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

This issue will still be happening a century from now in fact the whole region is in flames why care so much about something beyond any of our control if the Jews and Arabs want to keep fighting leave them at it i say its not our job to intervene in others conflict if they cant come to any sort of agreement between themselves how is anything we do going to make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

A modern day Anne Frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nope. she is a heroe who gave a member of the IDF what they deserve.
    and i don't hate jews at all thanks. criticising israel is not hatred of jews

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Should still be in jail. Very soft sentence.

nope. she is a heroe who gave a member of the IDF what they deserve.
    and i don't hate jews at all thanks. criticising israel is not hatred of jews

What's heroic about assaulting someone who is both ordered and socially restricted to not strike back??? And then hiding behind "I'm a little girl"???

Most pro-Islamic-terrorism/anti-Israel beliefs have their origins in good old fashioned jew-bashing. Certainly here in Ireland, it is almost with religious fervor that people don't look at the middle east cluster**** objectively and just jump on the anti-Israeli bandwagon. Ask yourself, why are you so anti-Israel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

I support Israel's right to defend itself (but I don't support how it tends to do so disproportionately), I think Hamas is full of scumbags, I feel for ordinary innocent Israelis living in fear... but your comment is just needless provocation - "assaults people"? Don't be dishonest - assaulted a person with a slap. She shouldn't have done it, but what about the scummy assault she did it in retaliation to? Any opinion on that?

I think anti-semitism is reprehensible by the way. It's also odious the way critics of the Israeli military are just branded anti-semitic because of an inability to think of a more intelligent riposte.

Sarah Silverman, the Jewish woman, must be anti-semitic so.

The way people will just latch onto one ideology and never stray from it (in case it looks like they agree with them ones over there) even when it makes no sense, is just... how hard is it to consider things from more than one "side"? :confused:

Most pro-Islamic-terrorism/anti-Israel beliefs have their origins in good old fashioned jew-bashing. Certainly here in Ireland, it is almost with religious fervor that people don't look at the middle east cluster**** objectively and just jump on the anti-Israeli bandwagon. Ask yourself, why are you so anti-Israel?
    While there is no doubt some anti-semitism, there's no reason not to believe the anti IDF views come mostly from the atrocious treatment by the Israeli military of innocent Palestinians, which is not hard to see - try to zone out of the "must be pro Israel at all times no matter how appalling the military" mindset and be honest with yourself. It's ok - it won't make you look like a shinner :D

Anti Israeli military and government tactics is not the same as anti Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anybody who does support Israel supports them because they are good at killing Muslims. Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What's heroic about assaulting someone who is both ordered and socially restricted to not strike back??? And then hiding behind "I'm a little girl"???

everything is heroic about it. the IDF are a terrorist force who have commited large scale terrorism on behalf of their government.

Most pro-Islamic-terrorism/anti-Israel beliefs have their origins in good old fashioned jew-bashing.

the anti-israel beliefs have their origines in the fact that they commit terrorism on a large scale and are engaging in a brutal occupation, ethnic cleansing and large scale land theft.
    Certainly here in Ireland, it is almost with religious fervor that people don't look at the middle east cluster**** objectively and just jump on the anti-Israeli bandwagon.

nope. most people do see things for what they are.
    Ask yourself, why are you so anti-Israel?

it's very simple. large scale land theft, ethnic cleansing, commiting of mass-terrorism, breaking international and human rights law on a massive scale, deliberate targeting of civilians and more.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The Israeli army are well know for their violent acts especially against those that are weaker or cannot fight back so striking a full armed soldier is a pretty heroic act. There are countless instances of Israeli soldiers beating or murdering unarmed civilians many of them children. Even if the child is not beaten or shot they are often subjected to long periods of internment without a proper trial followed by a long stretch in an Israeli prison outside the west bank with little opportunity for family visits. So taking all that into consideration a young girl tackling an the Israeli military is very brave.

Most pro-Islamic-terrorism/anti-Israel beliefs have their origins in good old fashioned jew-bashing.

Any evidence for this bald statement or did you just make it up?

Certainly here in Ireland, it is almost with religious fervor that people don't look at the middle east cluster**** objectively and just jump on the anti-Israeli bandwagon. Ask yourself, why are you so anti-Israel?

Because Israel ethnically cleansed people from their land and continues to steal land and build settlements despite international condemnation. In pursuit of their goal they have murdered and maimed adults, children and have destroyed any ability to build a peaceful and just accord. Recently with new laws they have condemned non Jews to a lesser class of human.

Ask yourself why would anyone support such a sectarian state as Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No civilised country puts a 15 yo in jail. I am a supporter of Israel's rights but not at the expense of others.

• Advertisement

The way people will just latch onto one ideology and never stray from it (in case it looks like they agree with them ones over there) even when it makes no sense, is just... how hard is it to consider things from more than one "side"? :confused:

Ssssh, less of that balanced approah. In this debate everyone is either a pro-Islamist, anti-semitic, terrorism apologist or a pro-Zionist, Islamophobic, apartheid apologist. You will nail your colours firmly to one mast and do so happily, damn you! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Anybody who does support Israel supports them because they are good at killing Muslims. Sad.

Absolute bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

ha. Comedy time, is it?

Why anti-Israel? Because it engages in colonialism, unhindered by international law because of the US veto.

Absolute bollix
    I think that was Franz's point - that that's what the "Critics of Israeli military policy are anti semitic" line amounts to. Simplistic, presumptuous... and bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I would like to see Donald or Hector's reaction when confronted by an armed Israeli soldier.

I think it would be a brown trousers scenario.

Went over your head there Rambo

Luckily they managed to get this one before she was big enough to slap back..brave lads that they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Absolute bollix

Truth. Why else support this middle eastern state that hates the west? That won’t let you immigrate there

Except for it’s ability to kill Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And anyone that supports the Palestinians because they are the "Good Guys" is ****ing delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Surely you're taking the piss/ trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sarah Silverman isn't funny

xtal191 wrote: »

Bit too "edgy" for the sake of it betimes, but shes not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

We got an anti-semite up in here :pac:

Truth. Why else support this middle eastern state.

I can think of many, that it's the only state in the middle east that doesn't discriminate and criminilise homosexuality is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I dont admire her.
    What has she done to be admired? Solving violence with violence isnt admirable.

And anyone that supports the Palestinians because they are the "Good Guys" is ****ing delusion.
    Too many innocent ones suffer because of the Israeli military's insanely excessive force though - that is quite simply the reason many are so condemning of it.

There will of course be anti semitics among the critics, and the "against everything" crowd, but people should just forget about those when forming their views, and think for themselves. It's a fact that the Israeli military uses appalling tactics - that is quite simply the only reason why I and others are critical of them, nothing more. It isn't radical stuff at all.

• Advertisement

I can think of many, that it's the only state in the middle east that doesn't discriminate and criminilise homosexuality is one.

....you know they blackmail gay palestinians into becoming informers? Or do they not count?

https://972mag.com/why-i-wont-be-participating-in-tel-avivs-pride-parade/107499/

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/av8b5j/gay-palestinians-are-being-blackmailed-into-working-as-informants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

She had a good joke post 9/11. Everyone wanted revenge and justice brought down on bin Laden. So she said she registered the email address 'OsamabinLaden@...' So now he would have to use the email OsamabinLaden1@...'

I dont admire her.
    What has she done to be admired? Solving violence with violence isnt admirable.

She stood up to the IDF, when this kind of thing can happen with no provocation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/nov/24/israel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Not sure why we should admire her. She is a well known activist in the area and the partakes in the weekly confrontation that her village holds against the Israelis. She assaulted an Israeli soldier and she has been punished for doing so. Nothing more to her apart from that.

Odhinn wrote: »

Eh, you know I'm talking about Israel right? Palestine has horrendous attitudes toward the LGBT community.

The second link you posted directly relates to gay Palestinians being blackmailed by Palestinian authorities or did you just read the headline and not the article?

While his sexuality remains hidden from his direct family, Saif said local Palestinian Authority police are aware and keep files on him and other homosexuals, blackmailing them into working as spies and informants.

• Advertisement

Eh, you know I'm talking about Israel right? Palestine has horrendous attitudes toward the LGBT community.

Yes, Israel. They blackmail gay palestinians into becoming informers etc - its gone into some detail in the links I provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

She is a terrorist scumbag.

Yes, Israel. They blackmail gay palestinians into becoming informers etc - its gone into some detail in the links I provided.

You might want to read your second link again chief.

Exactly, yet the anti semitic jew hating main stream media will portray this nazi scumbag **** as a hero.

And boards mentally ill leftist twats will clap along .

disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Careful now you don't want to make a comment about the "jew hating left"or you'll get a weeks holiday from after hours like I did on the other thread!

Careful now you don't want to make a comment about the "jew hating left"or you'll get a weeks holiday from after hours like I did on the other thread!

Shhhhh!! don't you know ? it's cool and progressive to hate jews nowadays!!!

But if you critisize Islam you are a far right neo nazi .... jesus just typing that I can't believe it's actually true in 2018 - god help us all :confused:

You might want to read your second link again chief.

I thought that second link referred to both sides.

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-idf-gays-who-help-blackmail-gays-1.5305326

"The story was widely told as part of the media’s coverage of a refusal letter by veterans from Israel’s elite intelligence unit, Unit 8200, in September 2014. According to those who signed the letter, which announced their refusal to continue serving in the reserves, Israeli intelligence and security services systematically used the sexual orientation of West Bank Palestinians in order to blackmail and threaten them."
    https://972mag.com/why-i-wont-be-participating-in-tel-avivs-pride-parade/107499/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ha. Comedy time, is it?

Why anti-Israel? Because it engages in colonialism, unhindered by international law because of the US veto.

Just clarify something for me that you are the same poster who closed the Nodin account a few years back. I just want to know I'm dealing with the same poster. I am not trolling I want to bring up something Nodin said on the subject of Israel. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Luckily they managed to get this one before she was big enough to slap back..brave lads that they are

Im waiting for the "Instant karma" follow up video with 2 successful headshots from a Hamas sniper

god help us all :confused:

Your god can't help you Kafir 😉

• Advertisement
Advertisement