Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding Coat in old socket

Options
  • 29-07-2018 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I have a query. I recently had a plasterer out to quote a small job in my kitchen. He recommended that I could fill in an unused socket with Bonding Coat and he'd then be able to skim over this. As you can see in the photo, this is an old socket which was moved. It was originally tiled over. the wires are all sealed.

Is it safe to fill this with bonding coat? I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything dangerous or something that could cause electrical problems in the future.

456981.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It looks like it has been turned into a junction box. If live this would be inadvisable and this needs to be made safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

2011 wrote: »
    It looks like it has been turned into a junction box. If live this would be inadvisable and this needs to be made safe.

OK thanks. Yeah, I'm not too keen to be putting in a solution of bonding mix over wires, especially if an electrical fault occurred and I couldn't get access. Is there anything else that can be done here so that a plasterer can plaster over it? Currently there's a plastic cover screwed on over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote:

Could he chip away at the plaster & fit a blank plate over it and skim it then?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Could he chip away at the plaster & fit a blank plate over it and skim it then?

1) Not a proper join.
    2) Against the regulations as there is no indication that there are live cables in the wall.

Advertisement