Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike A licence

Options
  • 29-07-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys. I have a honda spirit 1100. It's 49 kw. You need 50 kw for an A licence. Will they accept it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No. It might get by if the tester doesn't check it meets the criteria but if they do you will not be allowed do the test. Hire a bike from a school, do you want the extra stress on the day of the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cia

Del2005 wrote: »
    No. It might get by if the tester doesn't check it meets the criteria but if they do you will not be allowed do the test. Hire a bike from a school, do you want the extra stress on the day of the test?

Problem is. I have to use a cruiser. I've got knee limitations. Can only ride cruisers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 NoraWi

yes, they should accept your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

When I did my test last summer they were pretty strict about the power of the bikes.
    despite my bike being 800cc they nearly wouldn't test me unless I had a document proving it was over 50kwh, was by chance my tester was in a good humour and willing to google the bikes power output.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

NoraWi wrote: »
    yes, they should accept your request.

Not to allow him to test on a bike under the minimum kw they won't.

Op not a hope they fail people on that immediately, you'll see multiple storys if you have a look.
    Rent a bike, you can surely ride a bandit or fazer for 45 min to an hour?

• Advertisement

try using an Enduro / Dual sports bike,
    They have an upright sitting position which I find more comfortable to use than a normal bike position.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Been lots of confusion over this and it's sort of self inflicted by them as a lot of registration certs are marked 55555555KW on the (P2) section of the cert which is the engine max power (kw), if the bike you are doing your test on is not listed they sometimes require a letter from a dealer stating the kw power.

DD

Duke Dan wrote: »
    Been lots of confusion over this and it's sort of self inflicted by them as a lot of registration certs are marked 55555555KW on the (P2) section of the cert which is the engine max power (kw), if the bike you are doing your test on is not listed they sometimes require a letter from a dealer stating the kw power.

DD

Its a pain in the hole i got one due to the incredible 5555555kw power of my cbr according to Shannon, guess what he never look at the cert from the dealer, ah you're grand..... sound pal that wasn't a waste of money at all.

In the case of bikes that are under the kw requirements though it doesn't matter they won't test it, many have changed it and been turned away.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Its a pain in the hole i got one due to the incredible 5555555kw power of my cbr according to Shannon, guess what he never look at the cert from the dealer, ah you're grand..... sound pal that wasn't a waste of money at all.

In the case of bikes that are under the kw requirements though it doesn't matter they won't test it, many have changed it and been turned away.

Yes a lot of people have been turned away because of this which is a farce as 55555555 is unacceptable to be listed on the VRC.

Of course if you had people that understood motorcycles it wouldn't be a problem....or then again a quick check of google would confirm but that's hard work for some of the people!!!

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bear in mind the testers are mostly bikers and know their job, most of them won't need a cert to know what category a bike is in. And the system is black and white for the most part, 49 is not 50.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Bear in mind the testers are mostly bikers and know their job, most of them won't need a cert to know what category a bike is in. And the system is black and white for the most part, 49 is not 50.

I have heard of 55555555 being listed on a GSXR750 VRC and being turned away so they are not that well educated:mad:

DD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Duke Dan wrote: »
    I have heard of 55555555 being listed on a GSXR750 VRC and being turned away so they are not that well educated:mad:

DD

Well that's hearsay for starters. But that said, this sounds like someone who is 100% by the book and not necessarily lacking intelligence/ education, you can be lucky or unlucky with how the testers approach this rule and the rules do say the logbook is the go to. But this doesn't help the op, even with a correct logbook his bike doesn't meet the requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

From a Cork point of view, the regular bike tester here is a biker himself and knows his stuff, he was a thorough gent but went by book, as is his job to do.

Well that's hearsay for starters. But that said, this sounds like someone who is 100% by the book and not necessarily lacking intelligence/ education, you can be lucky or unlucky with how the testers approach this rule and the rules do say the logbook is the go to. But this doesn't help the op, even with a correct logbook his bike doesn't meet the requirements.

Part of that is probably coming down to, the tester doesn't know if the bike is restricted or not, so has to go by what the log book says.
    Am I right in saying that when a bike is restricted its listed in the logbook?

It's an ongoing issue in Dublin anyway and I have heard of several cases of it so call it jobs worth or lack of education it should not happen.

DD

The official standing is that the correct kw output must be on the logbook or on headed paper by an authorised importer/dealer.
    An awful lot of testers haven't a clue about bikes outside of testing riders on them. Some show discretion others go by the book. Some obviously are bikers themselves and probably know more about the bike than a lot of bike owners.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    The official standing is that the correct kw output must be on the logbook or on headed paper by an authorised importer/dealer.
    An awful lot of testers haven't a clue about bikes outside of testing riders on them. Some show discretion others go by the book. Some obviously are bikers themselves and probably know more about the bike than a lot of bike owners.

And there the problem lies - there have been cases of people turning up and turned away from their test re the 55555555kw which isn't fair.

A new list also needs to be complied that they can revert to, the old list hasn't even got current models listed.

Some of the schools are having problems with the 600cc's too.

DD

Advertisement