Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you stand by him?

• 29-07-2018 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭

If a man in your life was accused of rape and it ended up in court. Be it a partner/friend/brother/son/friend/etc. Would you stand by him?
    I ask this because I have heard some people say no woman would put themselves through a trial if it didn't happen.
    Well obviously it would depend on the person but if they told me they didn't do it. I'd believe them. If there was a lot of evidence I might change my mind and some people I might be more dodge of than others.
    I know this question can be turned the other way also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If he admitted it absolutely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Well obviously it would depend on the person but if they told me they didn't do it. I'd believe them.

That's strange, because they would have a huge incentive to lie if they had done it. Why do you think you're special in that a rapist wouldn't lie to you? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I know if my partner was accused of rape I'd stand by her once she told me the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Other way?

i.e. Would you stand by a man if he wasn't accused of rape?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

If he said he didn't do it, I would be able to see if he was telling lies or not. Depending, I would or would not be standing by him.

When the OH is telling porkies (which happens from time to time), I just know.

I know if my partner was accused of rape I'd stand by her once she told me the truth.

Your missus did some bold things to me

I told her no

She wouldn't stop

What's worse is that she does them every time I come over.

Which is a few times a week

Basically whenever you're not about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Other way?

i.e. Would you stand by a man if he wasn't accused of rape?

:eek:

I meant more so would you believe a female friend/etc who said she was raped.

That's strange, because they would have a huge incentive to lie if they had done it. Why do you think you're special in that a rapist wouldn't lie to you? :confused:

As I said it would depend on the person but some people I know when they are lying and others I find hard to believe because I know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I told her no

She wouldn't stop

Thats very unfunny. Not offensive or edgy or anything. Just very very unfunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Pearsons is open ?

eviltwin wrote: »
    If he admitted it absolutely not.

If he said he was innocent tough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

It really depends on the circumstances and the evidence and whether I believe he did it or not. If I felt he did it or the evidence was overwhelming then I don't think I could stand by him.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Thats very unfunny. Not offensive or edgy or anything. Just very very unfunny.

Life isn't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

So, you wouldn't support your son/brother/best friend if they were accused of a crime?
    Would you go to court with them etc?

Patww79 wrote: »

Sorry I must have misread the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Patww79 wrote:

A person being found guilty of a crime doesn't always mean the person is guilty. If a brother or son or whoever swore blind to me that they were innocent of said crime, and if I believed them, I don't know that a guilty verdict would change that belief.

Now if its PROVEN to be guilty, that's different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I told her no

She wouldn't stop

Is this an attempt at humour? Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

If a man in your life was accused of rape and it ended up in court. Be it a partner/friend/brother/son/friend/etc. Would you stand by him?
    I ask this because I have heard some people say no woman would put themselves through a trial if it didn't happen.
    Well obviously it would depend on the person but if they told me they didn't do it. I'd believe them. If there was a lot of evidence I might change my mind and some people I might be more dodge of than others.

If it was my partner I'd know if he was lying or not. If he did it it would be bye bye. He'd be dead to me. If I knew he was telling the truth and didn't do it of course I'd stand by him. Same with a friend. No male relatives.

If a partner or friend lied to me and it turned out he was guilty of rape of course it would be the end of the relationship/friendship. What normal sane person would want to stay in a relationship/stay friends with a convicted rapist? :confused:

Greentopia wrote: »

If a partner or friend lied to me and it turned out he was guilty of rape of course it would be the end of the relationship/friendship. What normal sane person would want to stay in a relationship/stay friends with a convicted rapist? :confused:

That's actually a very good point. You often hear of people standing by convicted rapists in prison and when they get released.
    I can't think of anybody I know who's being convicted of rape but I can think of somebody who's son was caught with a large amount of drugs. They'd have had the attitude jail him for life/etc but when it was their son it was totally different.
    (I know these are different situations)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If he said he was innocent tough?

I don't know tbh, I don't think it's as simple as just standing by them.

I have personal experience of this, a sibling was jailed for a sex offence. He denied it at first and I believed him because we were very close and I didn't think he was capable of such a thing. He later admitted he was guilty and it turned out his actions were more serious than we first thought so I'm never going to have complete faith in anyone again.

Every rapist is a son, brother, partner etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I told her no

She wouldn't stop

You are getting to be worse than the that real AHole in the white house. Not funny. Yawwwwwn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Patww79 wrote:

Presumably he's posting from his phone on the app and when you tap a post to quote it, it picks each paragraph separately. Bad glitch of the app.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote:

Didn't think I did. It does it on the phone sometimes. But thanks for going to the effort of correcting me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If he said he didn't do it, I would be able to see if he was telling lies or not. Depending, I would or would not be standing by him.

When the OH is telling porkies (which happens from time to time), I just know.

Porkies are a bit different to when he is fighting for his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Life isn't funny.

You didn't go see Bill Burr a couple of weeks back?

Fair enough. I have been meaning to to ask Donald when he is going to get bored of the unfunny schtick for a while also.

Edit. See in this case the phone dropped your quote completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

if they were a good friend (I've about 5) or close family. I'd stand by them regardless.
    You can support somebody and still find the crime abhorrent and be vocal on your feeling regarding the crime

If we all rejected people cos of their crimes (or alleged crimes) you pretty much close the door on any rehabilitation and that does nobody any good.

On a personal level , I find it hard to judge somebody's entire worth based on one event , be that good or bad, if I've known them before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

blade1 wrote: »
    Porkies are a bit different to when he is fighting for his life.

Obviously ! Can tell when he (or anyone I know well) is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Life isn't funny.

Ah it is. You're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

It really depends on the situation. Like for people who are child abusers, they are very secretive and manipulative when it comes to their victims and have them terrified into silence. And to the outside world they can be pillars of the community. They have everyone deceived, to the point that family members are shocked and can't/won't believe it. So I think saying "I'd know if s/he was lying to me" is an incredibly naive attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

paw patrol wrote: »
    if they were a good friend (I've about 5) or close family. I'd stand by them regardless.
    You can support somebody and still find the crime abhorrent and be vocal on your feeling regarding the crime

If we all rejected people cos of their crimes (or alleged crimes) you pretty much close the door on any rehabilitation and that does nobody any good.

On a personal level , I find it hard to judge somebody's entire worth based on one event , be that good or bad, if I've known them before that.

I was trying to find the right words to express my own opinion, but you've summarised it very well.
    To me personally, it would far, far less depend on if they were guilty of what they're accused off, or if they admitted it. It would, if guilty, fully depend on how they behave now. Is he truly remorseful? Is he trying to make amends? Is he taking steps (counseling, for example, or stopping to drink if that played a part) to try and ensure it would never happen again?
    Horrendous as it is, I don't think I would give up on someone I loved quite that easily.

Repeated offense, though, that would be very, very different indeed.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Ah it is. You're not.

I suppose it's hard to be jovial what with all the sand in your gee :D

• Advertisement

Oh, yippee - another keyboard warrior

Do you know what irony is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A person being found guilty of a crime doesn't always mean the person is guilty. If a brother or son or whoever swore blind to me that they were innocent of said crime, and if I believed them, I don't know that a guilty verdict would change that belief.

Now if its PROVEN to be guilty, that's different.

If you are found guilty it's because it has been proven, let's not have this innocent/not guilty nonsense again on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you are found guilty it's because it has been proven, let's not have this innocent/not guilty nonsense again on here.

Right, that's the reason we don't have some process in place to appeal a judgement, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

If the man denied guilt then why wouldn't your stand by him?

You're just not funny. That's all.

I'm not here for your entertainment pal

You'll only be here for a little bit until they figure out why you were banned the last time anyway

:pac:

Do you know what irony is?

Look it up there yourself

Look it up there yourself

Hmm. Maybe you are the real Donald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If a man in your life was accused of rape and it ended up in court. Be it a partner/friend/brother/son/friend/etc. Would you stand by him? I ask this because I have heard some people say no woman would put themselves through a trial if it didn't happen. Well obviously it would depend on the person but if they told me they didn't do it. I'd believe them. If there was a lot of evidence I might change my mind and some people I might be more dodge of than others. I know this question can be turned the other way also.

I would stand by anyone in court as they are innocent till proven guilty. If convicted though that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

I've been in this situation, I didn't stand by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,254 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Shenshen wrote: »
    Right, that's the reason we don't have some process in place to appeal a judgement, is it?
    Are you saying men have never been falsely imprisoned?

If you are found guilty then you are proven guilty.
    I didn't say it means you did it.
    Just that there is no difference between found and proven guilty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement