Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyHeritageDNA

Options
  • 29-07-2018 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am adopted and in my 40s. After getting no response from my birth mother I decided this year to do a dna test to see what it would show. The results on MYHeritage show a 1st cousin once removed. I haven't made contact yet as I don't know what to say. Is this unusual to get a match this close, has anyone else been in this position? I transferred the results in to GEDMATCH and there is a match there at MRCA 3, from the scant details I would guess maybe a great Aunt or Great Grand Aunt. There are other cousin matches at a more distant level on heritage, some with vast family trees which might prove useful at some point. I am cautious as I don't want to open a can of worms. Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What is the number of shared centimorgans? Brad Bettinger's chart will help you determine possible relationships.

The relationship given is usually a guide rather than a definite. Two of my first cousins once removed shows up as a second cousin on Ancestry's tests, as does a genuine second cousin.

I'd prepare a short message to the close match along these lines - remember that they may not be very active on the site. Give your email address in the message in case for some reason they cannot use the messaging system.

Hi X

MyHeritage estimates we are first cousins once removed.
    I am adopted and know XYZ about my birth parentage.
    Does any of this sound familiar to you?
    I would appreciate your help in narrowing this connection down.

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JaneyMac2

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What is the number of shared centimorgans? will help you determine possible relationships.

The relationship given is usually a guide rather than a definite. Two of my first cousins once removed shows up as a second cousin on Ancestry's tests, as does a genuine second cousin.

I'd prepare a short message to the close match along these lines - remember that they may not be very active on the site. Give your email address in the message in case for some reason they cannot use the messaging system.

Hi X

MyHeritage estimates we are first cousins once removed.
    I am adopted and know XYZ about my birth parentage.
    Does any of this sound familiar to you?
    I would appreciate your help in narrowing this connection down.

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Thanks for the reply. There are 279cm shared. There's been activity in the past few months so I'll send a short message. Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you need any more help on the research side, we're very friendly in the Genealogy forum!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement