Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuing Books

• 29-07-2018 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a load of books which I am sorting though.

Is there any recommended website for valuing books? I suspect most of them are pretty worthless, but I'd like to run a check through them nonetheless.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I should say also that I've got about 50 books to get rid of. Most in average to good condition. No first editions and mostly paperbacks. Variety of subjects and authors.

Is there anything I can do to sell these and get some money on them rather than give them away? Most of these would be from print runs during the 70's, with a few from earlier. Minimal would be later dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Sites like Abebooks.co.uk and eBay.co.uk are probably the most useful but bear in mind what a dealer is asking on Abe is inflated and BIN prices on eBay should be avoided - only books actually selling in an eBay auction will give you any sort of an idea. Stick up a few pictures of anything you think might have a value and I'll do my best. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know if there's an official "book-valuing" facility as such, but you could check what's an average price for books like yours and in similar conditions on abebooks.com.

EDIT: Beaten to it. :)

Hello - this is the first batch which I've put through eBay to check the prices there.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree. As you can see most of the books are old, but I would say that except where stated they are in reasonable/good condition for their age.

Thoughts?

Running Blind Desmond Bagley 1978 £3.00
    Not After Midnight Daphne Du Maurier 1972 £5.00
    The Eagle Has Landed Jack Higgins 1976 £1.00
    Why We Can't Wait Martin Luther King Jr 1964 £5.00
    Farewell Companions James Plunkett 1978 £1.00
    Papillon Henri Charriere 1971 £3.00
    Curtain of Fear Dennis Wheatley 1965 £3.00
    Gold Mine Wilbur Smith 1972 £2.00 Excellent
    Carver's Kingdom Frederick Nolan 1979 £3.00
    Seawolf - Shark Pack Bruno Krauss 1978 £3.00
    Home Before Night Hugh Leonard 1981 £3.00
    Cigarette End Dr Carola Halhuber 1978 £7.00
    The Silver Sword Ian Serraillier 1961 £1.00 Poor
    £40.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hello - this is the first batch which I've put through eBay to check the prices there.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree. As you can see most of the books are old, but I would say that except where stated they are in reasonable/good condition for their age.

Thoughts?

Running Blind Desmond Bagley 1978 £3.00
    Not After Midnight Daphne Du Maurier 1972 £5.00
    The Eagle Has Landed Jack Higgins 1976 £1.00
    Why We Can't Wait Martin Luther King Jr 1964 £5.00
    Farewell Companions James Plunkett 1978 £1.00
    Papillon Henri Charriere 1971 £3.00
    Curtain of Fear Dennis Wheatley 1965 £3.00
    Gold Mine Wilbur Smith 1972 £2.00 Excellent
    Carver's Kingdom Frederick Nolan 1979 £3.00
    Seawolf - Shark Pack Bruno Krauss 1978 £3.00
    Home Before Night Hugh Leonard 1981 £3.00
    Cigarette End Dr Carola Halhuber 1978 £7.00
    The Silver Sword Ian Serraillier 1961 £1.00 Poor
    £40.00

Paperbacks unless they are something very scarce have little value and I feel that you would be wasting your time putting these on eBay. Sell as a job lot - collection only - on Adverts.ie but if it were me, I would give them to my local charity shop. Sorry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Have a chat with Chapters, too - I don't know how much you'd get off them, but it's worth a shot (as long as you are in Dublin, or near enough to it).

That's what I was thinking - I just don't want to throw out something valuable without checking first.
    I'd gladly throw them into a charity shop if I know they were not valuable - any sign of money and I'm straight off to Bonhams! :D

Advertisement