Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of the word mongo or versions of it.

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Offensive to whom though, G.R.? There was an extensive discussion on this subject on the R&R feedback thread a while back and I'll repeat now what I said then because I feel very strongly about it: to censor words that have been used in a context that is extremely obviously not meant in any kind of offensive manner is censorship for censorship's sake.

If I post in R&R on Monday saying "I'm such a retard, I forgot it was a bank holiday and got up and went to work" are you going to edit that too???

As has been said over and over and over in both this thread and the R&R one, context is EVERYTHING. If someone uses the word mong to refer to someone with Down Syndrome then that's an obvious carding, imo. But someone saying "Some mongo drove straight through a red light in front of me earlier" then I honestly can't see how anyone could think they're saying anything other than that a gobsh*te cut them off on the road.

And where does it stop? I find the use of the word "female" instead of woman offensive, are we going to start editing out all instances of that now too if I report them?

A bit of cop on would go a long way in this regard. It's flippin' R&R we're talking about here, if people aren't actively trolling or trying to offend then I think there's precious little to be worrying about.

Ok, it appears I may have acted rashly here.

I did read back through that feedback thread, and tbh i couldn't really tell what the majority wanted one way or another.

When discussed with another mod, they said they were originally of the same mind set as me, but having discussed it with someone who is effected by it, they changed their mind.

At that stage, I edited the post and posted back here.

Having discussed it a little further, the other mod clarified that she actually doesn't know if it is our place to decide what's offensive or not, so we are gonna throw it open to the R&R community to decide via a poll, which I'm going to set up now in a few minutes. I'll post back here with the link.

For the record, I'm of the same mind set as you - I don't think we should be censoring any insults at all, especially in R&R, so long as they are not directed towards some one in a nasty way. (Not a great way of describing it - basically call the guy who cut you off in traffic a mong all you want, don't call someone with Down Syndrome a mong. That's my take on it).

Anyway, apologies for acting too quickly. Let's get it resolved now

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Thread is up here for anyone who wants to participate

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057898572#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Going to be honest i never expected such a diversity of opinion when i started this thread. My concern was purely related to using the word as an insult. The word mong came about as a way of describing people with intellectual disabilities. It implies that they are slow/stupid,idiots. It exists as an insult for this reason, therefore by using it to insult someone you are implying that that person is also slow/stupid,idiots i.e. just like a person with an intellectual disability. That is why i raised my concerns in this thread.

I would argue that words like moron, lunatic have evolved beyond their original use and are no longer so closely associated with disabilities. However, mong has not (i believe), it is the same with retard, it is no longer seen as an acceptable way to describe or insult someone precisely because it is so closely linked to disability. Yes, it has other meanings but like so many others have said it's about context.

If you call someone a mong then, imo, you are inferring they have an intellectual disability because that is what the word means in the context of an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Here's another thought.

If the word isn't censored and I call someone a mong I can be infracted/banned.

If the word is filtered and I call someone a mong all you see is **** so basically boards would be protecting the insulter not the insultee. Maybe we should add it to the filter. I can call people **** all day long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Owryan wrote: »
    Yes, it has other meanings but like so many others have said it's about context.

If you call someone a mong then, imo, you are inferring they have an intellectual disability because that is what the word means in the context of an insult.
    No - you cannot acknowledge that a word has other meanings and that context is important, and at the same time say that whenever you call someone you are inferring they have an active intellectual disability.

That literally does not make sense. You cannot have it both ways.

The nowadays meaning - as this thread has shown - is similar to idiot. I think you need to accept this fact. No slur on disabled people is intended, and if you choose to impute one, and if you choose to get offended by it, that's your problem, not everyone else's.

To argue a word should be banned because of a 19th century connotation only a minority of people are aware of is political correctness overdone, pure and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Owryan wrote: »
    Going to be honest i never expected such a diversity of opinion when i started this thread. My concern was purely related to using the word as an insult

Diversity?

So you just thought everybody was offended by the word?

Some people dont think it should be censored just because you are offended by its use....thats your issue, an issue that should rest with you and not affect other users.

If this type of nonsense is adhered to, boards will become sterile because everyone will be campaigning to get rid of whatever offends them.

Its ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

How 2018, lets get our censorship in place. OP i have also heard people with down syndrome being called potatoes, i think we should also ban this. Maybe we could do up a full list of all words that offend and sticky it on all forums.

While we are at it, assuming gender and not using the right pro-nouns should also be banned.

Lets build our safe space :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Calhoun wrote: »
    How 2018, lets get our censorship in place. OP i have also heard people with down syndrome being called potatoes, i think we should also ban this. Maybe we could do up a full list of all words that offend and sticky it on all forums.

While we are at it, assuming gender and not using the right pro-nouns should also be banned.

Lets build our safe space :)
    I'm offended by the use of the word pronoun, we should respect the entitlement of words to be both pro- and anti-noun.

I'm also offended by the use of gender, as we should make provision for the use of gendhim too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm also offended by the use of gender, as we should make provision for the use of gendhim too.
    If this becomes the birthplace of the words "Gendhim", "Gendher" or "Gendneuter" I'll get Liam Neeson to do the looking, finding and killing thing on you.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Guys - this is the Feedback forum, and while good natured humour is always appreciated, it would be good to contribute actual feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement