Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car purchase question

• 29-07-2018 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When buying a car from a dealer, how much time does it usually take to drive the car home after paying for it?

I'm asking because I would like to buy a car from a dealer who is far from my place, and would like to take a mechanic with me for the pre purchase inspection. If I like the car and the mechanic doesn't find any issues with it, I'd like the buy it and take it back with me.

Would that be possible or I should wait until the car transfer paperwork are done by the dealer?

Also, since I currently don't have any car insurance, are dealers able to provide any kind of temporary insurance so that I can drive it back home or should I ask someone who have a valid car insurance that covers driving third party cars in order to drive my car home?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

My case, as I bought my car recently from a dealer ~ 60km away from home: paid a deposit on Saturday, and the car was dropped at my place on Monday. They took care of transferring the ownership // I got my insurance transferred after the car arrived in front of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should be able to drive the car away from the dealer's once they receive full payment or your loan/finance has been approved and you have arranged insurance cover.

There is no insurance company here who offers a temporary policy so the dealer will not be able to help you with that. You should arrange to take out an insurance policy on the car prior to collecting it, just agree with the insurance company to start the cover when you are scheduled to collect the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Amouar

bazz26 wrote: »
    You should be able to drive the car away from the dealer's once they receive full payment or your loan/finance has been approved and you have arranged insurance cover.

There is no insurance company here who offers a temporary policy so the dealer will not be able to help you with that. You should arrange to take out an insurance policy on the car prior to collecting it, just agree with the insurance company to start the cover when you are scheduled to collect the car.

Would I be able to drive the car home without an insurance disc as long as I have proof of insurance coverage after paying for insurance online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Amouar wrote: »
    Would I be able to drive the car home without an insurance disc as long as I have proof of insurance coverage after paying for insurance online?

Yes dealer won't care. Best to carry proof of insurance with you in case you are stopped by Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Amouar wrote: »

do you not have an insurance now ? have you been in contact with a broker/insurance company - i'd think you would need to confirm everything with them anyway: dealer won't care, but the insurance company would.

in my scenario, the car was insured under the dealer's policy while their staff was driving my future car to my place.

• Advertisement

So to summarize this is normally what I do:

1. Chose the car you are buying and put a deposit on it with the dealer and arrange with the dealer to come back a few days later with the remainder of the money and collect the car.
    2. Then go and arrange insurance to start on the agreed day you are collecting the car from the dealer. Insurance company will then send you an email confirming your cover, policy number, etc.
    3. Collect the car on the arranged day and keep a printout of the insurance email with you until your insurance disc and certificate arrive in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yes dealer won't care. Best to carry proof of insurance with you in case you are stopped by Gardai.

I was told by my insurance agent that if I was stop by the Garda with no insurance disc, they give you two weeks to produce it.

It's 10 days to produce the cart but if they suspect the driver is telling porkies and the car is not insured then they can either try to verify with the insurance company or failing that they can impound the car.

Advertisement