Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The EFL Thread 2018/2019 - Championship/League 1/League 2

• 29-07-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EFL-football-league2.png

Well with only 5 days to go until the new EFL season kicks off with Reading hosting Frank Lampard's Derby County in the Championship, I thought it would be a good idea to get this going.

Rumour has it that League One is where all the cool kids are hanging out this season! :p

Championship

Promotion
    Stoke 2/1
    West Brom 11/4
    Boro 3/1
    Leeds 15/4
    Swansea/Forest/Villa/Derby all 4/1

Relegation
    Rotherham 5/4
    Bolton 11/8
    Ipswich 7/2
    QPR/Reading/Hull 5/1
    Blackburn 6/1
    Birmingham 7/1

League 1

Promotion
    Sunderland 1/1 (you'd want to be insane to take that price, FWIW)
    Barnsley 11/4
    Charlton 9/2
    Portsmouth 23/5
    Peterborough 5/1
    Scunthorpe 6/1

Relegation
    Accrington 13/10
    Wycombe 6/4
    Gillingham 15/8
    Walsall 2/1
    AFC Wimbledon 28/11
    Blackpool 7/2

League 2

Promotion
    MK Dons 7/4
    Notts County 2/1
    Mansfield 9/4
    Lincoln 5/2
    Northampton/Swindon 3/1
    Bury 7/2

Relegation
    Morecambe 5/2
    Macclesfield 4/1
    Yeovil 9/2
    Forest Green/Crawley 8/1
    Cheltenham/Crewe/Newport 9/1

Initial Live Fixtures (all listed fixtures on Sky Sports)

Friday 3rd August
    Reading vs Derby County (8pm, Championship)

Saturday 4th August
    Sunderland vs Charlton (12:30pm, League 1)
    Sheffield United vs Swansea City (5:30pm, Championship)

Monday 6th August
    Hull vs Villa (7:45pm, Championship)

Tuesday 7th August
    Nottingham Forest vs West Brom (7:45pm, Championship)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leeds v Stoke is on Sunday at 4.30pm too. Odd to see Leeds so high up the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Mushy wrote: »

Barry Douglas just in the door from Wolves was the best left back in the league last year.

Bamford soon to join is an elite striker at Championship level.

They have a decent squad as is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Derby Co to finally go back up - or get relegated. Seriously though Lampard seems to have put together a decent collection of bright young things on loan from Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mushy wrote: »

Cheers. Not sure how I missed that. I’ll look forward to watching it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No idea why Wolves sold Douglas. Very good LB last year sweet left foot from set pieces.

• Advertisement

Forest Green Rovers are officially carbon neutral, not sure if it'll help then survive the drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Northampton Town to bounce straight back to the glamour of League One, or go out of business.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As a Blackburn fan I'd take 21st place now if offered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

As a Blackburn fan I'd take 21st place now if offered it.

Hardly. You lot should be comfortably mid table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

MD1990 wrote: »
    No idea why Wolves sold Douglas. Very good LB last year sweet left foot from set pieces.

Very good acquisition by Leeds and an awful lot of Wolves fans are not happy about him being sold. Still think they'll fall short on getting promoted and Derby will flop like they always do. It's going to be an incredibly competition division this year. Finding it very hard to pick a top six.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bielsa was a train wreck at Lille last season. Can't see that relationship ending well. Wouldn't shock me if he's gone by Christmas along with Leeds' promotion hopes. I do agree Douglas is an excellent acquisition all the same.

Bielsa was a train wreck at Lille last season. Can't see that relationship ending well. Wouldn't shock me if he's gone by Christmas along with Leeds' promotion hopes. I do agree Douglas is an excellent acquisition all the same.

Could really go either way alright, but nice to have somebody with a bit more pedigree than previous managers at least.

A reminder that Reading v Derby is live on Sky Sports tonight.

Kick off 8pm.

Also a reminder that the EFL highlights are on Quest tomorrow night at 9 PM in glorious HD.

Lampard's tactics getting schooled here - trying to be Man City in the Championship. Reading are pressing the feck out of them and they play into danger trying to beat it on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How on Earth did you post that before kickoff?
    Reading 1-0 up, Frank will have to sort things out quickly at Derby. They look awful tonight.

eagle eye wrote: »
    How on Earth did you post that before kickoff?
    Reading 1-0 up, Frank will have to sort things out quickly at Derby. They look awful tonight.

Edited post, was only first paragraph earlier.

Trio of Irishmen playing under Clement, nice to see

1 1

Well Derby got it together in the final 15-20 minutes and get the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well Derby got it together in the final 15-20 minutes and get the win

Derby very lucky, great goall. Lampard has a long season ahead of him ( and me)
    Still thrilled with the 3 points though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Anyone have a list of Irish players in the lower leagues and who they’re playing for? Anyone exciting to be looking out for?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Paully D wrote: »
    Rumour has it that League One is where all the cool kids are hanging out this season! :p

Indeed...Coventry are going to badly miss Mark McNulty. Should've been 2-0 or 3-0 up before being pegged back and losing..

Northampton got off to their usual start, home defeat. Supposedly had multiple chances to win the game but failed to score, Lincoln had one and buried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quest are showing the Championship/Football League highlights tonight at 9pm, changed from Channel 5 this year. They'll also have a highlights show for the midweek games as well, which is very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Corholio wrote: »
    Quest are showing the Championship/Football League highlights tonight at 9pm, changed from Channel 5 this year. They'll also have a highlights show for the midweek games as well, which is very welcome.

I'm sort of sorry I posted this now :P The show on Quest was an absolute shocker. Letterboxed screen, top and bottom of screen cut off, video quality like something from a 1995 VHS and a studio that looks like one from a 3am ITV show.

Reflects terribly on the football league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Sunderland -Attendance: 31,075

Even with new season optimism that is very impressive considering what has happened with that club recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Some game in the Championship, Forest vs. WBA.. Forest nearly scored a screamer from just outside their penalty box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Some game in the Championship, Forest vs. WBA.. Forest nearly scored a screamer from just outside their penalty box.

Super goal to equalise and very nearly a second too. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Super goal to equalise and very nearly a second too. Great game.

End to end stuff!

Hard to see Steve McClaren lasting the rest of the week.

He was mental to take that job in the first place but another shambolic performance after conceding 6 goals in the second half to lose 7-1 at West Brom a few days ago.

• Advertisement

Raging Leeds don't have QPR soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Paully D wrote: »
    Hard to see Steve McClaren lasting the rest of the week.

don't know how a decent eneogh manager becomes so bad, so quickly , but he has

Stoke struggling too is odd, wasn't expecting that.

Is the villa Brentford game dirty? Just saw quick ht highlights and should be at least 1, most likely 2, red cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pre-season favs stoke, 22nd and 2pts after 4 games.

Looking at their lineup tonight, so many big names who are probably shocked they are in the championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Was at Hillsborough last night. Massive confidence boost for the kids being blooded. Gonna be a tough season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

retalivity wrote: »
    Pre-season favs stoke, 22nd and 2pts after 4 games.

Looking at their lineup tonight, so many big names who are probably shocked they are in the championship

Lots of big names but they’re still kind of low on quality I think.

• Advertisement

Northampton Town have sacked yet another manager, Dean Austin the latest to go.

Keith Curle next on the managerial conveyor belt for Northampton Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Keith Curle next on the managerial conveyor belt for Northampton Town.

Decent appointment, Curle did a fairly good job at Carlisle.

Another goal for Ronan Curtis last night. This came from a Pompey fan's site:
    Jackett's well-oiled machine grinds on- resolute and relentless. It's hard to recall a start as good as this- in any of the successful promotions in the last thirty years. The spine seems impressive and the unit has a touch of talismanic flair in Curtis. Long may it continue.

Leeds vs Brentford should be a cracking game. I'd expect lots of goals in this one, Leeds maybe get the win.

• Advertisement

0-0 at half time but it's been a great game of ball. Both teams pressing high and have had chances. Leed probably had more of the ball but Brentford look slightly more dangerous when breaking forward.

Can't say I'm surprised the ref gave that with how he's been today

1-0 Brentford from the penalty spot, looked like a dive by Watkins, Maupay with the goal.

1-1, Late goal from a free kick. I feel Leeds deserve to win this. 4 minutes injury time.

1-1 final score, very enjoyable game to watch. The dive annoyed me and I feel over the 90 that Leeds were the better team and deserved the win. That was denied them bt Watkins cheating dive.

Wonder will Watkins face a ban for simulation now. Unlikely, but Leeds will likely have two suspensions from the game

Ipswich actually winning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Coventry v Wycombe was an interesting game in a swirling wind. Coventry much the better side, but just cannot get a goal.

In contrast with Akinfenwa and Mackail Smith upfront, Wycombe were shockingly bad. Still they could've snatched a draw with the last kick with the keeper blazing a corner just over the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That's a scandalous decision that went against Forest tonight. How did the linesman not see it; he was right in line and had an unobstructed view of it.

blueser wrote: »
    That's a scandalous decision that went against Forest tonight. How did the linesman not see it; he was right in line and had an unobstructed view of it.

It's delicious to actually get a decision for once. Think it was going in too, not that that would've mattered if was cancelled out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement