Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The EFL Thread 2018/2019 - Championship/League 1/League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Chris Wilder and Alan Knill are some team. Worked miracles at Northampton before doing the same with Sheffield United.

what type of football do Sheffield play - is it the hoofball of old ??

Norwich are supposed to play good football , as do leeds and Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lads what happened Leeds? Havent looked at the table in ages but at Xmas they looked certainties for straight promotion.

Also Norwich/Sheff Utd- are they in anyway equipped financially/player wise to stay at least a season in the PL or are both likely to go straight back down?

Thinking that at Christmas is the problem, long way to go then.

Don't think Norwich will do much next year. Wilder at Sheff Utd is great manager, they fell away late last year. In fairness, the top 3 this year could in no way be predicted. Leeds finished 15th last year, Norwich 14th, Sheff Utd were like 9th. None of the relegated teams did much, although WBA have a chance at coming back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

thebaz wrote: »
    what type of football do Sheffield play - is it the hoofball of old ??

Norwich are supposed to play good football , as do leeds and Villa.

Nah not as much hoofball. Good solid defence, like to play. Can do a few styles well, but will need to improve the personnel for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mushy wrote: »
    Nah not as much hoofball. Good solid defence, like to play. Can do a few styles well, but will need to improve the personnel for next year

I haven't really seen much of how Sheffield United play, but he was the same at Northampton was keen to have a solid back four, he liked wingers and midfielders who could play, but put themselves about a bit too.

Not overly hoofball, especially by league Two standards.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mushy wrote: »
    In fairness, the top 3 this year could in no way be predicted. Leeds finished 15th last year, Norwich 14th, Sheff Utd were like 9th. None of the relegated teams did much, although WBA have a chance at coming back up

Yeah crazy as it seems now, Stoke were the most fancied team before the season, followed by Middlesboro and West Brom IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's madness going on at Elland Road.

Leeds scored against Villa when it looked like they were going to put the ball out. Villa were furious, player got sent off, and Bielsa has instructed Leeds to let Villa score, which they have.

1-1 now.

And having seen the replay Bamford got the player sent off by feigning to be struck. My goodness, we haven't heard the last of this sh*t show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kicking the ball out is nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

AdamD wrote: »
    Kicking the ball out is nonsense

In this case, Villa had put the ball out in a similar situation earlier and Leeds looked like they were about to reciprocate as the player with the ball seemed to stop playing as did everyone else only then to spot a teammate in space and play him through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Brentford awarded 1-0 walkover as postponed Bolton match will not be played.
    “Following the decision taken by Bolton Wanderers’ Safety Advisory Group (SAG) to issue a Prohibition Notice preventing Tuesday’s rearranged Sky Bet Championship fixture with Brentford from taking place, the EFL will not be asking that the game is played at a future date.

“There is no provision under EFL Regulations to direct Clubs to play at a later date than four days past the conclusion of the season and, as a result, it has been determined that Brentford will be awarded the three points on the basis of a 1-0 victory.

“As a consequence, Bolton Wanderers is now deemed to be guilty of misconduct by the EFL which will result in disciplinary proceedings against the Club being taken at an appropriate time.

“The decision to award the victory to Brentford is taken under Regulation 33.2 and is independent of the proceedings referred to above.”

Bolton Wanderers must be very close to administration

• Advertisement

So then the longest standing professional affiliated league club in the world has been relegated. Fare thee well Notts County.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Oh Derby why do you always do this to me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

rodge68 wrote: »
    Oh Derby why do you always do this to me !
    Are they about to sh1t the bed? Mind you, one goal and you're laughing.

65' Bennett M. on
    71' Bennett M. goal
    71' Bennett M. yellow card

peno and Derby 3-1 Harry Wilsooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon :)

Penalty ?? No way..

blueser wrote: »
    And there you go. 2 goals in a few minutes. Mind you, that penalty decision was VERY iffy.

And there you go. 2 goals in a few minutes. Mind you, that penalty decision was VERY iffy.

Never a penalty but I'm not complaining..
    Leeds next...

rodge68 wrote: »
    Never a penalty but I'm not complaining..
    Leeds next...
    I bet you're not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wouldn't be like a liverpool player to benefit from a dodgy penalty :D

So it's Leeds vs Derby and West Brom vs Villa. Two very exciting ties. Hoping for a Leeds vs Villa final.

• Advertisement

So it's Leeds vs Derby and West Brom vs Villa. Two very exciting ties. Hoping for a Leeds vs Villa final.

No love lost between Derby and Leeds after the spying shenanigans and response to same, and whilst they aren't bitter enemies (and not their actual derby game) West Brom and Villa should have a bit of an edge too.

No love lost between Derby and Leeds after the spying shenanigans and response to same, and whilst they aren't bitter enemies (and not their actual derby game) West Brom and Villa should have a bit of an edge too.

Anyone any thoughts on who will come through? Villa seem to be the most fancied team but as usual you could make a case for any of the four.

Bolton enter administration.

Derby look the weakest side, very young, with a suspect defence due to lobsided squad and Lampards own lack of tactical development. Their history in promotion play offs is poor as well. Also as the side that qualified 6th they statistically are the least likely.

Bolton enter administration.

Derby look the weakest side, very young, with a suspect defence due to lobsided squad and Lampards own lack of tactical development. Their history in promotion play offs is poor as well. Also as the side that qualified 6th they statistically are the least likely.

But they're probably the form team of the four, scoring lots of goals, whereas Leeds haven't won in four. Glass both half full and half empty for them all...

No love lost between Derby and Leeds after the spying shenanigans and response to same...

No love historically, guess both were big sides in the 70s and fought for league titles, you had Brian Clough switching sides, Franny Lee squaring up to Norman Hunter etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mon Salford. Deserve to be in the football league.

RasTa wrote: »
    Mon Salford. Deserve to be in the football league.

I'd sooner have seen another of the former league teams back in League Two, but as it is, I'll be cheering for the underdogs.

I'd sooner have seen another of the former league teams back in League Two, but as it is, I'll be cheering for the underdogs.

Salford then? Flyde's owner is a UKIP supporting Farage loving millionaire brexit lad

Salford then? Flyde's owner is a UKIP supporting Farage loving millionaire brexit lad

Fylde, purely because they're outsiders.

• Advertisement

Comfortable for Salford. Can see them progressing through League 2 next season too.

No chance imo, was hard enough this season.

No chance imo, was hard enough this season.

I think because Salford like to play a bit of football it might actually be easier, whilst it's still a lot of hoofball, it's a decent step up in the hoof/skill percentages from the conference.

Plus I think they'll be backed again, and you don't need millions in league 2 to make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mike Dean celebrating Tranmere's play off semi final win is something else. Great stuff, proper supporter :P.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1128038877036535810?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sheffield United owners already at war before summer has even begun - doesnt look good for such a big season ahead for the club
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-48260517

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Come on the Brom down to 10

Extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

almost pens, pens always good when you don't support any team taking them

Penalties.

Steer saves the first two for Villa great saves as well.

Villa win on pens and are into the final thanks to two great saves from Steer.

Villa win on pens and are into the final thanks to two great saves from Steer.

And West Brom's somewhat unconventional choice of penalty takers. A guy like Hegazi would be about ninth in line for most teams facing into a shootout...

• Advertisement

Wow Derby putting it up to Leeds:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Some match!

Wow! 3 - 3! Cracking match

Leeds down to ten.

4 - 3 to Derby, crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd