Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Security Cameras

Options
  • 30-07-2018 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Apologies in advance for the long post - Can someone please recommend outdoor home security cameras. I’m not hugely tech savvy and completely new to home security so something that’s easy enough to use.

I’m not sure what I’m looking for is available but basically I own a home which is in a rural location, my young son & I will be moving into it very soon (house is currently being remodelled, we’ve lived in a different county for a number of years & only recently returned) and I’ve noticed that someone is entering the property at night whilst I’m not there and taking things, silly things like plants, shore covers (!?!), moving items around etc. Yesterday I’d painted the metal doors of my shed quite late before I left and obviously unbeknownst to this person it was still wet so I arrived this morning to handprints on the surrounding walls. I keep to myself so I don’t really know anyone locally and since it’ll just be my son & I, I’m quite concerned to catch whoever it is before we move in (closest overnight maned Garda station is 30mins away!). House itself is set on half an acre and is closest to the front, the shed is down the very back of the property so large back yard but they appear to be coming through the front gate, I’ve large walls at the front so can’t see them scaling them. They’re literally coming in and out my front gate with no fear it would appear. I can’t lock the gate as the postman needs access to deliver the post and I work during his delivery times. And to be honest locking the gate at night and reopening in the morning before I head to work whilst I’m not living there would add an extra hour of travelling to our mornings.

So I need a camera which triggers when someone approaches the gate and app alerts me, one with decent night vision that I can get a good image from.

Again I’m really sorry about the post being so long just very on edge and I thought as much information as possible about what I require and why would help with suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Something like an external Nest camera if you are in your wifi zone is easy to set up.

If you want something with more umph behind it a professional intruder alarm installer might help

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KFKerry wrote: »
    I can’t lock the gate as the postman needs access to deliver the post and I work during his delivery times. And to be honest locking the gate at night and reopening in the morning before I head to work whilst I’m not living there would add an extra hour of travelling to our mornings.

Perhaps put a post box on the outside wall for the postman to use and you can thus leave the gate locked.

In addition to Stoners recommendation of Nest cameras, I'd also recommend motion activated external lights, helps to deter people.

Lots of external cameras exist in addition to the Nest cameras.
    - Yi Outdoor Cameras, just £80
    - Logitech Circle Camera 2

Note all the above require power is run to them. Battery only versions don't require power, but have other disadvantages are:
    - Arlo Pro 2 cameras
    - Blink

Note all of the above required good quality wifi.

You then also have CCTV systems, etc.

Advertisement