Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed

• 30-07-2018 6:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

My LO is 5 months on the 3rd. In the last week he has started spitting out his dummy in the night and fidgeting. I get up and give him back his dummy and he settles. This is happening nearly every hour. He is teething and has his first tooth. The fidgeting starts from bout 2am onwards. He needs the dummy to settle him to go to sleep. Do I just go cold turkey and take away the dummy altogether? I’m wrecked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

id be slow to take the soother off him that young, its a great tool to keep them happy for a long time yet. unfortunately the downside of soothers it the spitting out, dropping down the side of the cot, losing under the bed, being licked and chewed by the dog etc,etc,etc.

he will figure out putting it back in, leave a few of them in the cot with him and get one of the little chains you can clip onto the babygrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

id be slow to take the soother off him that young, its a great tool to keep them happy for a long time yet. unfortunately the downside of soothers it the spitting out, dropping down the side of the cot, losing under the bed, being licked and chewed by the dog etc,etc,etc.

he will figure out putting it back in, leave a few of them in the cot with him and get one of the little chains you can clip onto the babygrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Put the dummy in his hand. Guide it to his mouth and put it in. Hold his hand over the dummy until they are side it's in.

That's what I did for my son and very quickly he learned to do it for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It could be related to the 4 month sleep regression?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Never had a dummy for my 3 kids..they didn't need one and learned to self soothe from day one. I would try wean your lo off it..see how you go. It's so much handier in the long run. The dummy popping out must be waking them up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd say it's a sleep regression more than a dummy issue.....do you want to stick with the dummy?How else would you get him to sleep if he doesn't have one?(asking that seriously).Been through a desperate sleep regression with my first at around 14 weeks til about 17 weeks, it was hell, sounds exactly like what you described.Just had to stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I went cold turkey with the dummy at 3 months for this reason. Was driving me soft and more hassle than good so just took it off her. Shes a great sleeper now, never wakes at night and goes straight to sleep once shes in the cot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Just take it off him for good - day and night. They're a nipple substitute - but how many babies have a nipple in their mouth all night? That's right - none of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just take it off him for good - day and night. They're a nipple substitute - but how many babies have a nipple in their mouth all night? That's right - none of them!

Eh, loads of them. My buddy still has her 4 year old in the bed with her on a boob all night.

Much easier to drop a dummy into the bin than a boob.

Advertisement