Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Assurance

• 30-07-2018 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi All,
    When we took out our mortgage in 1998 we got life assurance. We got a letter today telling that the policy terminates at the end of August (with the mortgage). To renew for 10 years the monthly premium will be €581 or €906 for 23 years (a ~15 or 25 fold increase in the premium).

To me it looks like they are treating the renewal as a brand new policy rather than a continuation of an existing policy and pricing it to reflect this.

Do I have any options here?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes it's a conversion option (no health evidence required) and it is priced on your ages now.

Assuming you are in good health you have all sorts of options depending on your requirements.

As always get proper advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

cantwbr1 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    When we took out our mortgage in 1998 we got life assurance. We got a letter today telling that the policy terminates at the end of August (with the mortgage). To renew for 10 years the monthly premium will be €581 or €906 for 23 years (a ~15 or 25 fold increase in the premium).

To me it looks like they are treating the renewal as a brand new policy rather than a continuation of an existing policy and pricing it to reflect this.

Do I have any options here?

Do you need life insurance or mortgage protection?

For life insurance, that figure is extortionate. Have you priced around? I went with Royal London via Labrokers.ie when I shopped around. I pay around 20 EUR per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goyourownway

This is a conversion option. It was probably sold to you on the basis that it looked cheap in the short run as the term was short however to extend to a suitable term would cost a lot more. I work as an independent financial advisor and always recommend that clients effect level cover until a suitable age from the outset. I would shop around and look at level cover before taking up the conversion option.

Advertisement