Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging cheque

Options
  • 30-07-2018 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a cheque payable to me and my husband. It is account payee only.

We don't have a joint account and have both signed the back of cheque as OK to pay.

Can I lodge this to my BOI account? Will there be an issue? We don't plan on having a joint account so we do not have any other way of lodging cheque. Will be lodging through machine at branch

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

frogstar wrote: »
    Hi

I have a cheque payable to me and my husband. It is account payee only.

We don't have a joint account and have both signed the back of cheque as OK to pay.

Can I lodge this to my BOI account? Will there be an issue? We don't plan on having a joint account so we do not have any other way of lodging cheque. Will be lodging through machine at branch

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.
    If the cheque says account payee only on it, it would have to be lodged into a joint account in both of your names as it cannot be endorsed. If you don't plan on getting a joint account between you, I'd ask you to get in contact with the issuer of the cheque and they should be able to re-issue a cheque either in one of your names or without "Account payee only" on it so it can then be endorsed and lodged into one of your sole accounts.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks for reply but no option to get cheque redrawn so I'll have to open a joint account with boi just to lodge and close down once cleared

Seems like a waste of time for all involved esp if my husband will be there when lodging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks frogstar for coming back to us.

A new joint account can be opened online here - https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/bank/current-accounts/personal-current-account/how-to-apply/

We're sorry the issuer of the cheque is unable to arrange it in sole name for you. The conditions on the cheque 'account payee only' restrict us from allowing the cheque to be endorsed.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement