Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Mature Griselinia hedging plants Slig

Options
  • 30-07-2018 10:54am

Any recommendations for, (local or otherwise) for sourcing mature griselinia hedging plants? As mature as possible.

I often take cuttings for my own garden, but I need mature plants to get a hedge going asap. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Try http://westernplantnursery.ie out the Ballina road in Skreen. I've dealt with Jack there and he may be able to help you.

• Thanks Sean, will def check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Alternatively, if you can, wait until January when bareroot season is on in garden centres. Get larger hedging plants for less €2-€4 depending on variety and size.

• FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Alternatively, if you can, wait until January when bareroot season is on in garden centres. Get larger hedging plants for less €2-€4 depending on variety and size.

Thanks for that FV. Is there a likelyhood that griselinia in pots will be bigger than barerooted plants? I'm trying to get as mature/large as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Thanks for that FV. Is there a likelyhood that griselinia in pots will be bigger than barerooted plants? I'm trying to get as mature/large as possible.

You can get larger but I'd say youd pay e40 a plant for something about 6ft. I cant remember off the top of my head what sizes they went up to bareroot I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Bareroot are generally abut 1-2ft high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 emmetdoc1991

Just be very careful with Griselinia... can be very susceptible to serious frost damage and Death...
    be possibly better if you look at Laurel ( very fast growing) and green privet ( Doesnt look dissimilar)

Take it from someone who knows! lol

planted 300 of them 4-5 year ago and were killed within 18 months

Even the guy in the nursery advised me on not putting them in even though he had thousands of them... No talking to me

• Thanks emmetdoc1991.

I think its the local climate that can be the decider (?). I'm near the coast and the Laurel gets damaged badly by the wind. Griselinia fares much better. Then again I lost a lot ot hedging, particularly griselinia in the big freeze a good few years ago.

I take cuttings of griselinia every year from my garden, for my own garden, just stick em in the soil, about this time, and 8 our of about every 10 take no problems, and the same with Laurel but the Laurel doesnt do well in the wind.

Its just I wanted to have an immediate large hedge, or as good as it can get. I could be waiting 6 or more years for the cuttings to get big enough (?).

But I hear what you're saying, another big freeze like we had about 8 years ago (?) and the griselinia could fare badly. Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Ok...
    Yes but the laurel Generally is relatively well tolerant of windy conditions, as long as its not 'TOO BIG' at the start as it can cause thing called wind rock( Means that wind moves it around it so much cause its too big doesn't allow the roots to settle in ground)...

Id say Green Privet would be ideal for your job by sounds of it...

Thanks again

Is it a large area?

• Advertisement

• Is it a large area?

Its small enough, about 14ft max, just at front of house. Prb just need about 6 to 8 mature hedging plants.

Blimey, just thinking you took a bit of a hit, 300 plants. Did you replant with success?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Pity you didn't want them lasst year. I could have given you any amount of cuttings. My mother in law instructed me to cut down 20 of them. She was sick of looking at them for 15 yrs. In fact you could have had roots and all. they were over 10 feet high.

Advertisement