Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was there an accident on the N7/M7 last night?

• 30-07-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

or was that Garda car there just to cause maximum disruption?

From what I saw, the Garda car in the middle of the roads works with the lights flashing was causing a disruption as everyone slowed to 0 out of fear of getting caught speeding in the ridiculous 60kph zone.

There appeared no other reason for her to be there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

There were two accidents in the evening.

Surely they don't do it for a craic...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Slowed to 0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

RobAMerc wrote: »
    fear of getting caught speeding in the ridiculous 60kph zone.

Do you mean the 60 kph zone where the road works are in operation in the centre of the dual carriage way ? Where there is no hard shoulder and the lanes are as narrow as they could possibly be to facilitate two lanes ? Where there are men working just feet from the lanes and the road surface is uneven at best ?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

tossy wrote: »
    Do you mean the 60 kph zone where the road works are in operation in the centre of the dual carriage way ? Where there is no hard shoulder and the lanes are as narrow as they could possibly be to facilitate two lanes ? Where there are men working just feet from the lanes and the road surface is uneven at best ?

The one with this road sign?

my-dad-works-here-new-signage-erected-on-the-m7-to-urge-motorists-to-slow-down.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Was on it last night at 9pm, traffic very heavy even at that hour with people heading back to cork and Limerick after the match in croke park. Was heavier than it would be on a typical Friday evening to be honest, all booths open at the toll in port laoise and still a backlog, not something I'd seen before, traffic coming to a stop in random places like the monasterevan exit???, everyone driving like grassholes as well of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

I must have missed those workers when I have passed by after normal work hours! I'll be more observant in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

That information on that big dial is of no relevance when the same brigade slow down to crane their necks gawk at a breakdown on the opposite side of a motorway .. beggars belief!

I hate listening to traffic news which refers to slow traffic because of 'rubber neckers' as this somehow legitimises the practice .. call a spade a spade and refer to same drivers as dangerous, incompetent, a scourge to society [whatever works for you]!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

creedp wrote: »
    That information on that big dial is of no relevance when the same brigade slow down to crane their necks gawk at a breakdown on the opposite side of a motorway .. beggars belief!

I hate listening to traffic news which refers to slow traffic because of 'rubber neckers' as this somehow legitimises the practice .. call a spade a spade and refer to same drivers as dangerous, incompetent, a scourge to society [whatever works for you]!!!

The same traffic news that every morning at 6.40 am reminds drivers to leave extra distance to the car in front when it's raining, reminds drivers to switch off fog lights in built up areas when it's foggy etc..

Half the problem in this country is we leave driver education up to the girl on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Actually wondered about that myself. Took me bones of 2 hours to get from city to portlaoise toll.
    At one point around junction 14, the traffic was actually stopped for around 15mins with people parked up and walking around on road etc to stretch legs and relieve themselves....
    I passed a bit of a crash not long after so fair enough but speed of traffic through roadworks earlier ( no workers at that hour) was just plain dumb, it was about 5kph, then we passed the Garda car in the median and traffic speed up to 60.
    I do think just the fact she had flashing lights on was enough to cause minor panic and serious slowing down.
    Traffic broke my heart yesterday, normal 3 hour journey Cork to Dublin took 4.5 up and 5 down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Not from 6pm till about 6 am this morning there wasn't.
    And if you couldnt keep in your own lane at 100kph through that section you should be on the bus !
    ba_barabus wrote: »

my-dad-works-here-new-signage-erected-on-the-m7-to-urge-motorists-to-slow-down.jpg

Daddy wasn't there for a good 12 hr period.

I saw no accident, there was a squad car on the site causing people to slow down which had the knock on effect of causing huge tailbacks later.

Looked to me like every car was then accelerating away to 60 directly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

ba_barabus wrote: »

As a rule, I don't follow instructions written in Comic Sans. I'd be more likely to speed up.

The same traffic news that every morning at 6.40 am reminds drivers to leave extra distance to the car in front when it's raining, reminds drivers to switch off fog lights in built up areas when it's foggy etc..

Half the problem in this country is we leave driver education up to the girl on the radio.

I despair when I see the M1 / M50 overhead signs displaying - water on roads .. slow down - because a large number of drivers must automatically switch on the 'awfully wet road mode' in their brain and start crawling even though nothing more than a shower of rain has fallen ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Well, what normally happens is people see the blue lights brake as a reaction and everyone doing similar causes a massive tailback.

If there was no accident ( which I could not see and no Garda was out of the car ) then their sitting there with the lights on is just stupid - and typical horsesh*t "being safe" by slowing everybody down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Traffic was horrendous going up and down to Dublin from Limerick (...bit sweeter on the way down after the win..Luimneach Abu!)

Usual story, people not using the two lanes of a motorway correctly.

At one stage yesterday morning, 70% of the traffic is in the over-taking lane as a result no flow of traffic.

I lost count of the number of times I was behind a car doing 90 -100kph in the overtaking lane with the inside lane completely empty.
    A polite indicator to pull in or a flash just goes completely ignored.

Road safety association badly needs to record an infomercial for broadcast.
    It’s appalling the level of poor driving (in general in this country) on motorways.

Rant over😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Thats not realistic because the 60kmh limit is not realistic

The legal limit should be 80 kmh in my view

I generally set cruise at 90 kmh myself conditions and weather depending

Well clearly I dont set speed limits

However when im driving I use my experience and common sense instead of slavishly following limits that make no sense.

For example theres a country lane near me that has a dangerously posted high limit of 80kmh. You would want a death wish to drive anywhere near 80 kmh along it so I adjust my speed accordingly

Similarly on the m7. I drive to the conditions not the limit as the 60 kmh limit is too slow for the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

If everyone was going 60 or less nobody would need to brake whether there were blue lights or not.

People are stupid, they will still brake when they see blue lights regardless of whether they are below the limit or not.

If the guards were just sitting there "policing" the motorway they should get a kick up the hole for disrupting the flow of traffic.

Who said you should drive at 80 down the lane? You don't have to drive as fast as it, you're just supposed to keep below it. Preposterous argument.

The last bit is the biggest joke of all. It's not dangerously slow, people going above it are what make it dangerous. If you want to speed you want to speed but just be man enough to admit it instead of trying to make it out to be something honourable you're doing.

You're not getting the point

Ill try another way..

The 80 kmh limit I mentioned is to demonstrate that speed limits are not always appropriate

The 60 kmh limit on the m7 is an example of an inappropriate limit as is the 80 kmh on the country lane
    I mentioned

Its not about "wanting to speed" either. Its about using common sense and applying it to the particular conditions and not what a big round sign tells you

Breaking speed limits is not common sense, it's just impatience and a false sense of your own abilities no matter what way you dress it up to justify it. You want to speed.

Anyway, I don't know why it does annoy me so much. Just hopefully you won't maim me or anyone belonging to me and that'll do. Carry on.

Grand

just make sure you keep to the left lane as you toot along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

McCrack wrote: »
    You're not getting the point

Ill try another way..

The 80 kmh limit I mentioned is to demonstrate that speed limits are not always appropriate

The 60 kmh limit on the m7 is an example of an inappropriate limit as is the 80 kmh on the country lane
    I mentioned

Its not about "wanting to speed" either. Its about using common sense and applying it to the particular conditions and not what a big round sign tells you
    The difference is, driving below the posted speed limit is not illegal.

Driving above the posted speed limit (regardless of your opinion of it, you don't get to decide) is.

I'd love to see you try that argument on a judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Stupid people braking when they didn't need to brake is what disrupted the flow of traffic.

And what caused them to brake in the first place?

If the guards weren't there, the disruption wouldn't have happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Neilw wrote: »
    And what caused them to brake in the first place?

If the guards weren't there, the disruption wouldn't have happened.

So they would have continued to drove through over the speed limit?

Too be honest. I'm of the opinion people are given too many chances on that stretch of road. Just set up a fixed speed camera already.

Advertisement