Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking blind spot when changing lanes

• 28-07-2018 4:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭

Sorry to drag up an old thread, so what is the given rule on this that must be adhered to on the test. I'd be of the opinion that if you are switching lanes while the car is in motion, and are as close behind as the 2 second rule, taking your eye off the front for a split second could be a disaster. If you are further behind and have ample room to look, go ahead, if traffic is relatively tight I'd check my rear and middle internal mirror for a decent period while signalling for at least 4 or 5 seconds, then move right.

Certainly I'd look behind my shoulder when taking off from a stationary parked position or switching lanes from a stationary traffic jam. But in motion 2 seconds behind another car in tight traffic in a built up area?

What's the general consensus? To me, glancing behind and turning back takes the best part of a second. Plenty of time for the car infront to jam on the brakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from a 5 year old thread as things may have changed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your instructor should be able to advise you on what an examiner expects. When I did the test, their interest in blind spot checks was when I was taking off from a stationary position. In fairness though, there is also a need to look slightly towards the window (without going far enough to put chin over shoulder) to make sure nothing is beside you. You'll be surprised how little of that you'll see in mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭kaymin

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, so what is the given rule on this that must be adhered to on the test. I'd be of the opinion that if you are switching lanes while the car is in motion, and are as close behind as the 2 second rule, taking your eye off the front for a split second could be a disaster. If you are further behind and have ample room to look, go ahead, if traffic is relatively tight I'd check my rear and middle internal mirror for a decent period while signalling for at least 4 or 5 seconds, then move right.

Certainly I'd look behind my shoulder when taking off from a stationary parked position or switching lanes from a stationary traffic jam. But in motion 2 seconds behind another car in tight traffic in a built up area?

What's the general consensus? To me, glancing behind and turning back takes the best part of a second. Plenty of time for the car infront to jam on the brakes.

I'd almost always give a glance over my right shoulder when intending to move into right lane, whether I'm on my motorbike or in my car. On a motorbike it's essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mike Hoch wrote: »
    To me, glancing behind and turning back takes the best part of a second. Plenty of time for the car infront to jam on the brakes.
    Then you're too close :)

Tbh, your instructor will tell you what to do.
    But I think as long as the examiner sees you checking it should be ok. A quick glance might not be clear enough for him or her to notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you have to be making enough observations that you keep an up to date picture of what is going on around you. If you aren't able to make observations fast enough that you feel something could happen in front of you which you wouldn't be able to react to then you are driving too fast for the situation.

Check your mirror, indicate your intention to change lanes, check your blindspot and move into that space which you are now certain is clear.

What good is being so afraid of what could happen in front of you that you may completely ignore what could happen beside you?

It doesn't take one second to glance over your shoulder, your mirror should be adjusted in such a way that you are checking a very small piece of road to see if it is clear. If your mental picture of what is happening around you is good enough then you are just filling in a tiny bit of missing information which could take only the amount of time it takes to physically move your head.

In tight traffic in a built up area while in motion is exactly where you need to be observing your blindspots for cyclist / motorbikes / other cars

• Advertisement
Advertisement