If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG TV - 65SJ800V or OLED55B7V

Options
  • 30-07-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I see both TV's are priced in and around the same. Just looking for an opinion on whether the 55" OLED would beat the 65"? 

Would the nano cell technology thats in the 65SJ800V really come anywhere near the quality of OLED?

Also with the OLED being able to decode Dolby Atmos does that mean that if my non-atmos AVR is currently set up as a 7.1 that it could be reconfigured as a 5.1.2?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

kellyg6 wrote: »
    I see both TV's are priced in and around the same. Just looking for an opinion on whether the 55" OLED would beat the 65"? 

Would the nano cell technology thats in the 65SJ800V really come anywhere near the quality of OLED?

Also with the OLED being able to decode Dolby Atmos does that mean that if my non-atmos AVR is currently set up as a 7.1 that it could be reconfigured as a 5.1.2?
    Hi kellyg6,

Thanks for the post!

The OLED55B7 is a much better buy than the 65" LG. The 65" is still a great TV but the panel is nowhere near as good as the OLED in terms of colour, contrast and brightness. I find with the OLED panels, because they don;t have a backlight as such, the background is much crisper with more depth and detail. On HD and 4K nothing really touches the OLEDs.

In terms of Atmos, your AVR would need to be able to decode Atmos as you can't reconfigure a standard 7.1 amp to Artmos if it doesn't have the hardware. The TV itself will decode atmos if a source is sent through it but if you want to listen to Atmos properly through an AVR you would need to upgrade the AVR as well.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kellyg6

Hi kellyg6,

Thanks for the post!

The OLED55B7 is a much better buy than the 65" LG. The 65" is still a great TV but the panel is nowhere near as good as the OLED in terms of colour, contrast and brightness. I find with the OLED panels, because they don;t have a backlight as such, the background is much crisper with more depth and detail. On HD and 4K nothing really touches the OLEDs.

In terms of Atmos, your AVR would need to be able to decode Atmos as you can't reconfigure a standard 7.1 amp to Artmos if it doesn't have the hardware. The TV itself will decode atmos if a source is sent through it but if you want to listen to Atmos properly through an AVR you would need to upgrade the AVR as well.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the info. 

A brand new AVR might be a bit of a stretch, but not an impossibility. Ceiling installed speakers for atmos would probably be a no go. I'd need a cleaner install. 

I've been looking at the Onkyo HTS5805 as an all in one option or the Denon AVRX2400 with the addition of 2 Atmos front speakers like the Onkyo SKH410's. Any thoughts on either of these options?

Hi kellyg6,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

Thanks for the info. 

A brand new AVR might be a bit of a stretch, but not an impossibility. Ceiling installed speakers for atmos would probably be a no go. I'd need a cleaner install. 

I've been looking at the Onkyo HTS5805 as an all in one option or the Denon AVRX2400 with the addition of 2 Atmos front speakers like the Onkyo SKH410's. Any thoughts on either of these options?
    Hi kellyg6,

It depends on what speakers you already have. If you have good surround speakers I would go with the AVRX2400 and the SKH410s as they will be a massive improvement over the Onkyo all in one system. The Denon is better spec'd than the Onkyo and also the separate Atmos speakers will give you a better sound than the all in one system.

let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kellyg6

Hi David,

I currently have Yamaha NS-P20 speakers that I picked up a few years ago. Assuming these are OK what price would I be looking at for the - 

LG OLED55B7V
    Denon AVRX2400
    Onkyo SKH410

And if the Yamaha's aren't good enough what could you suggest.

Hi David,

I currently have Yamaha NS-P20 speakers that I picked up a few years ago. Assuming these are OK what price would I be looking at for the - 

LG OLED55B7V
    Denon AVRX2400
    Onkyo SKH410

And if the Yamaha's aren't good enough what could you suggest.
    Hi kellyg6,

I can do a deal on the LG OLED65B7 and do £200 off so you would be looking a total of:

£2430 including shipping.

The Yamahas would be a good starting point however if you are looking to upgrade the speakers we do bundle deals with the Denon AVRX2400 so you can save if you buy together. We have the AVRX2400 with the Monitor Audio Mass pack which is one of the best 5.1 satellite systems we stock. The usual price together is £924 but I can do them together for £789 meaning the total for the LG, Onkyo Atmos, AVRX2400 and Mass pack would be £2895.

Let me know if you'd like to go for either of these deals!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.