Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked

Options
  • 30-07-2018 2:30pm

Went to see this in Bord Gais, and was very underwhelmed. A musical tells its story through song. Unfortunately, most of the songs were drowned out by the music. The references to Wizard of Oz seemed thrown in Willy nilly and did nothing for the story. I had hoped that the second half would improve, but unfortunately it seemed to rush the story leaving more questions than it answered.
    The music was good and the singers performed their hearts out, but were smothered by the music. The set, costumes are dancing were all great.
    All in all, very disappointing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not sure how you could have questions outstanding unless they've changed it since I last saw it. Maybe read the book it's based on, by Gregory Maguire?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I saw it on Friday night and loved it. I didn't know the story in advance and was able to follow it easily. Shame you found the music too loud. We were in the upper circle and could follow it perfectly.

Caranica wrote: »
    Not sure how you could have questions outstanding unless they've changed it since I last saw it. Maybe read the book it's based on, by Gregory Maguire?

Probably should have done! Usually you get to understand the story from the show. This wasn’t the case here. In my opinion, the music drowned out the singing somewhat. I’m just curious to know if anyone else thought the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Probably should have done! Usually you get to understand the story from the show. This wasn’t the case here. In my opinion, the music drowned out the singing somewhat. I’m just curious to know if anyone else thought the same?

I've seen it 11 times, only once in Bord Gais. Sound is always dreadful there for musicals. PM me if you need any questions answered ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Weirdly I was at it the other night and when it started I felt the music was kind of muted, and was too low compared to the singers.

I had seen the show the last time it was here and that time I felt the same as you, that the music was too loud....although I was not too far from a speaker so my opinion might be skewed there.

I wonder were they tinkering with sound levels on different nights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I went to the Matinee on Saturday with my wife and son and I enjoyed it, although I felt that the songs weren't great, and I had definitely been to better shows. The others loved it though.
    I thought Defying Gravity was the best bit, such amazing power and emotion.

If you're in anyway familiar with the Wizard of Oz I'm not sure what remaining questions you would have about the story, but I suppose the associations of some of the characters were a bit clunky.

The costumes and set design were amazing, some of the best I've seen, but I do agree that the second half definitely felt rushed especially compared to the overly drawn out first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been to the BGT before for other musicals and have found it lacking in the past. The quality and levels of the music has always been off. This time we were pretty much in the middle of the Circle and thought it was spot on.

Overall, the sets, the performances and the intensity from the performers was amazing. This is a really quality production.

My biggest gripe is how unbalanced the two halves of the show are. I think you could end the show at the interval and you'd walk out on a high after just hearing "Defying gravity".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dudara wrote: »
    My biggest gripe is how unbalanced the two halves of the show are. I think you could end the show at the interval and you'd walk out on a high after just hearing "Defying gravity".

I was thinking the same thing. The first half was actually quite long and the song was such a big number I actually thought that was the end at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I went to this yesterday. I was blown away. The cast are extremely talented, Nikki Bentley as Elphaba in particular. She has an incredible voice. I knew Defying Gravity is the center piece of the show, but I wasn't expecting that. Absolutely amazing! I loved the little references to The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz. Some of the jokes were great too "There's a goat on lam" being one that still has me tickled.

Advertisement