Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

providing wifi access to guests

Options
  • 30-07-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Ive an airbnb and as a result i offer access to my home wifi to my guests.

I want to create a sign in protocol for them as i want to be able to restrict what sites they can lookup and have a record for any possible illegal activity.

Is there a cheap way of doing this or will i need to spend serious money to have this in place

Another possibility might be to just have a login procedure but I dont know what i need to arrange something like this.

Anyone any ideas where i should start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Does it matter what they look up given its from their own devices? Think you might be making work for yourself.

Starbucks et al aren't liable for what people look up on their wifi are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

dball wrote: »

I want to create a sign in protocol for them as i want to be able to restrict what sites they can lookup and have a record for any possible illegal activity.

Is there a cheap way of doing this or will i need to spend serious money to have this in place

Another possibility might be to just have a login procedure but I dont know what i need to arrange something like this.

What router have you,did you check can you set up a guest wifi network and you probably set up a blacklist of sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You can usually set up guest access on most routers. Another option would be a cheap router and give them access through this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

what your looking for is a device with content filter and that can do splash pages or something fro guest access . You wont get something cheap. examples meraki etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Get familiar with the admin console on the router!

The link below is just an example from VirginMedia of parental controls they provide (blocking sites).

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/support-by-products/broadband/online-security-safety/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doop wrote: »

But they have a landing page where you agree to terms to hopefully exempt them from your actions and giving relevant DP permissions.
    Wheety wrote: »
    You can usually set up guest access on most routers. Another option would be a cheap router and give them access through this?

Guest APs just silos them from your local VLAN. Not what the OP needs.
    shanec1928 wrote: »
    what your looking for is a device with content filter and that can do splash pages or something fro guest access . You wont get something cheap. examples meraki etc

The term is a captive portal. Meraki is expensive but hands off.
    verycool wrote: »
    Get familiar with the admin console on the router!

The link below is just an example from VirginMedia of parental controls they provide (blocking sites).

https://www.virginmedia.ie/customer-support/support-by-products/broadband/online-security-safety/

Totally not fit for that purpose.

Ubiquiti would probably be a first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

For the money you are making from Airbnb it might be better putting in a secondary internet connection. Like an efibre line etc.

You'll really need to add in some low to mid range networking and security kit for what you're looking to do and it's just not worth it imo.

there is no obligation on you to take any credentials or details from your customers as of yet.

Meraki, Clearpass, junipers etc will cost money and way to much to justify in a domestic setting.

Don't worry to much what people are doing tbh.

Doop wrote: »
    Does it matter what they look up given its from their own devices? Think you might be making work for yourself.

Correct. Businesses who provide guest access are not even obliged to have a tandcs page displayed. The reason they have captive portals are purely for marketing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dball wrote: »

You are becoming a data controller by keeping a record of what your clients look up, big GDPR and AirBnB issues with this.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are becoming a data controller by keeping a record of what your clients look up, big GDPR and AirBnB issues with this.

Exactly. That is why i wouldnt bother woth a captive portal etc. Its data you dont want.

Advertisement